Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Daniel N. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Radioclare wrote: I have no idea what 'regres' means though, beyond the fact that it seems like it's some sort of extra pay they normally get in addition to their basic salaries :? Maybe some sort of bonus??

You've already got the right answer; I'd just add that, like progres, it's one of these words stressed on different syllables in different parts of Croatia, and that stress usually doesn't move for these words (i.e. they behave like koncert).
1 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Thank you both :)

The characters in the series seem to be stressing it on the first syllable:

0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 pm

17 March
A more relaxing day at home today :)

Russian
I finally got around to making notes on and doing the exercises in chapter 12 of TY Russian today. The exercises were actually quite useful. Later on I started chapter 13, which had some more detail about uses of the dative.

This morning I also watched a few more Russian videos on Youtube. I tried the latest Russian Progress video without subtitles; I'm still not sure whether it's better practice with or without :lol:

This evening I found a copy of the text and audio for Twilight and listened to the first chapter while reading along. I know the first chapter really well because I've used it a lot for Croatian practice, but even with that it was really tough for me to follow in Russian. I just did it as an experiment really and confirmed that my Russian is worse than my Croatian was when I started trying to read in Croatian. I haven't decided yet whether it's worth me trying to read a few pages intensively every now and again, or better just to wait until it's not so painful :lol:

Total time = 154 minutes. Streak = 76 days

Croatian
I started reading a translated novel: 'Tajna povijest Moskve'. It's rather....odd! People are disappearing by turning into birds, and there's a subset of people who are living in a parallel universe underground. All very surreal.
2 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:29 am

Radioclare wrote:Thank you both :)
The characters in the series seem to be stressing it on the first syllable:

The series is set in a fictional border town on the Bosnian border, which is maybe one reason why they use standard stress all along, because that's mostly the standard stress area. Another, obvious reason is that it's... standard. So they say ponašate you (y'all) behave and so on.
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:54 pm

18 March
Today was quite a productive day because I was working in Birmingham.

Russian
I got through all my Memrise/Anki reviews on the train and then used the walk to work to make a start on lesson 20 of Pimsleur. I finished it at lunchtime and by the end of the day I managed to walk for long enough to get through all of lesson 21 as well. To be honest, they weren't terribly useful lessons as they were mainly teaching how to ask people whether they've got children and say how many children you've got. But I've decided that, since I only do Pimsleur when I'm in Birmingham and my schedule means I'm only working in Birmingham for a couple of days a week at the moment, I need to make the most of those days to get through as much Pimsleur as possible :lol:

Inspired by finding the text and audio of Twilight in Russian last night, I decided to install LWT on my computer. In a fit of over-optimism, I convinced myself that I could do this because I'd successfully installed it on a previous computer a few years back. I even went back through old logs to locate a useful post from Brun Ugle which I remembered following to install it last time. If I'd managed it last time, surely I could successfully follow the same instructions now...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, an hour later I was ready to throw my computer at the wall. LWT is probably the only thing which makes Anki seem user-friendly. Eventually, after a significant amount of googling, I realised that last time I'd installed this damn thing I was using Windows 8.1 and the instructions are slightly different if you're on Windows 10.

I managed it in the end, but I haven't managed to get the Glosbe dictionary working for Russian. I don't know why - I did manage to get it working for Croatian in 2017, so there's no logical reason for this. Instead I found instructions online for how to set up the Word Reference dictionary as Dictionary 1 and Forvo as Dictionary 2. I normally love Forvo but I don't think it's terribly useful for translations, so I'll have to make another attempt at getting Glosbe to work at some point...

Anyway, after all this effort, I was then able to use LWT to read the prologue to Twilight. If you're familiar with the book, you'll know it's a mere 100 words or so. So the effort definitely feels worthwhile :cry:

I decided to cheer myself up by definitely quitting Anki and starting off my list of useful vocab from TY Russian in Memrise instead. Based on the ratio of words added to time spent so far, I'd say it's at least twice as quick to add the words to Memrise than to add them to Anki. I hope the whole Decks app thing works out. I cancelled my Memrise Pro subscription but I couldn't get a refund, so I've still got Pro until it was due to run out at the end of October anyway. It sounds like that will enable me to use the Decks app offline, once it's created, and I guess by the time my subscription runs out in October I'll be in a better position to judge whether I want to subscribe again.

Total time = 150 minutes. Streak = 77 days
7 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Radioclare wrote:18 March

I, somehow, read that as "I was working in Belarus" and became vicariously quite excited.
2 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:45 am

PfifltriggPi wrote:
Radioclare wrote:18 March

I, somehow, read that as "I was working in Belarus" and became vicariously quite excited.

I'm sure working in Belarus would be a lot more exciting than working in Birmingham!
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:00 pm

I love LWT but yeah, it’s an experience!
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 pm

19 March
I was working in Birmingham again today. Not Belarus. And not quite as productive as yesterday.

Russian
I only managed one lesson of Pimsleur today (22) because I had too much on to get out of the office at lunchtime. I am finding Pimsleur useful but on the other hand I do wish it could move a bit faster. I'm a bit sick of asking people how many children they have now. Also - in a new slightly creepy development - the man has given up on asking the woman out for a drink, but instead is going to her room and asking where her husband is (and the husband is never there...) :lol:

Commuting was a nightmare this morning because some poor passenger on the preceding train had been taken seriously ill, resulting in two train's worth of people trying to fit into one train, but I managed to wedge myself into a corner where I had just enough space to do Memrise on my phone. I experimented with the new Decks website, but it's definitely not as easy to use as the app.

This evening I've been trying hard with LWT. I put the first few pages of the first chapter of Twilight into in and have been going through, marking the words. It feels like incredibly slow progress at the moment, but obviously there is always a huge time investment up front when you start LWT with a new language and have to mark all the words you already know. So I'm hoping that if I put in a bit of effort this week, it will start getting easier quickly :)

Total time = 201 minutes. Streak = 78 days
5 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 pm

Radioclare wrote:I was working in Birmingham again today. Not Belarus.

:) Perhaps someday. I know I'd love to go there.

Radioclare wrote:Commuting was a nightmare this morning because some poor passenger on the preceding train had been taken seriously ill, resulting in two train's worth of people trying to fit into one train, but I managed to wedge myself into a corner where I had just enough space to do Memrise on my phone. I experimented with the new Decks website, but it's definitely not as easy to use as the app.

I just looked at the new website, and good gravy, is that ugly. In addition, they didn't seem to take into account that translations of web-pages sometimes result in text which is physically bigger or smaller, so a number of buttons were misaligned and the whole site looked rather amateur. Still not really sure as to what they were trying to do with this whole thing, tbqh.
2 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Return to “Language logs”