Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:17 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Brun Ugle mostly clicks easy, but I suppose if I were learning a language that were completely new to me, I might click good more. Are many Russian words sort of recognizable from Croatian? If they are, then I’d click easy.

Yes, recognisable words I am definitely clicking easy :) I had организация (organisation) and революция (revolution) the other day and definitely clicked easy for both of those. But the deck I'm making from the TY Russian book is exclusively words that I don't know/absolutely couldn't guess from elsewhere, so what I meant really is that I am forcing myself to click "good" when I manage to spell them correctly (or almost correctly!) rather than "hard" (which would probably be my instinctive response otherwise!).
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm

I was just using the Memrise official Russian course to learn some new food and drink vocabulary and I got confronted with this sentence to learn.

Is this a big thing in Russia? It sounds a bit... odd :shock:
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Radioclare wrote:I was just using the Memrise official Russian course to learn some new food and drink vocabulary and I got confronted with this sentence to learn.

I'm allergic to honey, but I believe that, even if I weren't, my stomach would have turned over just the same. Ugh, I have to go eat breakfast shortly, and while thinking of that.
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Radioclare wrote:Is this a big thing in Russia? It sounds a bit... odd :shock:

The things I'm learning. It seems to be! According to the wikipedia article about vodka (flavoring section) "In Russia, vodka flavored with honey and pepper, pertsovka in Russian, is also very popular." :shock: I had no idea about vodka with so many types of flavours.

1 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:05 pm

I like honey and I like pepper, but I really can't imagine them together :shock: I don't think this will be top of my list to try when I go to Russia!

2 March
I felt like I didn't sleep very well last night and I've been tired all day today. Any studying of Russian has only been possible with large doses of coffee :lol:

Russian
I started chapter 8 of TY Russian. This chapter actually has some new grammar for me - the short form of adjectives - which hasn't been mentioned as far as I've got in the Penguin book so far.

The main news about today is that I've read two books in Russian. Yes, I'm making rapid progress now and am on track to be fluent in three months :lol:

No, erm, this was the intellectual level of the books in question:
rsz_1rsz_120190302_131228.jpg

So they're basically books for small children learning to read :) Which is somewhat above my level in Russian right now, but I managed to get through them with a dictionary and learned some useful new words along the way. And I have put the useful new words into Anki, of course.

Total time = 181 minutes. Streak = 61 days

Croatian
I haven't done anything this week except keep up with the five new episodes of my current series. I have picked up some new words this week. In one episode, the characters were baking cakes for a "karmine", which seems to be the social event you have after a funeral. I'm not sure what you'd call it in English; I was going to call it a wake, but technically I think a wake is before a funeral rather than after it. Also some of the episodes this week have featured a dog and one of the characters has been referring to it using a word which sounds to me like "ćuko".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 am

I wrote this last week but I keep forgetting to submit :D
Daniel N. wrote:A short overview is here.
Wow thanks. I honestly don't always notice whether i'm reading "Serbian" or "Croatian", although Serbian is normally easier to me. Ekavian of course looks very familiar (and comforting tbh) in writing, but while speaking I actually tend to insert j before E, like in Russian, so Ijekavian is often easier to pronounce :lol:
Btw a tip: in the "Serbian" wikipedia you can switch every article from Cyrillic to Latin and back.

I agree that it's a bad idea to attempt to learn Serbian seriously before starting Russian in autumn. Consider just dabbling, like learning the alphabet, listening to songs, reading about the grammar if you enjoy it (without trying to learn the rules etc).
---
As for перцовка, I've definitely heard of it but I didn't realize it contains honey. I think it's mostly just a way to soften the taste of pepper, just like many foods and drinks contain sugar without tasting sweet.
I don't think медовая водка с перцем makes sense :? Seems like перцовка с мёдом is a more common way to say it.
Also, most yandex hits are for home-made varieties that are supposed to help you fight off a cold. To find references to Nemiroff you have to include it in the search. (they also call their pertsovka Ukrainian btw)

makes me wonder if rakija with pepper exists :lol:
I tried horseradish vodka in Minsk last year. definitely didn't feel any hint of honey :x :(
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:30 pm

3 March
I had a day at home so theoretically I should have achieved loads, but it still feels like there weren't enough hours in the day to get through everything I wanted to do. I have come to the conclusion that I could probably learn Russian if I didn't have to work for a living. But unfortunately my numbers didn't come up in the lottery last night :lol:

Croatian
I feel sad about how much I'm neglecting Croatian at the moment. I started reading a new novel today: 'Salon za plakanje' by Pavao Pavličić. I think I've read four of his books so far, so he's probably my most read author in Croatian. This one is a detective story about a missing actress. I'm only 43 pages in so far, but it's fun and easy to read.

Russian
Today I read a book by Tolstoy so I guess I've achieved fluency in less than 3 months :lol: No, it turns out that Tolstoy wrote children's stories too and I had a little book with some of them in. They were nice little stories about animals - although not always with happy endings - and just about readable for me. Well, I get bored of looking things up in the dictionary quite easily, so I mostly just attempted to read and only looked things up if the word I didn't know seemed very important. The pictures helped :D

I must say I got extremely excited when I got to this page and recognised the word поворачивал; all the hours of misspelling on Memrise suddenly felt worth it :lol:

As you might have guessed, I've started exploring my shelf of Russian resources which have been gathering dust for quite some time. I also realised I had this book of short parallel texts. They start very simply and get progressively harder. If I try to read one per day I could finish the book in a month, but this may be overly ambitious. The best thing about it is that there is free audio online and I feel like the more audio I have at the moment, the better.

What else? I finished chapter 8 of TY Russian. The rest of the chapter was about the instrumental and there were also lots of useful phrases for ordering food and drink. And I spent some more time being frustrated with Anki!

I've been listening to some songs by the band Мумий Тролль today. So far this one is my favourite:

Total time = 184 minutes. Streak = 62 days
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Radioclare wrote:I was just using the Memrise official Russian course to learn some new food and drink vocabulary and I got confronted with this sentence to learn.

OMG yes. So yummy.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:08 pm

dicentra8 wrote:
Radioclare wrote:Is this a big thing in Russia? It sounds a bit... odd :shock:

The things I'm learning. It seems to be! According to the wikipedia article about vodka (flavoring section) "In Russia, vodka flavored with honey and pepper, pertsovka in Russian, is also very popular." :shock: I had no idea about vodka with so many types of flavours.

This is the exact one we always had in our freezer when we lived in Russia.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:22 pm

IronMike wrote:OMG yes. So yummy.

Does it taste of pepper? Or of honey? I still can't really imagine it :?

4 March
Today turned out better than I expected. I had a meeting in a town about 70 miles away at 1pm, which is always an awkward time for a meeting, and I had an unrelated deadline I needed to meet before I left for my train, so I envisaged today being kinda stressful. But actually, I met the deadline, the train was on time and it even had Wi-Fi, so I was able to deal with emails on the way to/from the meeting :)

Russian
I didn't use all the time on the train to work; I did some Memrise and some Anki in both directions. I always feel a bit guilty doing anything other than working when I'm on a train in working hours, but I convinced myself that if I had a car and was driving to the meeting, no one would be expecting me to be working during the journey :lol:

This evening I watched a new video on the Russian Progress Youtube channel. I was extremely excited to recognise the word достопримечательность being used in the wild!

I completed the third chapter of the easy Russian reader I mentioned yesterday. I started typing the words up to import into Anki but I lost the will to live. Well, I finished typing the words up, but I gave up partway through sorting out the audio. I am still not finding using Anki very inspiring.

Total time = 143 minutes. Streak = 63 days

Croatian
I actually ended up getting home from my meeting around 17.30 (first time this year I've got home in daylight!!), so I spend some time reading 'Salon za plakanje' and I'm really enjoying it :) I learned a new word - 'kolnik' - which basically seems to be a road. As in, the bit of the road that cars drive on as opposed to the pavement where pedestrians walk.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”