Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:36 pm

StringerBell wrote:I've been to Trento but never made it as far as Bolzano. Are the pyramids like the ones in Zone, or totally different? Do you feel like it's a place definitely worth visiting? Does anything in particular stand out?

Yes, they look exactly like those :-) I do think Bolzano is worth visiting. I've only been to Trento briefly on a day trip, but my impression was that it still felt culturally very Italian. Once you get to Bolzano and the villages beyond, things start to feel more Germanic and it's a really interesting combination of cultures. You're still in Italy and everyone is able to switch to speaking Italian without blinking, but people seem more likely to address you in German first and the food really makes you feel like you're in Austria rather than Italy. It's an interesting area with an interesting history, plus some beautiful views of the mountains. I am definitely not a museum person but the archaeological museum in Bolzano is one of the few museums I've genuinely enjoyed in recent years; as Iverson has alluded to, there's a really good exhibition there about Ötzi the Iceman.

21 December
It was forecast to rain all day in Bolzano today so we travelled north to Brenner, a small village on the Austrian border. It was high enough there for the rain to be snow, which was really pretty :-)

Russian
When I got back in the evening I tackled the rest of chapter 17 of Penguin Russian. It feels like I've been on this chapter forever now but I finally got to the end. I made notes on the section about how to say what year something happened in etc and then I did the exercises. They didn't go as badly as I expected, although my mind is still a bit overwhelmed by when things should be in the genitive and when in the prepositional. I do feel like I am making a bit of progress with the future perfective too, which obviously wasn't the aim of these particular exercises but which did crop up in them a bit. I've now reached a point in the book which surpasses my Memrise course, so I should really try inputting the vocabulary tomorrow (and hope that Forvo is working again!).

Total time = 32 minutes. Streak = 355 days
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:15 pm

22 December
More snow today. And I got to see earth pyramids in the snow, which was pretty cool :)

Russian
Not a very exciting language update today I'm afraid. I spent some time this evening typing the vocabulary from chapter 17 of Penguin Russian into Memrise. The good news is that by doing it, I established that a lot of the words weren't truly new to me, which is one of the benefits of studying from multiple textbooks :) The other good news is that Forvo seems to be in working order again, although I haven't quite finished downloading the audio for all the words in this chapter yet.

Total time = 42 minutes. Streak = 356 days
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:11 pm

23 December
I flew back from Verona to London today, so it's mostly been a day of travel.

Russian
While I was waiting at the airport for my plane to board, I spent 15 minutes clearing my Memrise reviews. During the flight I then spent half an hour or so reading chapter 18 of Penguin Russian. This chapter is mainly about comparatives, which is a topic of Russian grammar which still confuses me a lot. I think this textbook is well written and the explanations are really useful, but there was too much information to absorb in one go. I'll have to work through the chapter properly taking notes over the next few days.

Total time = 46 minutes. Streak = 357 days

Croatian
For the rest of the flight I was reading a Croatian translation of '1984'. I haven't read this book for years, so my memory of it is quite hazy. I found the first few pages in Croatian a bit hard to get into, but I'm now about 90 pages in and enjoying it :)
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:26 pm

24 December
Christmas Eve! We always go to see my family in the evening, so I had to get my studying done earlier in the day.

Russian
I watched a new Russian Progress video, which was an interview with the grandmother of the guy who makes the videos. It was all about her life, so it was quite interesting. I only had time to watch it once so I watched with subtitles with the hope of understanding as much as possible. I should probably try to rewatch it without the subtitles, but Christmas is such a busy time I don't know whether I'll get around to it.

After the video, I just had enough time before I needed to go out to start making notes on chapter 18 of Penguin Russian. So far this has just consisted of copying out a list of adjectives and their comparatives.

Total time = 32 minutes. Streak = 358 days
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:36 pm

25 December
Had a lovely Christmas and received presents which include books in German, Croatian, Russian, Bulgarian and Esperanto. So I will certainly have plenty to read next year :)

Russian
I can safely say I've never studied Russian on Christmas Day before :lol: It was actually quite hard to fit it in, but one of my presents was a reusable notebook and I was quite excited about trying that out, so I took lots of notes about the comparative from Penguin Russian and the first two exercises from that chapter too.

Total time = 65 minutes. Streak = 359 days
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Radioclare wrote:25 December
Had a lovely Christmas and received presents which include books in German, Croatian, Russian, Bulgarian and Esperanto. So I will certainly have plenty to read next year :)

Pictures of the books, please!

Oh, and Happy Christmas!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:44 pm

26 December
Today was spent at home, mainly packing because tomorrow I'm flying to Narvik in Norway.

Russian
I got some new earphones for Christmas and - once I'd figured out how to use them - I tried them out while clearing my Memrise reviews on my phone. I'm still getting lots of adverts for special offers if I resubscribe to Memrise, but I've so far still failed to find a single feature which I miss from Premium.

I then made some more progress with chapter 18 of Penguin Russian. I finished the part on comparatives and made notes on superlatives, doing another exercise. The rest of the chapter is about relative pronouns which seem fairly straightforward (by the standards of Russian grammar) so I saved those for tomorrow. I have a pretty long layover in Oslo airport tomorrow so planning to do some studying then.

Total time = 58 minutes. Streak = 360 days

IronMike wrote:Pictures of the books, please!

Oh, and Happy Christmas!

You may regret asking for pictures of the books... there are a lot!

Bulgarian textbook (very excited about this, it's written by Ronelle Alexander who did the really good BCS books)
rsz_2019-12-26_161726.jpg

I've also got some new Russian textbooks...
2019-12-26 161739.jpg

Then I've got some novels in Bulgarian...
2019-12-26 162030.jpg

...some novels in Russian...
2019-12-26 162103.jpg

...some novels in Croatian...
rsz_2019-12-26_162000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:46 pm

...some novels in German...
rsz_2019-12-26_162316.jpg

...and finally a handful in Esperanto!
rsz_2019-12-26_162208.jpg

Hope you and the family had a lovely Christmas too :)

PS. These photos are all the right way up on my computer, but whatever I do I can't get them to upload to the forum with the right orientation :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:21 pm

Definitely let me know how that Bulgarian textbook is. I love her BCS books. And I love the Eo translation of the Bridge on the Drina. Such a wonderful book!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:57 pm

It seems like you have your family well trained. That's a lot of books!
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Language logs”