Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Daniel N. » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 pm

overscore wrote:The Albanians also borrowed, this time from Persian آدر present in all the iranian langs.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... /%C4%81tr-

the words for 'fire' are fascinating in southern slavic, you have also 'ignite' in the form of "oganj".

Maybe. Hovever, oganj/ogenj doesn't mean "ignite". It simply means "fire". In non-Štokavian dialects (i.e. Slovenia and Western Croatia) it's the only word for fire.

There are more such words where Štokavian stands apart from western dialects, and indeed most Slavic, e.g. kiša "rain".
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Thank you for the recommendations IronMike :)

17 September
I spent most of today answering emails and patiently explaining to people who found out I'd been to Bulgaria that no, I didn't go to Sunny Beach.

Russian
I had a few more Memrise reviews to do this morning, but not enough to fill my entire journey because my train was delayed (animals on the line!). I couldn't face any more Duolingo so I did a bit of Clozemaster instead. Plenty of reviews for me to get through there and I enjoy it (/find it quite addictive) BUT I'm doing it as multiple choice so I'm not sure how much I'm learning from it.

In the evening I continued with putting the Colloquial Russian vocab into Memrise. All typed up now - 157 words from this chapter and most of them seem to be verbs of motion :lol: I still have to add the audio, but that's a job for tomorrow.

Total time = 36 minutes. Streak = 259 days
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:07 pm

18 September
One of those days where it feels like you're running to stand still!

Russian
Memrise reviews on the train and then I found I was actually missing having Pimsleur to listen to on the rest of my commute. I wish the old Glossika was still a thing; I would definitely have bought the audio files for Russian at this point. I think I need to try to find some more Russian podcasts to listen to while walking.

This even I watched a 20 minute video about St Petersburg. I didn't understand it all, but the bits I did understand were interesting and it was fun to recognise places that I'd seen.

Then I finished uploading the audio to Memrise for all my verbs of motion from chapter 14 of Colloquial Russian. So tomorrow I can finally start practising them properly in Memrise :)

Total time = 68 minutes. Streak = 260 days
2 x

overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Postby overscore » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:50 am

Daniel N. wrote:
overscore wrote:The Albanians also borrowed, this time from Persian آدر present in all the iranian langs.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... /%C4%81tr-

the words for 'fire' are fascinating in southern slavic, you have also 'ignite' in the form of "oganj".

Maybe. Hovever, oganj/ogenj doesn't mean "ignite". It simply means "fire". In non-Štokavian dialects (i.e. Slovenia and Western Croatia) it's the only word for fire.

There are more such words where Štokavian stands apart from western dialects, and indeed most Slavic, e.g. kiša "rain".

Well yeah, all slavic languages have their own features that set them apart from the rest, like Polish losing the stress system, or bulgarian not having cases, or Slovenian having the double number. Keeps things very interesting that's for sure!

I'm sorry I should have said "ignis" and not "ignite", the former just means "fire" in latin from the same origin as "oganj" ultimately. probably something like h-g^w-ns in proto indo european?
it's a really ancient word for sure, *.
For some reason in our past the French decided to stop using it and now we have the rather cartesian term "feu".

* ps: I can't paste an Hittite word here :cry: .
This is a language learning forum, we should be able to paste obscure scripts. :cry:

edit: redacted. sorry i mixed up threads! :D
0 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:32 pm

overscore wrote:For some reason in our past the French decided to stop using it and now we have the rather cartesian term "feu".

Yes, this is the famous shift of meaning, "fireplace" (Latin focus) > "fire", which happened in (as far as I can tell) in all Romance languages. It's very important that the word vatër doesn't mean "fire" in Albanian -- it means "fireplace"; in Romanian, vatră is also "fireplace", but in South Slavic, the meaning shifted again "fireplace" > "fire", as in Romance.
3 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Daniel N. wrote:"oganj"

Seems to sound very similar to Polish "ogień" which means also "fire". We have also "ognisko" - bonfire.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 pm

19 September
A 12 hour day at work. I didn't get home until 21.30 and my first meeting tomorrow is at 08.00. Holidays are great, but dealing with the fall out from them is painful :lol:

Russian
I had great plans for completing my notes on prefixed verbs of motion this evening, but the world does not contain enough coffee to make that happen now.

I did my Memrise reviews on the train this morning and then started learning my chapter 14 vocabulary. On the way home, I listened to some old Russian Progress podcasts which I had on my iPod.

Total time = 42 minutes. Streak = 261 days
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm

20 September
Managed to get home before it was completely dark tonight in honour of it being Friday. It's been a long week!

Russian
I was a bit sleepy on the train this morning. I managed to clock up 25 minutes of Memrise, but I think I only spent that long on it because I kept getting words wrong and having to repeat them :lol:

There was a new Russian Progress video this evening with very slow/clear speech, so I watched that a couple of times, with and without subtitles.

I thought about studying more verbs of motion this evening, but failed to find the motivation by the time I'd got through the other things I needed to do. I'm feeling a bit frustrated with myself that I still haven't finished chapter 14 of Colloquial Russian though. My entire weekend is going to be dominated by Esperanto stuff and next week looks like being another week of late nights, so I'm not sure I'll be making much progress for the foreseeable future.

Total time = 38 minutes. Streak = 262 days
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 pm

21 September
Spent the day at Esperanto HQ cataloguing books in the library.

Russian
I didn't really have any free time until the late evening, at which point I did 30 minutes of Memrise so as not to lose my streak. I was pretty tired, so I didn't do anything else.

Total time = 30 minutes. Streak = 263 days

German
I finished reading 'Konklave' and thought it was a really exciting book. It's really interesting how a novel which mainly revolves around a group of elderly men sitting around doing nothing can be such a page-turner.

22 September
More cataloguing. It's quite tiring and it kinda feels like you're never making any progress.

Russian
When I'd finished the shelf I was cataloguing, I did a bit of Russian Memrise. I'm practising the verbs of motion in Memrise now and feel like I'm starting to get more familiar with them.

I also watched a short Russian Progress clip, which explained the difference between экономия and экономика. I had to watch it again when I got home because after the first attempt I couldn't remember which word was which :lol:

This evening I've spent a bit more time on Colloquial Russian and I think I've had enough of verbs of motion now; I'm going to move onto chapter 15 tomorrow!

Total time = 32 minutes. Streak = 264 days
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 pm

23 September
Didn't feel quite as refreshed today as I normally do on a Monday. I guess because it wasn't the world's most relaxing weekend.

Russian
I did Memrise on the train and I'm making good progress with the verbs of motion.

This evening I started chapter 15 of 'Colloquial Russian'. I read the first few dialogues and did the comprehension exercises. The first theme of this chapter is telling the time and I hate telling the time, especially in Russian where it seems to be extra specially confusing. So I chickened out of the exercises on telling the time and I'm going to do them tomorrow. Or possibly Wednesday; I'm anticipating tomorrow being a loooong day at work.

Total time = 43 minutes. Streak = 265 days
5 x

Return to “Language logs”