Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 pm

Radioclare wrote:My cat came back :) Goodness knows where she has been!

Дім там, де кіт. :D Seriously, though, I'm glad.
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:06 pm

18 April
Not a great day at work. Everything hit the fan on a project that's running behind schedule and has suddenly become urgent. I think next week is going to be a difficult one. But at least now it's Easter and I have four whole days off work, which is very exciting :)

Russian
I did my usual Memrise on the train and then I forced myself to do lesson 9 of Pimsleur 2 on the way to the office. I really didn't feel like it, but only doing things when you feel like them is a sure-fire way of never getting anything done :lol: Unfortunately this lesson had a fair bit about telling the time in it and I'm finding telling the time quite difficult, so I wasn't always getting the responses right. I kinda hoped they might continue with practising the days of the week but, for some reason, we've learned Monday, Tuesday and Friday but no other days :?

Total time = 52 minutes. Streak = 108 days
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:13 pm

19 April
I'm ashamed to say that despite being at home all day today, I've done hardly any Russian! The reason is that, after a bit of housework in the morning, I decided to prioritise doing planning an upcoming weekend in Italy which I've got booked for two weeks' time. I'm going to a part of Italy I haven't been to before and there are a lot of logistics to sort out, plus I'm a bit of an obsessive planner at the best of times, so this somehow seems to have taken up most of the day :oops:

Russian
I did 16 minutes of Memrise and I spent 16 minutes listening to a podcast on the Russian Progress channel. So I hit my bare minimum, but that's it. I will definitely do better tomorrow!!

Total time = 32 minutes. Streak = 109 days
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm

What part of Italy are you going to?
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am

StringerBell wrote:What part of Italy are you going to?

Cinqueterre :-) I've never been to Liguria before so I'm quite excited. It's only for a few days though. In July I'm going to Sicily for a week which is also a new region of Italy for me and I'm sure will be very different. Sicily is like my treat if I survive my week in Russia in June :lol:
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:20 pm

20 April
I thought I was going to do loads better today... and then I didn't! I had family commitments this afternoon and this morning I had to do some Esperanto work.

Russian
I did some Memrise before breakfast to make sure I'd done something at least, because nothing says "It's the weekend!" like doing some SRS in bed :lol:

More seriously, I did manage to finish chapter 18 of TY Russian and start chapter 19.

Total time = 42 minutes. Streak = 110 days
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:35 pm

21 April
Today went a bit better :)

Russian
I did episode 10 of Pimsleur 2 on the way to church this morning. It seems to have stopped at Monday, Tuesday and Friday for days of the week and moved on to other things.

I've also done quite a bit of Memrise, including entering the vocab from chapter 17 and sorting out the audio for it.

I also managed to get through all of chapter 19 of TY Russian. There are only 20 chapters in the book, so the end is in sight!

Total time = 112 minutes. Streak = 111 days
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 pm

22 April
Today has been the most productive day of the Easter weekend :)

Russian
I managed nearly half an hour of Memrise this morning. In recent weeks I've mainly been focusing on learning the vocabulary from my TY Russian book, but today I decided that I wanted to finish the official Memrise "Russian 1" course once and for all, so I did. It's got some really useful tourist phrases in it. I haven't decided whether or not to try the "Russian 2" course yet.

I did a bit more reading of Twilight with LWT (still stuck somewhere in the middle of chapter 7), but the main news is that I finally finished TY Russian :) Chapter 20 didn't actually take too long; I thought they might have saved some truly horrible point of grammar for the final chapter, but they hadn't :lol: I'm quite pleased to have finished it because I don't have a great track record when it comes to getting to the end of language textbooks.

Total time = 135 minutes. Streak = 112 days
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 pm

23 April
Back to work :(

Russian
I did some Memrise on the train in both directions today. I had quite a lot of reviews after my blitz of the Russian 1 courses yesterday.

I was in Birmingham but I didn't do a Pimsleur lesson on the way to work because I was too busy sulking about having to go to work :lol:

This evening I've started reading TY Russian Grammar. I've read bits of it before, but never the whole way through. It's written in a very accessible way so I figure it should be good grammar revision :)

Total time = 38 minutes. Streak = 113 days
4 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 am

Radioclare wrote:I'm quite pleased to have finished it [TY Russian] because I don't have a great track record when it comes to getting to the end of language textbooks.

Congratulations !! It's no small feat to finish a textbook for Russian.
I've also read that you watch Russian Progress, so I would be curious to know if you understand it well and how you would assess your current level, after almost 3 years (the search engine of the forum shows that you started in 2016).
5 x

Return to “Language logs”