Zelda's 2019 French Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: Zelda's 2019 French Log

Postby zjones » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Weekly Update Mar 16, 2019

French

I've been consuming a lot of French media and doing some monologue practice, but I haven't been doing as much DELF practice as I thought I would. My goal is to spend Sunday and Monday using French as much as possible, but not necessarily practicing for the exam. I'm already thinking about what resources I'll use for the DELF B2.

The exam is at 8:45am, which is going to be difficult considering that we just made the switch to Pacific Daylight Time (losing an hour of sleep). I've been trying to get my sleep back on schedule but it's very difficult to sleep and get up an hour earlier -- my husband, who works in sleep medicine, tells me that it can take weeks and sometimes even months for the human body to adjust backwards like that. :(

Even though I'm nervous about the speaking part of the exam, I'm psyched to be able to spend time speaking French with someone in person for the first time in my life.

Life

The following is going to get a little personal, so it's up to you if you feel like reading it.

As far as general life stuff goes, I'm bored and I want to get a part-time job. But I also feel stuck. It's been 3 years since I've worked, and I feel like I won't be able to explain that gap in an interview without discussing the health problems I had. I had a surgery 2 years ago which fixed the problem for the foreseeable future, but the health issue is very personal and only happens in women, which would be awkward to try to explain during an interview. I'm not sure what the protocol is regarding something like that... should I just mention it vaguely? Will I be asked questions? Should I mention it at all? All I have to show for my time off is French and my significantly improved health and mental health. I've also started volunteering for a local organization but only very recently.

But the longer I wait to get a job, the longer that gap becomes... :?

Plus, I really want to go to school. I'd love it and I'd be good at it. The plan is to start with an inexpensive community college to get a GPA and an AA, and then go to a university. The only thing holding me back is that I don't want to start college before we buy a house, because it will affect our finances (which are solid right now, but we'll have to renew our house loan in a couple months). I wish I had gone to school much earlier, but I was too scared... to be judged based on the score of a single exam... to be socially awkward in a group... to go into debt to get a degree that isn't in math or science.

I feel like a lost child again. It's stressful to make these decisions independently, but I know plenty of other people have gone through life without the support of their parents, family or community, so I refuse to allow that to hold me back like it has throughout my entire life. I am lucky to have my husband who is willing to support me.
4 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 pm

zjones wrote: It's been 3 years since I've worked, and I feel like I won't be able to explain that gap in an interview without discussing the health problems I had. I had a surgery 2 years ago which fixed the problem for the foreseeable future, but the health issue is very personal and only happens in women, which would be awkward to try to explain during an interview. I'm not sure what the protocol is regarding something like that... should I just mention it vaguely? Will I be asked questions? Should I mention it at all?

I think you should mention that you had to take some time off due to a health condition that required surgery, but now that you've recovered you're excited to rejoin the workforce (or however you want to phrase it). By law, I don't think they are allowed to ask you for specifics (though you probably want to confirm that) and I wouldn't volunteer any specifics. All they need to know is that you had a medical condition that was addressed and now you're back in action. Having gaps in employment is not uncommon. There are tons of reasons why this happens, so I don't think it automatically triggers employers to assume there's something wrong with you. As an example, after I started teaching, I took two non-consecutive years off, and I was never asked to explain why, so there's a good chance the people in the interview may not even ask.

It's exciting to hear that you are considering such big changes...the scarier those changes are, the bigger the payoff is likely to be!
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 pm

zjones wrote:I'm already thinking about what resources I'll use for the DELF B2...The exam is at 8:45am

All the best! I am convinced that you will do well! You have worked really hard and you will be rewarded! Dider's Reussir le DELF B2 has got plenty of exam practice.

All I have to show for my time off is French and my significantly improved health and mental health. I've also started volunteering for a local organization but only very recently.
Zelda, one thing that I have observed about you is that you are a fighter who does not give up. Unless you plan on working for the E Corporation, there is nothing wrong with having gaps for health reasons. Volunteering shows that you are socially aware, selfless and interested in giving back to the community. Learning French indicates that you display a tremendous amount of self-discipline in endeavours that you embark on. Do not sell yourself short: you will be able to impress anyone who interviews you!

Plus, I really want to go to school. I'd love it and I'd be good at it. The plan is to start with an inexpensive community college to get a GPA and an AA, and then go to a university... I was too scared... to go into debt to get a degree that isn't in math or science.
Your plan is financially sound and your aversion to enrolment in the past saved you from becoming indebted. You are able to make good financial decisions, and that is a very attractive attribute to employers.

Edit: Corrected my ghastly English (blame it on the French, German and Spanish! :lol: )
Last edited by Skynet on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Skynet wrote:Volunteering shows that you are socially aware, heartless and interested in giving back to the community.

:shock:
2 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 pm

eido wrote:
Skynet wrote:Volunteering shows that you are socially aware, heartless and interested in giving back to the community.

:shock:

"Heartfelt" ?? ;)
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 pm

javier_getafe wrote:
eido wrote: :shock:

"Heartfelt" ?? ;)

I wouldn't use that word either. "Heartfelt" has a different use.

EX:
"I give my heartfelt thanks to the committee for their contributions to our non-profit."
"It was a heartfelt notion."
"His heartfelt congratulations served to remind us he wasn't jealous."

It's never used in the context that @Skynet meant.
0 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:45 pm

eido wrote:I wouldn't use that word either. "Heartfelt" has a different use.

EX:
"I give my heartfelt thanks to the committee for their contributions to our non-profit."
"It was a heartfelt notion."
"His heartfelt congratulations served to remind us he wasn't jealous."

It's never used in the context that @Skynet meant.

Understood! :P
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm willing to bet Skynet meant "selfless" although *cringe*. Too many employers here in the US exploit lower-level and entry-level employees (google wage theft in the US), so there is already the expectation that employers can demand a lot of their employees without respecting employees' needs or right to compensation and get away with it. Moreover, women in the workplace already have to deal with expectations of being overly accommodating to the point that it negatively impacts our work performance and health, so don't volunteer for that up front. I would, as a woman, focus on qualities that aren't about getting treated like a doormat--attention to detail, desire to do your job well, professionalism, competency. If an employer expects you as a female applicant to volunteer up front to be treated badly--like be willing to work late without prior notice, help other coworkers with their job as well as doing yours, or attend meetings off-the-clock--it's not a job you want, especially as someone with a background of serious health issues. Take it from another woman with health problems who's quit jobs for all those reasons and several more. It's bad enough that most part-time jobs today demand irregular hours or other elements of percarity that makes the job more stressful--don't sign up for a job that's going to double that burden.
4 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 am

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I have barely been able to check the forum lately because of our trip.

I’m in Seattle now, and I just got done having a delicious dessert and sharing traveling stories with my uncle and aunt. The DELF is tomorrow early in the morning. I feel very calm about it. My husband is coming with me to the exam, which is super sweet. I guess he’ll just hang out around the Alliance Française and check out the surrounding neighborhood. The weather here is 70 degrees and sunny! Rare and beautiful for Seattle.

My fingers are crossed.
10 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am

Bon courage! :)
1 x