Brun Ugle の mehrsprachige bitácora (NO, ES, DE, JA) 2019 -- now with Polish!!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Brun Ugle の mehrsprachige bitácora (NO, ES, DE, JA) 2019 -- now with Polish!!

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 am

I have the same software for Polish, so I will concatenate the mp3s together into chapters. Or you can do it yourself with audacity.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle の mehrsprachige bitácora (NO, ES, DE, JA) 2019 -- now with Polish!!

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:14 pm

rdearman wrote:I have the same software for Polish, so I will concatenate the mp3s together into chapters. Or you can do it yourself with audacity.

Or I can use the lazy fist method and let you do it for me.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:I have the same software for Polish, so I will concatenate the mp3s together into chapters. Or you can do it yourself with audacity.

True, depends on how long you're willing to wait. ;)
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:22 pm

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

True, depends on how long you're willing to wait. ;)

Are you trying to be lazier than me in the hope that I’ll do the work? I probably will, but then you’ll complain that I did it wrong.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:The trip went something like this: 12-hour trip, beer, beer, kebab, beer, beer, beer, beer, lectures, beer, kebab, beer, lecture, beer, beer, beer…. you get the idea. On the last day, when everyone else went home, I went to Vienna to go to the bookstore. I had booked a hotel near the big Thalia bookstore on Mariahilferstrasse, to make things easier. I also went to a bookstore on the same street, but nearer the train station, where they sell books at reduced prices. They seem to be books that didn’t sell elsewhere or books with some small defect. I bought a couple of defective books, but I can’t figure out what the defect might be. They look fine. Maybe I’ll get to the end and the last page will be missing and I’ll never know whodunnit. I’d planned to seek out a few used bookstores too, but I was just too exhausted.

This reminded me of so much...where to start.

Beer and kebabs, sounds like a trip for me!...if I were still in my 20s. Oy. When I try to repeat that recipe nowadays, I'm hurting...

The book defect reminded me of a funny incident that happened to my step-father. He's a big boy, cajun from Louisiana. Loves reading westerns. Went to a used books store and bought a Louis L'amour Started it that night. He said he thought something was up when some of the characters got on a space ship. He looked at the cover. Nope, it's a western. Read a bit more. Nope, it's sci-fi.

He took the dust jacket off and looked at the hardback's cover. First thing first: the cover was put on backwards. In other words, he had to turn the book over and upside down to see the title, which was not the same as the dust jacket's cover. (I wish I could remember what the title and author were, but it wasn't a known sci-fi writer.)

The funniest part though is that he still read the book! He told me it was still a good story and he paid 10 bucks for it, so he was damn-well gonna read it.
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:50 pm

I've never been too keen on the Gathering, but it sounds like you had fun and if beer and kebabs are involved that could push me to go along to the next one! Plus an excuse for a little trip is always good.
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:01 pm

None of us are in our twenties anymore, except for Von Peterhof, so we’re all hurting, and even he looked a little worse for the wear when he left.

So far my book matches the description on the back, so I’m going to assume tiia’s theory is probably the correct one.

I forgot to mention our “daving” challenge. I think Rick might have mentioned it, but daving is the act of talking to strangers in your target language and is named after Dave who daves a lot, to the annoyance of the rest of us when we’re trying to go somewhere and he won’t stop talking. Well, this year there were rules and points and Rick even made a spreadsheet. I think he might have had his thumb on the scales when it came to scoring because he and I tied for first place, beating Dave. None of us managed to get the five point bonus for getting punched, but we still had fun and talked to a bunch of people.

I’ve discovered that I’m much better at daving when Dave isn’t around. I’m very introverted and have to have a reason to speak to someone and generally ease myself slowly into a conversation. He, on the other hand, is very extroverted and when I’m taking my time trying to set up my approach, he just elbows me out of the way (figuratively speaking) and starts talking and then nobody even notices my existence. However, when I was alone on the bus to Vienna, I got into a relatively long conversation in Spanish with a Mexican lady. Unfortunately, no witnesses meant no points.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:None of us managed to get the five point bonus for getting punched,

Slapped not punched! Punched would be a 25 point bonus. :)
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Brun Ugle の mehrsprachige bitácora (NO, ES, DE, JA) 2019

Postby StringerBell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I’d also like to find some thorough pronunciation training materials. So, I welcome suggestions on how to approach Polish if any of you have experience learning it.

I'm copying the info below from PP's log since you asked about pronunciation help.

Polish Paralysis wrote:One more thing that I have ommitted from the discussion but which is absolutely critical in my opinion for people wishing to learn Polish. Pronunciation! I am no linguist but I feel as if I am almost half way to being a self-taught one as a result of my struggles with Polish pronunciation. Being able to pronounce words is immensely important in helping a person remember them because there is always an element of subvocalisation in the process of remembering.

By far the best two resources that I came across for this were:
http://polfon.upol.cz/index.php?page=home
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFuOFZ ... deKFldaLGA (which I used to learn how to palatalise consonants.

On my Polish resources page, I have a link to a free Polish audio phrasebook course - you can download the mp3 files for free and have them either just in Polish, or first Polish, then English. If you are looking to loop some basic phrases and sentences, this might be of use to you.
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Polish Paralysis
White Belt
Polish B1
Mandarin Chinese B1
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10586

Re: Brun Ugle の mehrsprachige bitácora (NO, ES, DE, JA) 2019

Postby Polish Paralysis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I’m still looking for some other Polish materials that are easier for starting out with. I like Assimil, but I need something more than that, something that will feed me the grammar in a logical order. Assimil just sort of hints at things. I’d also like to find some thorough pronunciation training materials. So, I welcome suggestions on how to approach Polish if any of you have experience learning it.

Check out the log I've just created as well as StringerBell's log where he has a wealth of resources listed.

If you're looking for grammar in a logical order you might like something along the lines of Beginning Polish by Alexander Schenker whose book uses the audiolingual approach. It is slightly outdated though.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”