Lianne's 365 Days of French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Lianne's 365 Days of French

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:23 am

I'm sorry for your loss.

Lianne wrote:
And if Buffy is too hard to count as comprehensible input for me, then what am I supposed to watch? I hope that this is helping my French, but it's hard for me to tell if it is.
I don't know anything about Vampire Slayers and some other series. But you may want to watch something that contains a lesser amount of "specialized" (as opposed to generic) vocabulary. Fantasy-themed programs tend to contain a lot of terms belonging to their very own jargon. What I had been doing is watching some very every-day YT FR videos, maybe something about (real-world and non-scripted) conversations, some food subjects, and so on. Or also about anything of my Special Interests, because I already am very familiar with those, so it is easier to grasp the meaning of unknown words by context.

I actually don't find the fantasy jargon to be difficult in Buffy. I've watched so much of it that I'm easily familiar with the words for vampire, werewolf, demon, the Slayer, Watchers, etc. So any difficulty I have understanding the show is a general difficulty understanding French, not something specific to the Buffyverse.

Fantasy and similarly "specific" genres are absolutely ok for language learning! The amount of specialized vocabulary and jargon is actually not as high as people tend to imagine, and it gets repeated. Plus, it is definitely practical for any fan. A person enjoing Buffy is not that unlikely to enjoy for example True Blood or Charmed or another fantasy themed series or movie, and the vocab will be very useful in such a case again. Truth be told, if I were to exchange fantasy, scifi,and other such stuff for every-day YT videos, I would prefer to give up than deal with so much boredom :-D

One of my favourite sources on every day French were the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. The French translation was very good and I learnt so much from it! The "jargon" was a very small part (and I need the words anyways all the time, as a fantasy lover), and the language was overall much more natural and everyday needs focused than in many books without a single supernatural element. It depends on the particular author and book. And there are many such examples.

Buffy was recommended by emk and successfully used by a few more members.
If you enjoy it and can follow the plot, Lianne, it is a good resource. It's that simple. How far in the series are you? I usually notice a huge breakthrough by the end of the first season of my first tv series in a new language. In the following and new series, it usually comes earlier and earlier. You may need less or more time than me, but in any case don't expect too much perfection from the first few episodes and don't be too harsh on yourself :-)

edit:fixed the quotes
Last edited by Cavesa on Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:28 pm

Peppa Pig time! If that goes well, sample a dozen or so more advanced shows until you find something you can follow with relative ease. Audiobooks are nice too especially if you have advanced reading skills.
0 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Cavesa wrote:If you enjoy it and can follow the plot, Lianne, it is a good resource. It's that simple. How far in the series are you? I usually notice a huge breakthrough by the end of the first season of my first tv series in a new language. In the following and new series, it usually comes earlier and earlier. You may need less or more time than me, but in any case don't expect too much perfection from the first few episodes and don't be too harsh on yourself :-)

I enjoy it and can follow the plot, though that latter is really only because I know the show really well and remember the plot. I'm on season 4 of Buffy and season 1 of Angel, but that's over several years. I did nothing in 2018. So far in 2019, I have watched a total of 20 episodes, so less than one season.

I am finding it hard to tell whether my problem is more a lack of vocabulary/knowledge of the language itself, or trouble understanding what words they're saying; probably it's a combo of both. I seem to recall there being a website with transcriptions of the French audio somewhere... Maybe I'll track it down and look over a transcript before watching that episode, and see if that makes any difference.

reineke wrote:Peppa Pig time! If that goes well, sample a dozen or so more advanced shows until you find something you can follow with relative ease. Audiobooks are nice too especially if you have advanced reading skills.

I haven't tried Peppa Pig specifically, but when I have looked at kids' shows, they seem harder. There seems to be a lot of very fast talking, high squeaky voices that I can't understand at all, etc.
1 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

Lianne
Green Belt
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby Lianne » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Ooh I found the Buffy and Angel transcripts, if anyone else is interested!

Buffy: http://bufyvs.free.fr/series/btvs/transcript.php
Angel: http://bufyvs.free.fr/series/angel/transcript.php
2 x

Lianne
Green Belt

Postby Lianne » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 am

Day 27:
1 hour, 30 minutes watching Angel and Buffy
about 30 minutes Learning with Texts

I think I've heard of Learning with Texts a bunch of times over the years, but never gotten past that little hurdle of the installation. Well, today I did it, and it only took a few minutes. And I'm already addicted. I started by putting in the transcript of the next Angel episode I'll be watching (To Shanshu in L.A.). I want to see how well I know the vocab in the show, so that I can determine whether my main comprehension problem is vocab or auditory processing. Words that I didn't previously know, but could guess pretty well from looking at them, I'm marking as a 5 (on a scale of 1-5 for words I'm still learning). Words that I didn't know and that I couldn't guess I left as the default 1. In the first page of text, about 150 words, there are only 5 red ones (hard words). There are 12 green ones (words that were new but immediately made sense), and the rest are white (words I for sure already knew).

The tricky words:
déchiffrer - to decipher
rouleaux - rolls, or in this case scrolls
tandis que - whereas; while (one of those common phrases that I constantly get mixed up with other common phrases)
sucer - to suck
rendement - yield; productivity; output

So. This isn't the whole episode, but what I'm seeing so far is that my vocab is not that bad?? I mean I know I still have a LONG way to go in learning vocabulary, but this suggests that Buffy is at a decent level for me, and that my Auditory Processing Disorder strikes again. (I know this part is a struggle for everyone learning a new language, but the fact that I can barely understand people speaking my native tongue sometimes clearly isn't in my favour.) So, the massive Buffy input continues!
2 x

Lianne
Green Belt

Postby Lianne » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 am

Day 28:
about 1 hour of Learning with Texts
1 hour, 11 minutes watching Au service de la France

Learning with Texts is going well, though it's frustrating at the beginning because I have SO MANY words to deal with. I look forward to future texts when I'll only have to deal with the new words.

I started a new show. I know there are benefits to continuously watching one show, and I am doing that also! (I'm definitely continuing with Buffy, Angel, and Stranger Things.) But I really wanted to try out Au service de la France. I knew that a show made for honest-to-goodness French adults would be too hard, but then I remembered that since it's originally in French, the French subs would actually match the audio! So I decided to give it a whirl with the closed captioning on, and I can actually follow it well enough to find it entertaining. There are times when it gets complicated and I lose it, but for the most part I get the gist. I definitely need those subs though! Wow, do they ever talk fast! I'm not convinced they're actually saying every word out loud. :lol:
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt

Postby Lianne » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 am

Day 29:
1 hour, 10 minutes watching Au service de la France

Day 30:
23 minutes watching Au service de la France
10 minutes Memrise

Day 31:
30 minutes Learning with Texts
36 minutes watching Peppa Pig

Decided to give Peppa Pig a chance. The content is not exactly enthralling, but it is nice to understand what's going on when watching a show in French! I understand more than 90% of what's said, I think. If anyone has suggestions for other easy French content that's on Canadian Netflix (or YouTube) it would be appreciated!

Thus ends the first month of my 365 Days of French! And not a day missed! :D
2 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 am

Lianne wrote:But I really wanted to try out Au service de la France. I knew that a show made for honest-to-goodness French adults would be too hard, but then I remembered that since it's originally in French, the French subs would actually match the audio! So I decided to give it a whirl with the closed captioning on, and I can actually follow it well enough to find it entertaining. There are times when it gets complicated and I lose it, but for the most part I get the gist. I definitely need those subs though! Wow, do they ever talk fast! I'm not convinced they're actually saying every word out loud. :lol:

Are the subtitles actually correct? I'd love to find a French show where the subtitles and audio match, but I have tried many French/Swiss originals (Plan Coeur, Dix Pour Cent, The Break, Les Temoignages...) but none have ever had matching subtitles and audio from what I remember. I always listened to them without subs because the mismatched sentences really bothered me. Let me know how Au Service de la France is! :)
2 x

Lianne
Green Belt

Postby Lianne » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 am

zjones wrote:
Lianne wrote:But I really wanted to try out Au service de la France. I knew that a show made for honest-to-goodness French adults would be too hard, but then I remembered that since it's originally in French, the French subs would actually match the audio! So I decided to give it a whirl with the closed captioning on, and I can actually follow it well enough to find it entertaining. There are times when it gets complicated and I lose it, but for the most part I get the gist. I definitely need those subs though! Wow, do they ever talk fast! I'm not convinced they're actually saying every word out loud. :lol:

Are the subtitles actually correct? I'd love to find a French show where the subtitles and audio match, but I have tried many French/Swiss originals (Plan Coeur, Dix Pour Cent, The Break, Les Temoignages...) but none have ever had matching subtitles and audio from what I remember. I always listened to them without subs because the mismatched sentences really bothered me. Let me know how Au Service de la France is! :)

They're not 100% word for word, but they are very close. Similar to my experiences with English closed-captioning on English programs. They might phrase something a tiny bit differently here and there, but overall it matches up. So it's a huge improvement over anything where the subs and dubs are both translated and are therefore wildly different.

I'm really enjoying Au service de la France, even without having the French skills to understand everything! It's quite funny!
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt

Postby Lianne » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 am

Day 32:
52 minutes Pimsleur French 1 (lessons 23 and 24)
36 minutes Learning with Texts
18 minutes watching Peppa Pig
45 minutes watching Angel

The 6 Week Challenge started today! I've done it a few times before, but never did well because I struggled to be consistent even for 6 weeks. But, since I'm studying every day for 365 days already, this time it should be easy! :) So far I'm in a very respectable 3rd place. We'll see what happens.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”