Lianne's 365 Days of French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Lianne's 365 Days of French

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:40 am

Lianne wrote:Day 87:
1 hour, 17 minutes listening to audiobook, Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
I'm not sure if the audiobook is helping. I feel like I'm understanding very little.

When I listen to an audiobook and can not understand much of it, I read along with the book. But I have to like the book a lot for this to work. If I don't like reading the book, I give up on the audiobook.

Maybe you have already seen this list of books in French from Librivox Librivox Books in French. The good news is as you probably already know that there are dozens of choices and the texts are included with the audio. The bad news is what you also probably know that they are all 100 years old or older, so many of them are not of much interest.
Currently I am dabbling with one of the plays of Georges Feydeau found at Librivox.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

EndGame
Languages: Studying Mandarin-Chinese

Postby EndGame » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 am

Great log, keep it up!
0 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Lianne wrote:Day 87:
1 hour, 17 minutes listening to audiobook, Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
I'm not sure if the audiobook is helping. I feel like I'm understanding very little.

When I listen to an audiobook and can not understand much of it, I read along with the book. But I have to like the book a lot for this to work. If I don't like reading the book, I give up on the audiobook.

Maybe you have already seen this list of books in French from Librivox Librivox Books in French. The good news is as you probably already know that there are dozens of choices and the texts are included with the audio. The bad news is what you also probably know that they are all 100 years old or older, so many of them are not of much interest.
Currently I am dabbling with one of the plays of Georges Feydeau found at Librivox.

I do some L-R as well, and also watch French TV with closed captioning on. My reading is lightyears ahead of my listening, so that's definitely a lot easier. But I'm also trying to train myself to be able to understand audio without falling back on the written form. It's tough, for sure!

EndGame wrote:Great log, keep it up!

Thank you! :)

Day 94:
30 minutes watching Au service de la France

Day 95:
45 minutes listening to French music

Day 96:
30 minutes reading La vie compliquée de Léa Olivier: Rumeurs

Day 97:

Day 98:

Day 99:
20 minutes watching Au service de la France
15 minutes Duolingo

Normally I don't even bother counting my French music time, but on day 95 I forgot to do anything else! Good thing I've been listening to so much French music and had that to fall back on to avoid losing my streak! And I do listen fairly intently. I keep forgetting to load more of my French audiobook on my phone, so on some of my work commutes I've been listening to Émile Bilodeau, whom I have grown to adore. I've gotten fairly used to his wacky accent and can actually sing along to some parts of some songs!

Gosh I just love him.

2 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

Lianne
Green Belt
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby Lianne » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Day 100:
about 45 minutes listening to French music

Day 101:
about 45 minutes listening to French music

Day 102:
30 minutes Duolingo

So I got the new Duolingo tree for French, which apparently has been gradually rolled out to people for quite some time. I'm not sure how I feel about it. A cursory glance suggests that more of the skills are based around vocabulary topics rather than grammatical concepts, which I'm not sure I like at all. The worst result seems to be that the discussions are all new? Every time I clicked on the discussion link for a sentence before, there were intelligent discussions, with very helpful mods clarifying grammar points, and you could really learn a lot from reading them. Now, every time I go to the discussion I find dozens of comments like "why are the words switched around????" and "what's the difference between le and la??". So, less helpful.

On the upside, Duolingo-wise, the Klingon course now has some audio!! Duolingo finally made it possible for the small courses to add their own audio, so slowly but surely they're adding it to sentences. This, combined with the fact that I'm currently watching Star Trek: Discovery (which has WAY more Klingon language in it than any previous Star Trek!) (and which I'm in love with), has renewed my interest in studying Klingon again.

During the next 6 Week Challenge, I might have either Klingon or ASL as my target language and see how far I can get. Speaking of which, why is the 6 Week Challenge website currently redirecting to a site for an Esperanto gathering? Does it normally do that between challenges? The next one's in less than 3 weeks. :?
2 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 pm

I know what you mean about the new EN->FR tree - I got put on it right from when I started DL in Nov/Dec last year. from what I can make out, only the middle third or so is new, the start and end are existing content, but since it's new, the middle section hasn't had time to have common alternative answers added & hence it's incredibly pedantic. I got so fed up with it that I went off & did the FR->EN "reverse" tree instead, which I liked a lot better & I've only occasionally dipped in & out of EN->FR since then.
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt

Postby Lianne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:12 pm

badger wrote:I know what you mean about the new EN->FR tree - I got put on it right from when I started DL in Nov/Dec last year. from what I can make out, only the middle third or so is new, the start and end are existing content, but since it's new, the middle section hasn't had time to have common alternative answers added & hence it's incredibly pedantic. I got so fed up with it that I went off & did the FR->EN "reverse" tree instead, which I liked a lot better & I've only occasionally dipped in & out of EN->FR since then.

I've never tried doing a reverse tree on Duolingo. That might be an interesting experience! Am I correct in understanding that one can now do trees in multiple base languages without a lot of awkward switching back and forth?

Day 103:
1 hour, 35 minutes watching Je ne suis pas un homme facile, French with French subtitles

Day 104:
10 minutes Duolingo

Well, that movie was a whole new level of casual French that was ridiculously hard to follow. :o Even with the subs on (which were decent) a lot of parts weren't clear. But, the movie was still hilarious! If you haven't heard of it, it's a Netflix France original about a sexist man who gets knocked out and wakes up in a world where all gender roles are reversed and women are dominant. Hilarity ensues!

In other news, on the weekend I started ASL 101 on ASLU (Lifeprint.com). I know my wanderlust has burned me in the past and it's risky business taking on another language, but it feels different this time, I swear! I've gotten very comfortable in my French studies. I don't feel at all like ASL will replace it. So I figure there's no harm in dipping my toe in. :) I'm just gonna start slowly going through the lessons, only after I've done my French for the day.

So far I've only reviewed fingerspelling. That was quite a rabbit hole! Fingerspelling your name is just one of the objectives in lesson 1, but clicking that link led to a whole fingerspelling course! Anyway, I already knew the alphabet, so it was just a matter of reading about some things like hand position and double letters, and then doing some practice quizzes. I can definitely benefit from a lot of fingerspelling practice, both productive and receptive. I'm pretty slow at signing and recognising letters.
1 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Lianne wrote:
badger wrote:I know what you mean about the new EN->FR tree - I got put on it right from when I started DL in Nov/Dec last year. from what I can make out, only the middle third or so is new, the start and end are existing content, but since it's new, the middle section hasn't had time to have common alternative answers added & hence it's incredibly pedantic. I got so fed up with it that I went off & did the FR->EN "reverse" tree instead, which I liked a lot better & I've only occasionally dipped in & out of EN->FR since then.

I've never tried doing a reverse tree on Duolingo. That might be an interesting experience! Am I correct in understanding that one can now do trees in multiple base languages without a lot of awkward switching back and forth?

I mostly use DL from a laptop, in a browser, where it's very easy to change, but I just tried in the App on my Android phone & it's only about four button presses (which is easier than I remember - I think it must have changed). just don't accidentally change it to a language you don't speak or you might never get it back. ;)
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:47 am

Lianne wrote:So I got the new Duolingo tree for French, which apparently has been gradually rolled out to people for quite some time. I'm not sure how I feel about it. A cursory glance suggests that more of the skills are based around vocabulary topics rather than grammatical concepts, which I'm not sure I like at all. The worst result seems to be that the discussions are all new? Every time I clicked on the discussion link for a sentence before, there were intelligent discussions, with very helpful mods clarifying grammar points, and you could really learn a lot from reading them. Now, every time I go to the discussion I find dozens of comments like "why are the words switched around????" and "what's the difference between le and la??". So, less helpful.

On the upside, Duolingo-wise, the Klingon course now has some audio!! Duolingo finally made it possible for the small courses to add their own audio, so slowly but surely they're adding it to sentences. This, combined with the fact that I'm currently watching Star Trek: Discovery (which has WAY more Klingon language in it than any previous Star Trek!) (and which I'm in love with), has renewed my interest in studying Klingon again.

As I mentioned in my last post in my own log, I deleted my Duolingo account and the new French tree--and the several months of drama leading up to its site-wide release--was a big part of why. The new course is only aimed at A1-A2 vocabulary, and teaches much less grammar than the previous volunteer-made trees, which had been aimed to get learners close to B2 by foucsing on grammar and less of vocabulary. While I personally prefer the latter design and the previous trees, my real beefs with the new tree is 1) it doesn't teach a long-time Duolingo French learner like myself anything new and 2) Duolingo has treated the volunteer French team, whom many of us long-time users have grown to really respect and appreciate, like garbage during this whole deal.

The first point is pretty cut and dry--I don't see any point in investing time in the new tree so bye bye. If the new tree helps other learners here, great, but yeah, not for me. The second point is more touchy, as a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff isn't known publicly, but it's clear that when Duolingo first rolled out the new staff-made tree last year, the volunteer French mods disappeared from the forum. A couple showed up to inform people that they couldn't help with the new tree (the impression they left on many of us was they were told it was hands-off for them, although that was never explicitly said). Later, Sitesurf mentioned they would begin locking and removing old, outdated threads (this is why the discussions have changed dramatically--my guess is ALL discussions for the older versions of the tree, along with the old mods' very helpful input, has since been purged). Then Sitesurf and another mod put together the Notes and Tips list (which I suspect they were asked to do by Duolingo). But beyond that, our beloved, highly knowledgeable and helpful volunteer French team--some of whom, like Sitesurf, has been there since the beginning, providing much needed continuity--ceased to be a presence on Duolingo and I cannot tell you how disappointing that is for me. Some of those people were beyond qualified for the ever lowering level Duolingo has been aspiring to in recent years, and I learned a lot from comments they made in the discussions that went well beyond the usual textbook explanations. Without those individuals around, Duolingo has ceased being an unique French resource and quite frankly, I saw no reason to continue including Duolingo as part of my French studies.

So yeah, there is a reason you're seeing a distinct drop in quality in the discussions. And really, this is what Duolingo wants--they want to attract beginners rather than progressing learners, because they're the largest portion of the language learner population. Sadly, Duolingo doesn't seem to have much planned to support these beginners in their progress, like getting new, qualified French mods to answer their newbies questions about word order, grammatical gender and the like. I suspect they expect other users to fill that void. :roll:

As far as I know the English for French speakers tree has not been touched and it should still have content that mirrors the older French trees, if that interests you. Much of these new "CEFR conforming" changes are for courses aimed at English-medium schools, like French, German and Spanish for English speakers. Given how much work it has taken Duolingo just to get things sorted with the mess they made with the French course, I doubt they will be touching the older English for X speaker courses any time soon.

By the way, I'm watching ST: Discovery too, and the abundant use of Klingon in the series is interesting. I can't say it's inspired me to pick up Klingon (I'd much rather learn Vulcan, if I had the time, although Vulcan has a much smaller lexicon to date), but it's been interesting to see how the show creators try to work it into the show. I admittedly hate the subtitling format--the font and color is sometimes hard to read against the scene background and they sometimes don't leave longer phrases up long enough for me to read them with my ever-failing eyesight. And having to stop and read subtitles--and sometimes rewind to read what i missed--it really messing with my practice of doing extra Memrise or Clozemaster while watching TV! :lol: Anyhow, if you do decide to delve into Klingon, best of luck!
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Lianne wrote:I've never tried doing a reverse tree on Duolingo. That might be an interesting experience!

I have not done a reverse tree yet, but am looking forward to trying reverse trees for Italian and French at some point - there are a lot of comments from users who have gone on to do a reverse tree speaking of the benefit of doing so.
0 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0, , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARPYVYE6Vc

Lianne
Green Belt

Postby Lianne » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:51 pm

Day 105:

Day 106:
35 minutes watching Notre planète

Day 107:
30 minutes watching Notre planète

I am loving watching Notre planète on Netflix!! It's the French version of the new Netflix original series Our Planet. The original is narrated by David Attenborough, and the French version has a very similar feel. The narration is slow, very clear, and very standard. There's a lot of vocabulary I don't know, particularly words for non-obvious animals, but overall I'd say one step up in difficulty from Peppa Pig. I hope there are more French-dubbed nature documentaries on Netflix!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”