During June, I spent 31 hours and 15 minutes on Swedish. 19 hours and 58 minutes of that were listening (mostly television), the rest was reading.
I have read 70% of Cirkeln, or 354 pages (of 505). I've listened to 46 chapters in total of the audiobook for Röta. I still have 24 chapters left and it will probably take me at least another couple months to get through those
As for tv, I am trying out a trial subscription to MHZ Choice. It is likely to be my primary means of consuming Swedish series. I am currently halfway through season six of Morden i Sandhamn.
By the way here's a list of all the series I've watched during the last 6-7 months:
- Det som göms i snö - This was great. Easily top five Swedish series I've seen.
- Springfloden - First season felt like a CBC drama, second season was better. (It’s on MHZ Choice.)
- Äkta människor - This show was also great but it feels like they had no idea what to do with the second season.
- Bron - The best Swedish show of all-time (though technically it was half in Danish).
- Kungamordet - It was kind of like a miniseries. I couldn't be bothered finishing it.
- Bonusfamiljen - This one’s on Netflix, which is why I've watched it 2-3 times depending on the season. It is not at all my favourite show but it has grown on me.
- Eagles -
- Gentleman & Gangsters - It's on Netflix. I've watched four or five episodes. It is dreadfully boring.
- Helt Perfekt - Awful awful awful I am not into this kind of stupid, raunchy, gross-out humour.
- Störst av allt - Another one on Netflix and it was good but only six episodes!
- Solsidan - A comedy, it was alright. At 5 seasons though, it’s one of the longest-running Swedish series that I know about.
- Jägarna - Loved it, but only 6 episodes.
- Midnattssol - This was hardly in Swedish It was a joint series between Sweden and France so it was about 1/4 Swedish, 1/5 French and the rest was English with a bit of Sami I think? It was mostly good.
- Vem bor här? - This has been a staple in my tv-watching every spring but this year since I had better options I only made it through two or three episodes... sorry Malin
- Tror du jag ljuger? - I watched the entire 2019 season despite not really being into reality shows/game shows/celebrity game shows. It was pretty funny at times.
- Maria Wern - Bleh This one also reminded me of watching a CBC show. (I don't like CBC shows, can you tell??)
- Morden i Sandhamn - Not amazing but still quite good and with six seasons?!?! Sure the seasons are only 2 hours long (until season 6 = 6 hours long) but still, the whole thing is 16 hours which is not bad for a Swedish series.
Random thought: if the most useful part of Listening-Reading is the L2R1 phase, then shouldn't the equivalent "most useful" version of tv watching be using NL subs while listening to the TL? And yet, isn't there information suggesting the best way to learn while watching foreign language tv is L2R2?? Anyway. Food for thought there.
I spent 13 hours and 37 minutes with Russian this month, tv watching excluded. I only watched the one season of Sparta/Sпарта anyway. I won't count any listening time until I'm done at least one course.
I am done 23 lessons of Assimil Russian. Lesson 22 did the super cool thing of springing all the days of the week on me.
I had extra time today so I got a start on the RT course. Miracle of miracles the registration actually worked, so I can actually login and save my progress on there! How useful. I did lesson 1 and most of lesson 2 since they were easy-peasy after the 23 Assimil lessons. It's kinda nice to do something easy-peasy now and then so that you realize you have indeed made progress.
You knew this was coming didn't you?? I am barely still at German. I found myself looking at its phonology page on Wikipedia and admiring how they share almost all their vowels with Swedish (save a couple, including /ʉː/ which is one of my faves tbh), and the consonants are also surprisingly straightforward for an English speaker. Well, mostly. I might even go so far as to say German consonants are easier than Swedish consonants. But anyway that's subjective. 24 Assimil lessons done with German, in any case. I won't quote time spent since I am not sure how long German will stick around.
I hope I can be this determined during July...