Morgana's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Insert Log Title Here (Swedish)

Postby StringerBell » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 am

Morgana wrote:StringerBell this is amazing. You should charge a fee for some of your posts, they are very helpful/informative/encouraging.

ha ha! glad you find them useful

Morgana wrote: Which textbook did you mean here?

Speak Polish 1 (ebook)

Do you want to learn Polish the easiest way possible? Speak Polish. A Practical Self-study Guide is a new manual for students of Polish as a foreign language. Now as an e-book (PDF+MP3).
44,90 zł

https://prestonpublishing.pl/86-polski-e-book
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm

I find it funny how we have people on this forum that our champions and cheerleaders for certain languages. I am definitely one for Russian. I can say with confidence that you are making a mountain out of a molehill with Russian stress (ударение- so now you can say it in Russian, or ask: где ударение? The root удар means to hit or to strike). I never really focused on stress placement, I just did a lot of listening and things fell into place with time, it’s similar to improving your accent and pronunciation in any other language, it just takes massive exposure ,hyper focusing on it will likely just hinder your learning and be unneeded cause of knashing of teeth.

If you love Russian, you want to watch soviet movies (which are fantastic), read some of the most world reknowned authors like Chekhov, Bulgakov, etc etc, communicate with the large Russian diaspora, then the obstacles that you will come across will all be easily surmountable. However the fact that you’re questioning whether you want to continue, I think dabbling in other languages and seeing if one catches your fancy is smart (and sounds fun to me!). In the end Russian will be there waiting to take you back once you shop around and find there’s really nothing better out there ;)
6 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:04 pm

I've enjoyed reading the pros and cons about Polish vs. Russian. I've done a test-drive of Russian, but I have switched to Polish for now. To an extent, I am just trying to see which one I want to stick with for the long haul.

ETA: I'll be following your log and your learning journey :)
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 pm

Morgana wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Well, obviously I'm going to put in a plug for Polish...

I really love this forum.

StringerBell this is amazing. You should charge a fee for some of your posts, they are very helpful/informative/encouraging.

Seriously. Great post. I don't have any room for new languages at the moment, but I started considering Polish nevertheless, and it's definitely going on my "would be fun to study someday" list.

Morgana wrote:Alright I just need to get myself together a bit and start exploring.
David27 wrote:I think dabbling in other languages and seeing if one catches your fancy is smart (and sounds fun to me!).

I really enjoy this kind of "window shopping" for new languages, sometimes even more than actually learning them. One thing I like to do is watch Easy Languages videos (here or here) where they ask people on the street to comment on a particular topic. They've got videos like this in Polish, Russian, and many other languages, with subtitles in English and the target language. It can be a nice way to see how a prospective language hits your ear and to get some sense of what life and culture are like where the language is spoken.
1 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:00 am

Morgana wrote: .... Spanish will either be a good time and my faith in language learning will be restored, or if it turns out that it doesn't grab me then I have one more trick up my sleeve to try before setting aside language learning altogether....

If Spanish does not grab you, may I be so bold as to suggest taking Italian for a quick test drive. Studying Italian has been the most fun I have had over years of dabbling briefly in a bunch of different languages, despite Italian's maddening prepositions. Beautiful sounding language and phonetic, plus there is gelato and lots of animated hand waving.

I am making it my life mission to figure out what the hand/body language at 1:42 signifies in the linked video. Leading candidate for the moment is "man launching himself like a rocket". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW91Ec4DYkU
4 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:18 am

I think Spanish is a good choice. It’s one of the languages I find most rewarding because of the vast amount of literature and TV you get to enjoy once you reach intermediate or so. I actually enjoy the process of learning languages, especially at the lower levels, but the intermediate and advanced levels can be very frustrating if you can’t find a lot of native materials you enjoy. Fortunately, for Spanish, these are both numerous and often fairly easy to access. I doubt I would have reached such an advanced level in Norwegian had I not lived in the country. There simply isn’t much TV that grabs me and books are pretty expensive, so I don’t know that I would’ve wanted to buy a lot of them if I’d lived elsewhere.
1 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:06 am

Morgana wrote:One really has to “want it” in order to stick to “smaller” languages as you get to intermediate. I like Swedish but I just don’t know if I like it enough to continue to read and watch things I would have zero interest in if they were in English.
Looking around for out of copyright options in more popular languages, I've started to look at the various 'great books' anthologies for inspiration.
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Morgana wrote:Learning Swedish for me is a choice and I know I have the choice to stop, too.

Finally acknowledging that I could make the choice to stop Italian if I wanted was what made me realize that I actually didn't want to stop at all. Before that, I was feeling like I had to keep going with it, because of pressure (self-created) to communicate with in-laws, or because I'd invested so much time in it, or because of x,y,z reasons. Once I allowed myself the option of giving it up, I no longer felt pressure to keep doing it. So, I think that seriously considering this option with Swedish, or even taking a break from it, is a good thing.
4 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri May 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Morgana wrote:The other Swedish series has a couple of Finns for main characters, and as much as I love that particular accent in Swedish, it does make following the dialogue a tad more challenging. Somehow it is both clearer and less clear than standard Swedish.

Which one is that? What channel?
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Still can't think of a title (Swedish + French)

Postby DaveAgain » Wed May 08, 2019 7:07 am

Morgana wrote:French:
I haven't had a lot of energy or time to do anything non-Assimil, except for watch one episode of Friends, dubbed of course. I won't repeat that. Turns out I don't like the show nearly as much as I did when I was 20!
I had a similar experience with Buffy. I liked once, alas no more :-(
3 x

Return to “Language logs”