The Year of Changes

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: The Year of Changes

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Also, here is my post from the resolutions thread:

I failed all my resolutions in 2018. So, is it worth taking new ones?

If I look at some I can really stick to:
-take one language exam. To prove myself I am still not that stupid and can do it. The options: Siele, Dele B2 or C1, Cils B1 or B2, Goethe B1. One of them.
-get a job abroad. leave this country I despise with a degree and start a life elsewhere. in a country deserving my sacrifices.
-convince my boyfriend to really start working on the language of the country we are moving to.

It looks like language exams might be one of the few ways to get some life out of this half dead brain. Therefore, it is a good idea. And I could do with some new bragging rights :-D

And here is one of the replies:

Skynet wrote:Sending not-so-subliminal messages to you:

Cavesa wrote:-take one language exam. ... I ... can do it. ... Goethe B1.

German...take the Goethe B1.

Cavesa wrote:-get a job abroad... start a life elsewhere. in a country deserving my sacrifices.

Germany...go to Germany!

Not so subliminal :-D

The only problem: I'd need a really warm piece of Germany, to have the same health benefits of moving abroad.

And I should rename the log, it is unfindable!!!!
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:37 pm

Also, I have looked into some anki advice. Got new packs for my medical exam (I have to use premade ones, I am so slow creating them).
Basically, I found two important bits of advice on the anki and medical anki subreddits.
1.Learn at most 100 new cards a day, 6 days a week. That is the against too unmanageable reviews.
2.If you want to break the rule number 1, do new cards 7 days a week, don't go above 100.

So, let's see. I have like 10000 cards, which should partially overlap. I don't like the maths.

Hmm, I have gotten a few answers from medicine students. Let's sum it up and compare with the answer from normal people:
answer one: doing 100+ new cards a day is painful but what you need is more important than what is pleasant
answer two: when I was doing 250-300 a day, it was not good, but now with the 150-200, I am ok.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:09 pm

New Year!

I wish everyone the best in it!!!

And I missed a day in the 365 day challenge already: I was hang over. This doesn't happen often to me. But this night was worth it. And my liver probably used that as a way to tell me "you are not getting any younger".

So, I am starting the year now.

The beginning of the year is not that happy, as all the challenges before me are scary as hell, truth be told. But it is not 2018 anymore, YAY!!! This one will be better!!!
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 am

The first two days of the 365 challenge done.

I have restarted Němčina nejen pro samouky, a high quality coursebook for self-teaching learners. It is full of optimism (unlike its French counterpart btw). The authors wish people lots of nice moments spent with the book. And they tell people German has only four cases.

I have restarted the book several times already. It looks like my record has been finishing unit 6 so far. There are 25 units, plus five review units. So, the next challenge is getting past that cursed point!

In the two half hours, I reviewed unit 1 and majority of unit 2. There are lots of exercises and no rush.

Looking at the following lessons and not being allowed by my other studies to put more than that half an hour in, I expect to get past unit 6 sometime by the end of January, beginning of February.

I am not making any big plans after that. I expect to slow down a lot sometime around the cursed point.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:26 pm

updated the post on page 1, which is hopefully gonna be the most interesting part of the log. I am adding short reviews of tv series, courses, books and so on this year there.

and I need some ideas, if anyone got some. for renaming the log. searching for it is annoying and I have no imagination left. so, if anyone is inspired and would care to share the idea, I'd love it! just nothing medicine related please, my burn out wouldn't like it.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 am

Cavesa wrote:
and I need some ideas, if anyone got some. for renaming the log. searching for it is annoying and I have no imagination left. so, if anyone is inspired and would care to share the idea, I'd love it! just nothing medicine related please, my burn out wouldn't like it.
1. "From Bohemia with Love"
2. "Je me bats ! Je me bats ! Je me bats !" (quote from the final scene of Cyrano de Bergerac)
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 am

Thanks!!! The first ideas look promising.... anyone else? :-)

other than that: 4.1. no German, 5.1. 30 min. finished review of unit 2, started review of unit 3.

my feeling about the growing difficulty and therefore slowing down was right. unit 2 was still absolutely ok, unit 3 brings review of more vocab and above all the prepositions with the 3rd case and a few more grammar features, and more vocab (the direction giving and town content stuff). still not a major problem but already well worth reviewing.

also, it will be a challenge to not end up with negative 365 score. it's not just about other problems. but it is hard to fit into the days (as suggested by the clock and calendar), when your days naturally last from 12pm to 5am during the pre-exam times and sometimes you skip the sleep phase. You know how hard it can be to figure out the right names of the meals I am having at the wrong times? :-D Not easy to keep track of time. But the only alternative is giving up on the last exams and turning the tragicomedy called My Life into entirely pointless trash. Living like a bat is the better option.

+another bit of procrastination. it hits me a few times a year. usually, I start learnin Japanese or Mandarin or a semitic language. but other than that, I tend to return to the simplicity and instant gratification of Duolingo.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:28 am

6.1. failed.

Not a good idea this challenge or anything. I should be studying this trash I signed up for ages ago stupidly. No idea. I hate medicine ruining my life. I am about to give up on any ambitions and dreams because I am a failure who cannot achieve them anyways. I will do anything but medicine. Nobody will parasite on my suffering. Even if it means I will have to work in a mcdonalds abroad because I don't pass their exam. That could actually be the best. But I need to get out of here. Btw, we are again among the emerging markets. This sinking ship is a tragedy.

I am lowering my expectations. Surviving will suffice. And then never meeting anyone I have ever known, because I am ashamed of my life.

Perhaps I could teach langauges. I've seen so many failures (they even admited this reason), who just took a CELTA and changed their life. I wouldn't be worse than the average.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 am

The silver lining: I really enjoy German now. So, I could settle for the german healthcare, if the salary and work conditions are really good and will outweigh the cold climate and overall disappointment from my life. There are even one or two centers doing the part of medicine I am interested in. But I wouldn't get to those. But still better than the Dumb Republic, where nobody does what I am interested in. Or they do it, but only as if we were still in the 90's.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:10 am

2 x

Return to “Language logs”