My Korean log/My studying methods

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: My Korean log/My studying methods

Postby Christi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:19 am

WOW! We need to have a Korean native take a look at this and recommend us some level-appropriate books! This is such a gem but all those titles mean nothing to me. I used the search function to see if it had 82년생 김지영, but sadly it's not on there :(
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

fjib
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N) - English - Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 47#p124747

Postby fjib » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:08 am

studied for 2 hours and 40 minutes

-listened to a vlive (i have 2 different ones that i listen to repeatedly)
-did anki
-read 아몬드 for 45 minutes
-watched a little bit of yg treasure box

i've decided to start reading more books, and i saw that someone recommended 아몬드 so i bought it on google books, you can get most korean books on there for like $6

these are all of the books that i'm interested in reading, not only for learning but i just thought they seemed interesting.
If you've read any of these and you think one of them in particular is worth reading, please tell me which one because i can't buy all of them.

- please look after mom (have the english pdf)
- the vegetarian (have the eng epub)
- 아몬드 (have the kor epub, reading right now)
- Human Acts (have the eng epub)
- Black Flower
- I have the right to destroy myself
- Kim Ji-young, Born 1982
- 한국이 싫어서

I think the best thing to do would be to read one of the books that i have the english version of in english first, and then read the korean version, and if i get stuck on a page and looking up words doesn't help, i can check the english book. The last time i read a book in english was 6 years ago because i have adhd and i can't read more than 3 pages unless it really interests me lol, so the benefits of reading the book in english first wouldn't just be understanding the book better in korean, it would also help my english as a bonus.
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 am

I like kim young ha a lot so I've read I have the right to destroy myself and the novel about the north korean spy in English and loved them (I didn't know it was a korean author at the time. I thought it was a korean-american person since I didn't look into it). I intended to read it in korean one of these days I remember certain parts of the book being vague and hard to understand and I'm guessing that's because that's how it was written in Korean. I have read his other works in Korean like short stories 사진관 살인사건, 흡혈귀, 엘리베이터에 낀 그 남자는 어떻게 되었나. I liked all 3 short stories and I would say I liked the vampire and elevator story the most. I have the book that contain the short stories (I underlined words in red ink) and I also have the fan-typed .txt version that I found via google so I only made anki cards from the stories that I had an e-version of for convenience's sake. I don't think his stories are easy to read compared to translations like stuff translated from English to Korean etc. I just recall that there was a lot of words I didn't know even though the story is short and technically you don't have to understand every word to understand and follow the story. I found reading novels helpful for learning Japanese when I felt like watching Japanese Tv was easy and I couldn't mine as many words as I used to.

I actually own the book 한국이 싫어서 but I haven't read it yet. the title reminds me of 일본은 없다 which is a book where korean people talk shit about japan lol. that one was interesting to read because I know so much about Japanese culture and Japanese but when I read/skimmed it my korean wasn't very good so I didn't really get the details (it was just too many unknown words per page to mine from it for anki. ). i bought a bunch of physical books from aladin a year ago. Of course shortly after I realized there are thousands of book that are available to download for free illegally.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comment ... i_book_us/

Just read whatever interests you and sometimes you can get a preview from google books or even 난동 on youtube (people reading it outloud). Ideally you want something at your level; I've heard people say there should be an average of x number of unknown words a page or only look up 1 word per page (usually stuff that repeats). The most recent book in korean I read was 아직 도 한글 전용 을 고집 해야 하는가? by 김병기 because this topic is really fascinating to me and I plan to read other stuff online that debates on this topic. I read this book over at least several months so I noticed a clear improvement in my ability to read when I finished it (I read the part of the book I was most interested in then I took a long break then I came back to it and read it little by little since I had other stuff to read in Japanese and English.). I looked up 0 words while reading (half the words I didn't know are hanja-based and since I know Japanese I sometimes figure it out. I've read over 160 books in Japanese. ) and just underlined unknown words in red in case I want to look it up (not sure yet) and even then I noticed an improvement since eventually I figured out some of the stuff and wasn't underlining as much. Number of unknown words range from 0 to 12 on a page and I say most of pages have about 3-5 unknown words per page. Of course there were a handful sentences I didn't understand despite re-reading. So, overall I think it was at my level.

I was interested in the vegeterian and I watched this korean show about books (this is a clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5HY9wvbXO0) when they featured it. I didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive and author's writing style is not compatible with me. I read this short story she wrote (I just found it googling) and the writing just wasn't enjoyable as kim young ha's writing in his short stories.

I remember someone on twitter recommended 공지영 but I haven't read anything by her yet so I can't recommend her personally.

by the way one of the books I ordered off aladin was k-fiction
https://www.aladin.co.kr/search/wsearch ... on&x=0&y=0
and it's a tiny book that has a short story in korean on the left page and the translation on the right page in english. I thought it was overpriced and thought I'd get more for what I paid (like a longer story or multiple stories) but it's convenient to have an english translation to refer to. sometimes it's cumbersome to refer to the english since obviously the translator isn't doing direct translation since they're genuinely trying to write a translation that's readable in english.
3 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:29 pm

I didn’t write what i did yesterday because i was really busy, I studied for 1 hour and 40 minutes but i can’t remember exactly what i did
Today i barely studied at all, i only did anki so i wouldn’t lose my streak, it’s christmas here in sweden today so i didn’t have time to do anything, but i’ll try to study more tomorrow
1 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:39 pm

studied for 5 hours
-read 아몬드
-watched my love from the star
-watched yg treasure box
-listened to a few vlives
-did anki
-reviewed some grammar

i found a way to put the hanja dictionary inside of the card, it looks like this but it only seems to work on desktop and ankiweb, it’s clickable so i can for example remove the second character and it will show all of the hanja words related to the first character, i just wish i could make it work on ankimobile, it shows up but it crashes, so i think i’m just gonna start doing my hanja reviews on my computer
5C5F9E12-3B9B-4C34-9E2A-1C4E13EE3371.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 am

studied for 2 hours and 30 minutes
-did anki
-watched a few vlives
-read

I downloaded a bunch of subtitle files so that i could search for words/grammar in Astrogrep to see a bunch of example sentences, i don’t know exactly what i’m gonna do with these sentences, since i prefer having audio and images too but i’m sure i’ll be able to find a use for it, and if you like having just a plain sentence in your anki cards this works well for that!
here’s an example of what it looks like, i just searched for the first grammar point i could think of
C888C234-F773-4E3C-8191-A4762AD81754.jpeg

i also tried searching for a word that i didn’t really know that well, and after it showed me the sentences using it i understood exactly what it meant even though i hadn’t seen the translation, so i think this could be good for learning words in context

And then i also found this addon, which sounds very similar to what i do, i’m gonna try this out instead of having the sentence database deck in my normal anki profile, i’ve been hesitant to make my database deck any bigger since i don’t want to run into any errors while syncing, but if i use this that won’t be a problem
74C64015-0882-4B7D-9502-902CDD8E434E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:25 pm

studied for 3 hours and 15 minutes
-listened to a few vlives
-did anki
-read “handbook of korean vocabulary”

my hanja root dictionary finally arrived, so i’m gonna start adding words to my hanja deck soon.

i haven’t been doing much actual studying lately, i’ve mostly just been watching and listening, but i’m gonna start studying grammar again next month, i also need to study a lot more next month if i want to reach 150 hours, so i’m gonna do more repetitive listening while i’m doing other things and i’m gonna try to make it a habit because i always forget to do it
0 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:52 pm

fjib wrote:- please look after mom (have the english pdf)
- the vegetarian (have the eng epub)
- I have the right to destroy myself

I've read the above three. 엄마를 부탁해 is a well done tear-jerker. I'm not usually into that sort of book, but I enjoyed it. 채식주의자 is my favorite of the three. It's got an unusual plot that kept me hooked from beginning to end. I found 나는 나를 파괴할 권리가 있다 pretty hard to follow, but that was probably mostly because it was the first book I ever read in Korean. At only around 100 pages it seems like a good book to start with, but I would recommend saving it for later.
1 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 pm

studied for 4 hours and 20 minutes
-did anki
-started making my hanja deck
-listened to youtube (while making anki cards for the hanja deck)
-watched vlive
-read my hanja book
1 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:08 am

studied for 3 hours and 30 minutes
-did anki
-watched youtube
-studied hanja
-did repetitive listening

i also added 30k new subs2srs cards to my sentence deck, so now it has around 50k cards, i’m planning to add maybe like another 20k cards since it doesn’t take me that long to make them
they’re a lot more organized now so i can go through each deck and review them and copy the cards i want to keep to another deck, because sometimes when i’m watching stuff with voracious i come across a sentence that i know all of the words in but i want to remember the way that the sentence is structured and i don’t really want to add it to my vocab deck, so i think making those types of cards with subs2srs would be better
I was planning on finishing the evita vocab deck because i’ve already done more than half of it, but i’ve been taking a break and instead of finishing it i think i’m just gonna go through it quickly and save the words that i think are useful/that i recognize and then i’ll search for those words in the subs2srs deck and i’ll just add them to my normal vocab decks

by the way, i’m sorry that my log is always so extremely poorly written and that i never use capital letters, i always write these at like 1-3am right before going to bed so i never have time to proofread lol
2 x

Return to “Language logs”