My Korean log/My studying methods

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
fjib
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N) - English - Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 47#p124747

Re: My Korean log/My studying methods

Postby fjib » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:39 pm

studied for 3 hours
-did anki
-did kgiu
-watched youtube
-read a little
-watched a little bit of do bong soon
-downloaded a vlive and watched it in voracious with listening practice mode on, i understand almost everything when i have korean subtitles on but i need to practice listening and this is great for that, what it does is that it hides the subtitle and pauses the video after each line until you press the down arrow key to reveal the subtitle and then you can press the down arrow key again to keep playing the video, you can also press the up arrow key to replay the sentence, if i can't hear what someone is saying i always replay it a few times and then i reveal the subtitles.
I used to have both korean and english subtitles so i could listen once and then reveal the korean subtitle and then reveal the english subtitle, but i don't do that anymore because i already understand most of the korean subtitles so it isn't necessary anymore unless i'm watching something difficult, also i think i forgot to say this but whenever i write that i've watched youtube or something else it's always with no subs or korean subs
2 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:36 pm

studied for 5 hours and 30 minutes
-did anki
-did kgiu
-screenshotted and added grammar points from kgiu and tagged them
-watched youtube
-watched like 40 minutes of pd48

edit: i accidentally pressed submit instead of preview and i haven't read through this so i don't know how many typos there are lol

My goal this month is 100 hours of studying, i'm currently at around 75 hours and i have 8 days left so i think it's doable

Watching pd48 felt really weird but rewarding, when it started airing i couldn't really watch it without subs and now i understand almost everything and i only have to look up words occasionally, and it was only like 4-5 months ago that i couldn't watch it without subs? i feel like i've made quite a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time

When watching pd48 i used capture2text to copy the words that i didn't know from the korean subtitles (i didn't have a subtitle file, only the raw video with the built in original subs) and then it automatically copied the word and looked it up in the daum dictionary with goldendict, this works well if the subtitles look like this, but it doesn't really work with subtitles that are directly on top of the video without a background, and then i copied the word and the definition from the dictionary and took a screenshot with the snipping tool and put it into my anki deck

Skärmklipp 2018-12-14 00.02.48.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:20 am

for produce48 do you use the same format of word on the front?

I mined from produce48 too(350 cards total but I do multiple clozes so it's probably 140 in actuality. I have no idea how to figure out the exact number of cards) and it's definitely not that bad compared to like show me the money or high school rapper (the rap lyrics always have words i don't know or i just know how to interpret the phrase. I get the english fansubs just to see how the rap lyrics are interpreted by this presumed native speaker). I remember getting like 40 cards from the first 2 episodes ( which is a lot for me) but then after that it was significantly less. I tend to only mine stuff that was actually said by someone on the show and ignore nearly all text on the screen that is describing stuff etc (I sometimes do take stuff from the text on the screen if it seems easy to remember). Did you pick up on nuance of 분하다 in episode 2 ( https://www.instiz.net/name_enter/56861901 )? I didn't even realize that until after I watched the show when I read this article in Japanese that said people hated on her for the mistranslation (http://bunshun.jp/articles/-/9773?page=2 since I understand Japanese. I learned so much about the nuance of that word from the article (apparently the same mistranslation happened with asada mao)

If you do end up watching the show to end, the last episode will be like a test lol. It's a live finale so the live parts are not subbed unless they're translating Japanese. I ended up recording some parts to ask people because I just wanted to know what was said. I used audacity or clyp.it (phone) but it turns out that there's a better way. Just wanted to let you know that MattvsJapan made a video about using sharex for recording audio conveniently if you're interested in watching.

by the way if you haven't seen produce 101 season 2 i have links.

Oh, and have you considered passively re-listening to the audio? I find passive re-listening of familiar content or stuff I learned from to be more effective than passively listening to some arbitrary audio (ie some random news/radio thing I wouldn't even listen to even if I were fluent in the target language) in my target language. I don't do this for Korean but I'm doing it for Spanish (for audio files that I used on workaudiobook to learn words) and I did it for Japanese many years back when I was intermediate.
2 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:24 am

Sayonaroo wrote:for produce48 do you use the same format of word on the front?

I mined from produce48 too(350 cards total but I do multiple clozes so it's probably 140 in actuality. I have no idea how to figure out the exact number of cards) and it's definitely not that bad compared to like show me the money or high school rapper (the rap lyrics always have words i don't know or i just know how to interpret the phrase. I get the english fansubs just to see how the rap lyrics are interpreted by this presumed native speaker). I remember getting like 40 cards from the first 2 episodes ( which is a lot for me) but then after that it was significantly less. I tend to only mine stuff that was actually said by someone on the show and ignore nearly all text on the screen that is describing stuff etc (I sometimes do take stuff from the text on the screen if it seems easy to remember). Did you pick up on nuance of 분하다 in episode 2 ( https://www.instiz.net/name_enter/56861901 )? I didn't even realize that until after I watched the show when I read this article in Japanese that said people hated on her for the mistranslation (http://bunshun.jp/articles/-/9773?page=2 since I understand Japanese. I learned so much about the nuance of that word from the article (apparently the same mistranslation happened with asada mao)

If you do end up watching the show to end, the last episode will be like a test lol. It's a live finale so the live parts are not subbed unless they're translating Japanese. I ended up recording some parts to ask people because I just wanted to know what was said. I used audacity or clyp.it (phone) but it turns out that there's a better way. Just wanted to let you know that MattvsJapan made a video about using sharex for recording audio conveniently if you're interested in watching.

by the way if you haven't seen produce 101 season 2 i have links.

Oh, and have you considered passively re-listening to the audio? I find passive re-listening of familiar content or stuff I learned from to be more effective than passively listening to some arbitrary audio (ie some random news/radio thing I wouldn't even listen to even if I were fluent in the target language) in my target language. I don't do this for Korean but I'm doing it for Spanish (for audio files that I used on workaudiobook to learn words) and I did it for Japanese many years back when I was intermediate.

I keep switching between different formats to see which one i like the best, i'm currently trying this format out, and i just copied the cards that were in my normal vocab deck to a new deck and turned them into cloze cards and then i clozed most of the cards like this {{c1::진}}{{c2::행}} (i already know this word pretty well i'm just trying to familiarize myself with the usage of it)
and then in my regular vocab deck i have the korean word on the front and the definition on the back and i usually have the media on the back, my pd48 cards look a bit different since i didn't have the subs and i couldn't mine with voracious, but i don't have any screenshots of those cards, i think some of them have the screenshots on the front but i usually don't read the subs in the screenshots because i'm too lazy
I really like cloze deletion, especially when you have to type the word, but for some reason i feel like i can't have just a cloze deck, i need to have a normal standard deck too so i think i'm gonna keep mining and collecting words in my normal deck and then copying them to the cloze deck so i can have both

here's what my current cloze cards look like
IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

And this is the same card but in my regular vocab deck (i'm gonna edit the colors of this deck soon too because looking at the white background hurts my eyes lol)
Skärmklipp 2018-12-15 01.38.59.png

Skärmklipp 2018-12-15 01.38.47.png

I didn't notice that either! i just googled it and there seems to be a lot of discussion going on about it
I saw s2 when it first came out with english subs (sometimes i was impatient and i would just watch it without subs but i didn't understand anything lol), but i really want to watch it again! please pm me the links :)
Also did you see that they announced the new season today? It's so weird that people born in 2005 are allowed to apply now, when i watched s1 almost all of the trainees were older than me, and now it feels like 90% of them are younger than me lol

I do listen to things passively sometimes, but i usually listen to youtube videos of just one person talking since the audio tends to be clearer and easier to follow, like a year ago i used to listen to the same vlive every single day over and over again because i had just found out about repetitive listening through Motivatekorean, and i still remember specific words and sentences from it even though i haven't listened to it in a really long time, i should start doing it more often again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fjib on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 am

studied for 5 hours and 30 minutes
-did anki
-did kgiu
-watched youtube
-watched some other things
-organized anki and made cloze cards out of my vocab deck
0 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:19 pm

studied for 4 hours and 40 minutes
-did anki
-did kgiu, almost finished with the entire book and i'm gonna start the advanced one soon
-watched ep 5 of yg treasure box
-watched episode 4 of my love from the star
-watched youtube

I'm also thinking about starting german, but only for like 30 minutes per day since korean is my main focus and i don't want to decrease the amount of time i spend on it, i read a manga translated into german earlier today and i understood a lot of the words since i already know swedish and english, i'm probably just gonna start with anki or memrise, but since this is my korean log i guess i shouldn't really log it here, if you know any good german anki decks please let me know!
0 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:38 pm

studied for 3 hours
i didn't do that much today because i woke up really late
-did anki
-watched 1 hour and 10 minutes of pd101 s2
-watched a vlive
-made new anki cards
i did a few other things like reading through korean twitter accounts, i do this everday but i never log it

counting from the 22nd last month (when i started tracking the amount of time i spend studying) i've spent 88 hours on korean, and i have until the 22nd this month to reach 100 hours, i think i'm gonna change my goal for next month to 150 hours, and if i can do it i'll keep that as my goal or i'll increase it to 166 hours, and if it's too difficult i'll decrease it, if i can stick with 150 hours that's 1800 hours in 1 year, but i want to reach 2000 hours so i really want to do 166 hours, but since i don't watch that many dramas i'm probably gonna run out of material lol
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 am

What Korean Twitter accounts do you follow? I tried finding some interesting accounts but most of them only link to Instagram or official announcements.
Hope you will reach 166 hours, sounds tough!
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Christi wrote:What Korean Twitter accounts do you follow? I tried finding some interesting accounts but most of them only link to Instagram or official announcements.
Hope you will reach 166 hours, sounds tough!

Mostly random fan accounts, so a lot of what they tweet isn’t exactly language you would use in real life, but i still find it really useful since it barely requires any effort and i always open twitter without even thinking, thank you i’ll try my best!
0 x

fjib
Yellow Belt

Postby fjib » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:44 pm

i feel really bad because i only studied for 1 hour and 15 minutes today because i wasn't home and when i got home i immediately fell asleep, but i'm gonna try to make up for it tomorrow

-did anki
-watched a vlive and made anki cards from it
0 x

Return to “Language logs”