Rem's Language Log (multiple languages)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Rem
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English
Learning: German (B2), Mandarin (A2), Czech (beginner)
On hold: French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2837

Rem's Language Log (multiple languages)

Postby Rem » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 am

Hi all. 8-)

I've been "umming and ahhing" for the past few days about whether or not to post a log here. Like many others I'm waiting anxiously to see the outcome of talks over the future of the HTLAL forum. I hope some solution can be found that will keep the community together and moving forwards.

In any case, I've decided that it can't hurt for me to start a log here. :)

I'm not going to repost everything from my HTLAL log; it's all still over there if anyone is particularly interested in it (though there’s not really much to see). It was mostly a few ramblings about my Uni language exams/assessments and a few frustrated vents about my plateaus and general lack of direction. :P

I'll write about my specific languages in my next post when I've (hopefully) thought of some new goals as well. I find that I need goals to keep me focused otherwise I tend to get distracted easily. As much as I hate exams and assessments they do give me something concrete to aim for. However, as it's summer I don't have any classes at the moment and all of my exams have finished, so I've had to try and think of other things to motivate myself with and I'm finding it difficult to say the least. :(
0 x
University Degree (years) : 2 / 4
New Practical Chinese Reader Book 2 (chapters) : 13 / 14
Watch Star Trek: TOS in German (episodes) : 29 / 79

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Rem's Language Log (multiple languages)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:06 am

Found you!

How's your French going Rem?

PM
0 x

Rem
Orange Belt

Postby Rem » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:47 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Found you!

PM

Hey PM.

My French is going pretty well and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of the pronunciation. :)

I still have a LONG way to go though.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 am

Rem wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Found you!

PM

Hey PM.

My French is going pretty well and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of the pronunciation. :)

I still have a LONG way to go though.

That's good to hear that you're improving your accent Rem.

As for the long way to go. I'm finding I'm really enjoying the journey itself lately particularly as I am gradually understanding more and more French native materials. The journey is tougher earlier on, you're likely to really enjoy your journey more sooner than you might think provided you stick at it! Bonne continuation!
0 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:11 pm

Rem -

Great to see you posting over here! Look forward to following your progress in French!
0 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

Rem
Orange Belt

Postby Rem » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:12 pm

My reading/writing vs speaking/listening skills seem to be massively imbalanced at the moment.

This is particularly evident in my classes. If we're covering reading/writing then I don't usually have a problem, on the other hand, if we're having a speaking/listening class then it often feels WAY too difficult for me. I get lost very quickly and I sometimes wonder whether or not I'm making any progress at all. It's very frustrating and I'm worried that I may not even pass my speaking/listening this year. :(

My tutors are very supportive and they seem to think that I'll be fine. Maybe they're right and it's just my nerves getting in the way again, but I still can't help but worry. :(

I do realise that I'm probably never going to have equal ability in all four skills, but I'd like to be able to close the gap a little bit so that I can start to have at least some of the confidence in speaking/listening that I do in reading/writing.

I'm going to start listening to lots more native audio and really trying to improve.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”