Year and a Half of German and French !

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
naqvisson
White Belt
Languages: English, Urdu/Hindi (N), Punjabi, Sariaki, Finnish (A1), Swedish (B1/B2),
Studies: German, French!
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ch#p128541

Re: Year and a Half of German and French !

Postby naqvisson » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:41 pm

French:

Linguaphone 1990: 5 Lessons/30
French Without Toil: 7 lessons
NFWE: 30

Swedish:
Finally I got hands on Rivstart B2+C1 book from the library. Aiming to study it regularly from July 05. Reading newspaper almost daily.

German:
Started listening Living Language II on the go audios while walking.

I am also helping a Finnish friend in learning German and in return she is helping a bit in Finnish and Swedish. Team work helps. :)
2 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:50 pm

naqvisson wrote:French:

Linguaphone 1990: 5 Lessons/30
French Without Toil: 7 lessons
NFWE: 30

Swedish:
Finally I got hands on Rivstart B2+C1 book from the library. Aiming to study it regularly from July 05. Reading newspaper almost daily.

German:
Started listening Living Language II on the go audios while walking.

I am also helping a Finnish friend in learning German and in return she is helping a bit in Finnish and Swedish. Team work helps. :)

LL is arguably the best course for developing one's listening because each lesson starts with the dialogue spoken at native speed and is repeated slowly for the student to parse the syllables.

I am glad to see that you're going strong with your French! FWOT is my favourite Assimil and I am tempted to play the audios for nostalgia's sake.

naqvisson wrote:Finished 10 lessons of the Assimil Russian. Glanced a few pages of Linguaphone Russian and that was it. May be after French, I will study Russian with full zeal.y

My aim for Persian is to study Persian poetry. However, one poet had said some thing like this that "The world has made me to forget your memories as the worries of earning a livelihood are more relevant at the moment." Therefore may be some times later, I will definitely come back to these two languages: Persians and Russian.

I am doing Linguaphone French 1990 at the moment.

I can't even dare to imagine how much more difficult Russian would be than any of the other languages you mentioned. Since you speak/write Urdu, learning Persian wouldn't be a quantum leap for you. Similarly, speaking English and French made learning French and Spanish manageable.

Language exchanges are a very good idea. I used to engage in them when I was learning French and Persian. I stopped because I reached 'critical mass' in French, and got burnt out by Persian.
1 x

naqvisson
White Belt
Languages: English, Urdu/Hindi (N), Punjabi, Sariaki, Finnish (A1), Swedish (B1/B2),

Postby naqvisson » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:32 pm

French:

Linguaphone: 10/30
FWOT: 33

Still no out put however surprisingly I have dreamed in French :-D . French has finally started making sense and I am getting the jist of facebook french comments.

Next Sunday, I am scheduled to speak French for the first time with my friends in France.

The month of August is dedicated to French and I will try to finish 50 /50 Lessons of FWOT/NFWE and 5 more lessons of Linguaphone French.

Russian:
Assimil Russian 20/100

Plans to visit St. Petersburg have been deffered till April next year. I have read that a new e-visa regulation will come into effect from October this year allowing tourists atleast a week long stay. Hopefully, I will finish Assimil and Advanced Assimil before visiting Russia.

For the next 20 days, I will try to do 10 more lessons of Assimil.

Swedish:
Rivstart B2-C1: 1/12
Severige Radio: Daily for 15 mins.

German: Harrypotter 1: 4 pages !
German is on a kind of hold these days. I really want to focus on French for this month. Doing 4 languages daily is taking its toll and even there came a week when I just left all 4 of them and focused on the 5th language: Python.

For the next two months, my main focus will remain French and minor will be Russian.
1 x

naqvisson
White Belt

Postby naqvisson » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:53 pm

After the last post, ie Aug 11,2019, I found a full time job and started another masters in Big Data Analytics. Thus all my languages came to a hold. I had literally speaking no time to sleep even. All during this time, I have only been listening swedish radio and sometimes watching svt.

I am back again and from today I will update my log weekly.

I resumed my studies in the first week of Jan. 2020.

I will try to focus on French, Swedish and Russian. Hoping to stay consistent this year.
0 x

naqvisson
White Belt

Postby naqvisson » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Well, life gets busy and so was my language learning halted. I thought back in January that I will be regular but unfortunately couldn't.

May be the motivation became an issue. I don't have any urgent needs for French. I still have to figure out which country to move to after finishing my studies. Its all the same everywhere as Corona sucks.

I have been all these times trying to listen severige radio almost regularly. Apart from that, since past one month or so, I have been doing New French with Ease one last time.

I will try to be regular..ie posting once a week.
I completed 42 lessons again starting from first.

Besides that, I am trying to spend atleast 30 minutes to Russian every day.

Assimil Russian with Ease 2011: 18
New French with Ease: 42

Meanwhile, I daily listen to svereige radio out of habit for atleast 10-15 minutes. I dabbled with Persian as well for just 3 weeks as my flatmate was an iranian research student who got stuck here due to corona crisis in Iran.

I have been lately thinking and soul searching about this language learning hobby.

I have been wondering how many languages and why?

Why I get demotivated after 2 weeks :-( ? Is it due to always searching and hoarding materials? Or always listening /watching youtube language learning gurus and spending too much time on learning how to learn instead of actual learning language?

Do I need to dabble a many or learn a few to the highest level?

After enough soul searching, I realized I only need Swedish, French and German to the highest level while Russian at mere B1 level will be enough. This goal is enough to keep me engaged for next 2-3 years.

No need to keep collecting language books. If nature took me to some unknown lands, I am hopeful that I can learn the language in may be 6 -7 months.

I admit that I couldn't stick to my year and a half of German amd French study. I am down but not yet out. I resume my language learning study.
4 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 pm

I have been wondering how many languages and why?
It's entirely up to you (though do take into account the amount of your free time)

Why I get demotivated after 2 weeks :-( ? Is it due to always searching and hoarding materials? Or always listening /watching youtube language learning gurus and spending too much time on learning how to learn instead of actual learning language?

Motivation is nice and all, but progress requires grit and persistance. Stick to some easy to define goal and do it daily, e.g. two duolingo lessons, or one duo story. After a while you'll find it easier to add more tasks on top of that and accelerate your studies.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”