Beli Tsar's log - Ancient Greek, Farsi, Latin, Hebrew

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Re: Beli Tsar's log - Ancient Greek, Farsi, Latin, Hebrew

Postby Beli Tsar » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:11 am

It’s been a pleasant month - January is a little quieter than other times, and I’ve been making the most of it. I intended (as ever) to do some good grammatical textbook work. Instead I read Harry Potter, which was more fun.

January Progress
LLSPI : 35 / 35 (Read with good understanding) +1
LLSPI : 29 / 35 (Anki & understood) +1
LLSPI : 22 / 35 (Pensa)
LLSPI : 18 / 35 (Excercita) +1
Duolingo [progress=]22/22[/progress] (Gold levels)
TY Latin : 7 / 33 +1
Moreland & Fleischer : 2 / 18 +0
Anki Words to 2000 : 2000 / 2000 (to 2000)
Anki Words to 6000 : 3292 / 6000 (to 6000) +904
LanguageCrush words = 6329 (approx. Intermediate 1 according to LingQ) +0

Very little progress on LLPSI, as I took the time off for some extensive reading (see below). But vocab learning has been satisfactory - I’ve got well ahead of my target, triple the speed I need to hit 6000 this year, though there were some very low hanging fruit to pick this month. The extra words are already making a difference with reading. I'll need buffer this week at least - exams next week.

Readers:
LLPSI Colloquia
Cloelia
Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis
Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum
LLPSI Fabellae Latinae
LLPSI Fabulae Syrae
Ritchie’s Fabulae Faciles
Ritchie’s Fabulae ab urbe Condita
Lhomond Epitome Historia Sacra
Sidwell Mediaeval Latin.

I naturally gravitate to extensive reading with little care for precision, which is exactly why I have been trying to restrain myself from it. I wanted to finish the basic grammar before I let myself go, so that my Latin didn’t end up as woolly and imprecise as my Greek.
Unfortunately I got Harry Potter 1 & 2 in Latin for my birthday (along with Sidwell’s Medieval Latin and a copy of LLPSI part II). I couldn’t resist dipping into it, and was delighted to find how easy it was. While the first couple of chapters took some effort, and I needed the English in parallel, I was able to to work through a chapter every evening. The first couple were hard, and I re-read them; by the middle of the book I was finding pages where I didn’t need to look up anything or check it in the English (though not many). Going back to pages I’ve read, it’s amazing how much has stuck.
And it feels like it’s come at exactly the right time; there is still too much grammar I’m not clear on, but it felt like reading this volume now was exactly what I needed. Suddenly reading is far easier, and it feels like my Latin has taken a great leap forward.

It seems like a good translation - it does stick to English word order more than it should, but it’s enjoyable and well done. And the English word order makes comparing it with the English easier. The Latin is noticeably easier than the Ancient Greek version, possibly because Ancient Greek is just more…. Ancient. It seems to me that translating a novel is mostly hard because Ancient languages just don’t have that many descriptive words. They weren’t as interested in colour and facial expressions and tone of voice as we are, let alone landscape description - as you can see from the bald style of narrative in the Bible (especially the Old Testament), or the Icelandic Sagas, or Ancient Chronicles… So while it's actually not hard to come up with words for modern things (cars, telephones, magic wands...) it is hard to come up with the words for the way modern people use narrative to describe the world. Ancient Greek, despite a very large vocabulary, just doesn’t naturally have this rich descriptive capacity, and that makes any translation clumsy. Latin has those extra centuries of use, and even Classical Latin is just that little bit later than the most canonical Ancient Greek. It makes a real difference. There are plenty of odd circumlocutions in the book, but far less than in the Greek.

Listening:
Roma Aeterna
Though I am still theoretically working through Familia Romana, I’ve started listening to Roma Aeterna, hoping that a bit of pre-listening will ease the famously difficult transition between the two volumes. The first chapter is remarkably easy, but my comprehension begins to slip rapidly after that. It’s nice to listen to something new and challenging, though.

Greek:
Usual NT daily reading
Lysias Against Eratosthenes (Intensive) (on hold)
Athenaze Ephodion I (on hold)
Nothing to report

Hebrew:
Nothing to report.

Farsi:
Nothing to report.
11 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:24 pm

Congratulations on all your reading.
I gave up on the Ancient Greek Harry Potter after just a few sentences. The novels are too unfamiliar to me for me to even make guesses at the meanings of words.
Have you tried Avem Ocidere Mimicam by Harper Lee. I have a copy, though it's unread.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)

Postby Beli Tsar » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:51 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:I gave up on the Ancient Greek Harry Potter after just a few sentences. The novels are too unfamiliar to me for me to even make guesses at the meanings of words.

I haven't got very far either. I know the novels reasonably well, but they are still hard! Besides being more opaque than Latin anyway, the author has made a conscious decision to model his literary style on Lucian, who though not the hardest author isn't exactly familiar to most of us; and in general he seems to have generally scoured the language for interesting words that fit perfectly, however rare they are...
I might take another shot sometime in the next year or two, having a bit more familiarity with the detail of the text after going through in Latin.
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Have you tried Avem Ocidere Mimicam by Harper Lee. I have a copy, though it's unread.

No, I'd never come across it! Winnie Ille Pooh (which sounds good) and Hobbitus Ille (which sounds like a poor translation) but never this. I've dowloaded the kindle sample... Thank you!
2 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt

Postby Beli Tsar » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:06 am

A little slowed down at the start of the month by some exams I’ve had to take. These aren’t language-related, but I used language learning skills - a little shadowing of texts, and a lot of Anki. It really worked (I did well, and much of that was specific facts and details I owed to Anki) but I also got to experience the full Anki overload that people so often complain about - tides of cards, many just not optimised for this kind of learning. Lots of lists... It was painful, and while I intend to winnow those cards and keep a good number for long-term knowledge, it reminded of the merits of slow & steady learning; Anki’s a great tool for me in that, but a very bad master. Since I don’t want to dump all the new cards, the rest of the month I’ve had to slow down new cards on Anki for everything - words, LLPSI sentences, LLPSI exercita - to avoid card overload and get the daily workload human again.

February Progress
LLSPI : 35 / 35 (Read with good understanding)
LLSPI : 29 / 35 (Anki & understood) +0
LLSPI : 22 / 35 (Pensa) +0
LLSPI : 19 / 35 (Excercita) +1
Duolingo [progress=]22/22[/progress] (Gold levels)
TY Latin : 7 / 33
Anki Words to 6000 : 3805 / 6000 (to 6000) +513

I still mananged a little proper work on LLPSI this month: moving forward on some *excercita*. As ever, they are either laughably easy or horrific. The more I work with this though, I do think the method, with all its advantages, is slightly misconceived. Most things you absorb deeply by reading them in the main text. But then, since it introduces so much at once in some chapters (both active and passive imperfect in chapter 19, active and passive future in chapter 20), the text doesn’t actually expose you to all the forms. They are there in the margins and briefly enumerated in the grammar section, but you actually rely on the exercita to expose you to them. That they do, and helpfully, but you shouldn’t be exposed to something the first time in a grammar drill, and certainly not in an inductive textbook!

That’s probably why I’ve also engaged in a little rebellion - I picked up a (cheap secondhand) copy of Wheelock’s Latin, the most execrated textbook on the Reddit Latin sub and elsewhere, and rapidly worked through some of the exercises for reinforcement. I’ve enjoyed it and found it useful, even if it’s not the book to start with, and is inadequate on its own. Possibly more practically I’ve also got hold of a Latin verb drill books, which from the brief bit I’ve done with it so far, seems helpful. Going through the chapters for things I ‘know’ rapidly and verbally rather than writing is helping pick out some weak spots and internalise things a bit better. Hopefully I can use them a bit more thoroughly to hit weak points.

Words progress hit by exams, but still far above what I need to hit my target this year. With recent discussions in mind, I’m feeling a bit guilty about the time going into this!

Readers:
LLPSI Colloquia
Cloelia
LLPSI Fabellae Latinae
LLPSI Fabulae Syrae
Sidwell Mediaeval Latin.

Enjoying the second volume of Harry Potter; and as well as just being fun, it’s now led me to a pleasant moment with grammar - my grammar studies now feel driven by reading, whether that’s looking things up, or just discovering how things I have been reading work when I get to that bit of a textbook. It feels much more pleasurable - much less like learning a list of things because I have to learn a list of things. LLPSI (even the English guide) is useless for this, and the textbooks I had aren’t great; Wheelock’s and the grammar drills are much more useful.

Listening:
Still listening to bits of Roma Aeterna, though it’s challenging (I should read the chapters...) but really enjoying *Philologia Perennis,* a podcast of conversations between two Latin teachers. It’s a step up from Satura Lanx etc., and conversational, but flowing and fluently competent, which makes it good listening. I’ve also begun listening to the Vulgate - Bedwere’s excellent Old Testament recording (Deuteronomy and Ruth) and another recording of the New Testament (Galatians and Luke). It’s surprisingly easy to understand, especially the Old Testament narrative. Galatians is a little harder, but still easier than I’d expected, considering that I’ve not actually read those sections of the Vulgate yet. Listening first seems a bit daft, but it’s working.

Greek:
Usual NT daily reading
Nothing to report

Hebrew:
Nothing to report.

Farsi:
Nothing to report.

French:

For the first time for a number of years, we’re going abroad on holiday, to Brittany. Really looking forward to it, but also feeling like I should brush up some basic tourist French in spare moments. I did do some French in school; it wasn’t well taught (we didn’t touch any tense but the present until the final year...) but I’m not starting from scratch. Obviously I don’t have time and should concentrate on Latin, but...

To begin, I thought I’d do a few tests to see where I stand currently:

Dialang:
  • Listening - B1 (self-assessment A2)
  • Writing - A2 (self-assessment A1)
  • Reading - B1
  • Structures - A1 or below
  • Vocabulary - A1 or below

Some of this does simply indicate 1) any online test is easy to game by being good at tests; and 2) French is close enough to English that you can guess what’s going on without any actual clue. So I’ve rarely read or listened to French, but I can pretend to some receptive skills. Surprised, though, that the vocab came out so much worse than everything else!

To verify my lack of grammar/structures, I also did a Kwiziq placement test. Somehow I managed to fail A0; not sure how that is a thing...

Now I mustn’t get distracted. But I’ll do a bit of free stuff in free moments; I’m 1/4 through language transfer, to get me talking a little; and have begun Kwiziq. I’ve done my free 2 weeks of Kwiziq tests (moving beyond A0! Yay!) and will continue doing my free 10 tests a month. I absolutely love it, it seems to do what real computerised language learning should do. And I’ll Ankify the lessons and errors so I can get the most out of that little bit. Maybe a few other bits and pieces here and there? Maybe a little Duolingo in empty moments of the day when I haven't anything better available - starting from the beginning, the vocab etc. is far too easy, but it makes me type, which means all the little details I usually glide over are required. I actually failed the first checkpoint before doing a few lessons.

And, of course, I’ll try and fill glaring vocab holes with a frequency list or sentence deck nearer the time.

It will be interesting to see if I can move the needle far enough for Dialang to actually notice by the time I’ve had a holiday... It’s not really long enough at this intensity, but it would be fun to do so.
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:38 am

Beli Tsar wrote:French:

And, of course, I’ll try and fill glaring vocab holes with a frequency list or sentence deck nearer the time.
Pish! If you're going to Brittany you clearly need to be brushing up with Asterix comics!

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/100344-00 ... -brittany/
1 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt

Postby Beli Tsar » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:02 am

A month of family COVID, bereavement in my wife’s family, doctor’s appointments, and general exhaustion. Still had some fun.

Inspired again this month by this article on the great historian Peter Brown, the greatest historian of late antiquity, someone who has always been a hero for me in my academic work. It turns out that he is not just polyliterate in the way any good historian must be, but a polyglot who takes great joy in learning languages - someone who wakes at four and studies three languages for an hour each.

He talks about the way, for him, ‘a language was a way into a world’ rather than something studied for its own sake; he loves the door into other cultures that languages offer. Languages are his main hobby, and it talks about him being familiar with more than 20 languages (whatever that means!) It’s inspiring stuff. It’s a great example of languages used well. If I live another couple of hundred years I hope to emulate him.

March Progress
LLSPI : 30 / 35 (Anki & understood) +1
LLSPI : 23 / 35 (Pensa) +1
LLSPI : 20 / 35 (Excercita) +1

LLPSI Roma Aeterna : 2 / 20 (Read)+1
LLPSI Roma Aeterna : 5 / 20 (Vocab) +4

Duolingo : 22 / 22 (Gold levels)
TY Latin : 7 / 33 +0
Anki Words to 6000 : 4469 / 6000 (to 6000) +664

This month felt like more progress than the above implies. As I went on with the exercitia, I was becoming more and more aware of big deficiencies, things I’d missed earlier - my grasp of the four conjugations was inadequate, for instance - due to the inductive nature of LLPSI. Things that seemed like little details to be dealt with by intuition and reading turn out to need more thorough understanding to progress later... so I’ve been backfilling some of those inadequacies. With more reading under my belt, too, grammar learning feels like it is sticking better.

Words continue at a good rate: at my current speed I’ll achieve my one-year, six thousand word target in six months.

Readers:
LLPSI Colloquia
Cloelia
LLPSI Fabellae Latinae
LLPSI Fabulae Syrae
Sidwell Mediaeval Latin.

I finished Harry Potter 2 early in the month, and am disappointed there aren’t more. Also finished off the Fabellae Latinae (the longer edition, supplemented by Miraglia; easy but a good supplement for LLPSI). I want to plow on with more serious reading (get started on Caesar, for instance) but holding myself back to work on Fabulae Syrae for now. It’s a good book and should help me shore up the grammar from the later chapters of Familia Romana.

Read through Galatians in the Vulgate last night, and sentence-mined it; easier than I thought, and looking over the sentences I mined this morning they are mostly too easy - will be more sparing next time. The Vulgate does seem enormously easier than most Classical Latin

The difference in my reading capacity in two months is huge: reading two novels was enough to transform it. I should hold back, do a bit more grammar, finish the Fabulae, and Sermones Romani, but really wanting to get a couple of interesting diglots and press on.

Greek:
Usual NT daily reading
Nothing to report

Hebrew:
Nothing to report.

Farsi:
Slowly reintroducing some basic Anki phrase cards, just to revivify ultra-basic conversational abilities. I got fed up of having things on the tip of my tongue, but not being able to say them when I meet real Iranians.

French:

Kwiziq A1 : 19 / 100 +7%
Language Transfer : 15 / 40 +4

Secretly pressing on with a bit of Kwiziq and Duo here in my spare time. Feels like they are forcing me to learn the little details (gender etc.!) that I have blithely skated over before now.
11 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:17 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:Read through Galatians in the Vulgate last night, and sentence-mined it; easier than I thought, and looking over the sentences I mined this morning they are mostly too easy - will be more sparing next time. The Vulgate does seem enormously easier than most Classical Latin.

It generally is, just as New Testament Greek is easier than all but the easiest classical Greek. Perhaps the book of Hebrews or 1/2 Peter might be harder than some of Xenophon or Lysias. (Being almost entirely ignorant of Hebrew, I have no idea how the Hebrew Bible and the Septuagint compare to the Vulgate Old Testament.)
3 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt

Postby Beli Tsar » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:06 pm

A month of more family illness, plus a lovely but busy holiday in the Yorkshire dales, followed by more family illness, followed by a very busy Easter, followed by travelling for a family funeral, plus multiple hardcore research essays. I’ve somehow personally avoided getting sick(er) but have had lots of extra staying up to look after sick people.

It’s not been too bad, really, but for most of the month I’ve had to stop learning new Anki cards. Besides lack of time, I have also experienced a massive increase in stupidity - or, rather, poor memory. My failed cards in Anki have doubled or thereabouts, and I’m failing things over and over again. So I’ve been making various remedial sentence cards to help with difficult ones, and simultaneously avoiding new things. It’s still been possible to read and listen a little.

April Progress
LLSPI : 31 / 34 (Anki & understood) +1
LLSPI : 24 / 35 (Pensa) +1
LLSPI : 20 / 35 (Excercita) +0

LLPSI Roma Aeterna : 2 / 20 (Read)+0
LLPSI Roma Aeterna : 5 / 20 (Vocab) +0

Anki Words to 6000 : 4647 / 6000 (to 6000) +158

Readers:
LLPSI Colloquia
Cloelia
LLPSI Fabellae Latinae
LLPSI Fabulae Syrae
Sidwell Mediaeval Latin.

Very little progress here, obviously; very little grammar and very few words this month. I’ve signed up for a half super challenge, starting tomorrow, so we’ll see what happens (post to follow with details).

But I’ve been enjoying Fabulae Syrae; it’s the best LLPSI supplement I’ve used so far. The Colloquia are good (if a tad easy); the Fabellae decent extra reading, if sometimes a little dull. These Fabulae, on the other hand, are clearly very, very well planned. They add only a little new vocabulary, but push you in a really healthy way - using what’s taught in the lessons, but playing a little with word order and syntax. They feel more like real Latin, and with four stories or so for each chapter of LLPSI they cover it’s a good volume of text. LLPSI really needs supplementation at the end, not the beginning, and it does that well. Scorpio Martianus’ recordings of it, though not yet quite completed, are also excellent.

The only thing I dislike about the book is the content of Greek and Roman myth; this is the uncensored, adult version. Obviously we're not supposed to talk negatively about religions on this site, but hopefully I can make an exception for one that died out 1600 years ago: the ideas they had about their gods were vile. The really lucky women in these stories are the ones who turn into trees.

I’ve been doing some listening/parallel reading via the [https://neumz.com/](https://neumz.com/) app - Gregorian chant with parallel text. It’s very well done and refreshing to have new, easy text regularly.

Greek:
Usual NT daily reading
Nothing to report

Recent discussion of Koine vs. Classical Greek has had me wondering what I’ll do after Latin, and I have been looking through my paper copy of Gunther Zuntz’s Course in Classical and Post-Classical Greek; this is a textbook that (as a legitimate paper copy at least) is rarer than hen’s teeth, and very highly recommended. It’s very thorough and encourages active use of the language, and I’m hoping to get to work through some time in the next couple of years.

Hebrew:
Nothing to report.

Farsi:
Continued a few phrase flashcards - not really enough to help on the rare occasions I’ve been able to speak. Ought to listen to something occasionally...

French:
Kwiziq A1 : 25 / 100 +6%
Language Transfer : 20 / 40 +5

I’ve been pressing ahead with Duo, and supplementing that with Linguno to drill verbs thoroughly, plus the somewhat deeper learning from my 10 free Kwiziq quizzes and their attached lessons. Just in the last few days the Kwizzes got remarkably easier, because I’m now far enough along in Duo to actually be learning new things and so reinforce/pre-learn for Kwiziq. Linguno is also helping, and is excellent for verb practice, since I needed some good drilling with SRS built in.

Language transfer’s been helpful, though the course is much too short and I’m not using it regularly enough.

I’ve just picked up Pimsleur from the library, so hopefully I can pick up a little speaking capacity before Brittany this summer: RDearman’s adventures in Korea have underlined the usefulness of Pimselur for travel - even if French is a lot easier than Korean!

It’s certainly all making a difference. The trouble is that with Latin I am no longer at the stage where I can productively make any progress by wasting time on easy things at my desk or on my phone. And when I’m mentally exhausted it’s hard doing anything useful with Latin at all, whereas I don’t mind failing a few Duo questions.... so as a result I’m wasting too much mental energy on an inefficient way of learning a language that’s really a distraction anyway...

Perhaps more interestingly, it's really fascinating learning a language in a CEFR-keyed way for the first time. It's radically different to what I've done before. Ancient Greek, Latin, and Hebrew are all learned according to the logic of the language - an idealised, pedagogical order, that makes it easier to absorb. I tackled Farsi the same way - meaning I knew lots of tenses before lots of functional phrases.

CEFR-keyed learning is very different. It's governed more by what you are trying to do than by the logic of learning - so if you are trying to say where you come from, you need to know all the little rules that govern prepositions and articles in those specific sentences, something that would be a triviality to leave till later if you were learning Latin. Kwiziq especially includes lots of these little rules - too many, indeed; I really don't care to waste energy on knowing how you refer to Quebec differently to other regions, or the genders of English counties... Of course, it does make sense in general, learning to say what you need to say correctly, but it does mean tackling a lot more minor details. sooner.
9 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt

Postby Beli Tsar » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:53 pm

This is my first ‘monthly’ entry since April; I wrote up an entry for May, and never posted it. It was going to say that the month was derailed, since my Dad had a major and unexpected cancer operation.

But that log was never posted, and my Dad died shortly after. It was very quick - as these things go - and we were able to look after him at home. That was a great privilege, and it was very good having that last time with him. But it was intense and very hard. Since then, the last few months, therefore, have been a hideous mix of driving, admin, looking after extended family, looking after extended family’s dog, and, of course, grieving. I need a holiday rather badly.

Very little to really report, therefore, whether super challenge or learning. I’ve kept up my Anki streak and read a decent bit of Latin, but that’s it, really.

Half Super challenge
Listening
  • Assorted Podcasts - 433 minutes
  • Fabulae Syrae - 245 minutes
  • Epitome Historia Sacra - 126 minutes
  • Imitatio Christi - 151 minutes
  • LLPSI - 21 minutes
  • Psalms 6 minutes
  • Sermones Romani - 37 minutes
  • New Testament - 131 minutes
That’s 1,150 minutes or 12.7 films, so solidly ahead of target.

Nearly all the decent Latin podcasts out there seem to have stopped posting; they still have decent back catalogues, but I’d definitely like some new ones!

Reading
  • Fabulae Syrae - 50ish pages
  • Imitatio Christi - 65 pages
  • Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis - 249 pages (finished)
  • Eutropius 10ish pages
  • Vita Aelredi 38 pages

This is 331 pages or 8.4 ‘books’ so somewhat behind here. I ought to update the bot at some point... With everything going on I've never got round to it.

May+June+July+August Progress
LLSPI : 31 / 34 (Anki & understood) +0

LLSPI : 24 / 35 (Pensa) +0
LLSPI : 20 / 35 (Excercita) +0

LLPSI Roma Aeterna : 2 / 20 (Read)+0
LLPSI Roma Aeterna : 5 / 20 (Vocab) +0

Anki Words to 6000 : 6000 / 6000 (to 6000) +1353 (338/month)

Readers:
  • LLPSI Colloquia
  • Cloelia
  • Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis*2
  • Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum
  • LLPSI Fabellae Latinae
  • LLPSI Fabulae Syrae
  • Ritchie’s Fabulae Faciles
  • Ritchie’s Fabulae ab urbe Condita
  • Lhomond Epitome Historia Sacra
  • Sidwell Mediaeval Latin.

Real Reading:
  • De Imitatione Christi - a Kempis
  • Vita Aelredi - Walter Daniel

I finished Fabellae Latinae. It’s an excellent book - much more varied sentence structure than most Latin readers I’ve met so far. It does fall into what seems to be the inevitable trap of proceeding along a nice graded curve, and then in the last chapter announcing ‘now here's some unadapted Latin poetry, which you can totally read, because we’ve taught you all the components you need to read it’. But I can’t; maybe I know the elements, but it isn’t the same as reading the stuff, even in the limited examples they give. The initial chapters of Roma Aeterna are much easier (for me). I’ll come back to this, though.

Finished Harry Potter 1, with a big jump in fluency (checking things in parallel translation about 1-2/page). Reading the De Imitatione Christi (still checking something every few sentences, but it still *feels* easy); it’s rewarding, since you can read an enjoy it a few paragraphs at a time. I’m also reading Walter Daniel’s Life of Ailred, in Powicke’s excellent parallel-text edition, from Cambridge medieval texts. It’s a good bit tougher than the imitation, but I’m enjoying it.

None of this is real intensive reading; I ought to finish off LLPSI and launch into Caesar once I can regain the energy. But what I have been reading has been what I needed under the circumstances - it’s done me good and kept me going.

All this reading has been heavily boosted by my vocab learning; I hit the 6000 target I set myself at the start of the year, four months early. The absence of real learning made picking up extra vocab easier, and vocab learning takes so much less mental bandwith when you've got other things on. 6000 is a totally arbitrary target, of course. I took it since it seems to be around that number that people talk about novels beginning to be possible. I’ll keep pushing for the rest of the year, though probably at nice calm 50 words or so per week.

Greek:
  • Usual NT daily reading
  • Lysias Against Eratosthenes (Intensive) (on hold)
  • Athenaze Ephodion I (on hold)
Even my Greek New Testament reading has taken a hit these few months.

Hebrew:
Nothing to report.

Farsi:

I keep getting opportunities to speak, and I remember nothing. I added a few sentences to Anki a while back, but I need more practice to keep things in mind.

French:
  • Kwiziq A1 : 31 / 100 +6%
  • Language Transfer : 37 / 40 +17
  • Duolingo - Checkpoint 3 (supposedly A1 material completed).
  • Linguno A2-1 (+1)

So our holiday to Brittany was cancelled for the funeral, and I therefore lost a lot of enthusiasm here, as well as time and energy. Hopefully we’ll go back next year, but that’s a very different goal.

What I’ve done has been very small and bitty, and yet - with Kwiziq’s help - I feel it’s made a very substantial difference. It feels like it’s been possible to get some really solid consolidation. Kwiziq means I know a lot of grammar I never knew; Linguno means I can conjugate far more reliably (still just present and passé composé, but it’s much quicker and across a far broader range of verbs); Duolingo has been helpful, despite its limitations, because now that it is CEFR-mapped, it’s given me extra exposure to concepts from Kwiziq. Language transfer is a good program, taught me a few shortcuts, and was helpful to get me speaking, but was really far too easy for a false beginner. It wasn’t quite time wasted, but I wouldn’t do it again for a language unless I was brand new to it.

At some point I’ll try and get going with Kwiziq+ Anki, and probably Pimsleur II (which from a quick test seems a good level for me). When that will be, who knows. Meanwhile I’ll keep it all vaguely in memory by consolidating with daily Linguno and Duo in a spare moment.
10 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:30 pm

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your father. The passing of a parent is one of life's greatest difficulties.
Also agreed that so often a course or book takes you by the hand only at the end of the journey to throw you off a cliff.
5 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language logs”