SGP's Undaground Mad Not-quite-a-Scientist Languij Gizmos Lab

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: SGP's Language Lab Log

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Because I am a very big supporter of Life-Long Learning, I just sent the following PM to a certain member:

Hi there _____________,
maybe you already read the parody of my (previous) writing style by Deinoysus.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9523&start=30#p129432

It made be me [*] really laugh a lot. As for my (text-based) way of expression, I did some adjustments to it afterwards. And I also never wrote like that "SGP impersonation" in Deinoysus's post. Although there were some _tendencies_ like these, no doubt.

Would be interested in reading a parody written by you as well. If you do, just don't make it look like if it really was written by me ;). Through things like these, I am able to learn about how to make my posts more fancy and more useful to a broader range of people. They might even include you one day.

- SGP

[*] PM typo.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm

Two new videos in German (well, one of them is bilingual; DE - EN).
Purposes:

- Creativity-related. Because it is about Out of the Box Thinking Food Recipes. Speaking about matters like these adds some fuel to my polyglottery energy as well. #InterlinkingDifferentTopics

- A bit of leisure, too.

- Practicing my mother's tongue that already started to get rusty a very long time ago, then it partially recovered. Still, there are some things I can express in English more easily. The same also applies vice-versa, no doubt. So I have got a reason to do some additional practice of both of them whenever I really (!) have time for that.

0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:41 am

David1917 wrote:For example, what do you think about Prof Arguelles' Arabic level, and the conclusions drawn from this conversation, especially as it relates to the "should I learn MSA or not?" question?
First of all, for those of us who don't know, the main focus of the studies of Professor Alexander Arguelles is about reading, rather than speaking.
Professor Alexander Arguelles @ www . foreignlanguageexpertise . com/about.html ; emphasis added wrote:I am all too frequently asked how many languages I know, and I dread this question because I am truly unable to answer it. Having spent my life studying languages, I have such varying levels of knowledge about or abilities in different languages that I cannot give a simple answer, especially since the traditional borders between languages disappear when, as I have, you study many members of any given language family. When I stumble trying to explain this, people often then ask how many languages I can speak; they are trying to simplify the matter, but this actually just makes it all the more complicated. The only aspect of my foreign language knowledge that I can quantify in any way is my ability to read, for my main goal in studying foreign languages is to develop the ability to read the Great Books that have been written in them.
You asked me what I think of his Arabic level. And I only watched a single video were he speaks it. It was the one you linked to. Also, I'd like to note that I was able to watch some parts of it only. Like visually skimming through it. For some reasons like the audio sometimes stopping, and so on.

As for his speaking skill, I definitely consider it as advanced enough for being able to converse about, at least, most subjects. Some minor errors? Yes, maybe. If they exist, they are about e.g. saying "an yatakallamuna" أن يتكلمون instead of "an yatakallamu" أن يتكلموا. This very example did occur in this video. "yatakallamuna" is the 3rd person present plural of "to speak". But when it is connected to "an", the final letter (the verb's Nun) is dropped, according to the general grammar rule.

However, as for this particular example, I couldn't even entirely (as in: 100%) outrule that keeping that Nun letter has got its foundation in Standard Arabic as well. In some, maybe rare, cases, there also is a second way of saying things like these. Nowadays, some people would directly call them an error, but these things are explained in some of the books on this language, especially in the older ones. There may be a few other things in the video that really would be minor errors. But I don't really mind. The same applies to the accent. It isn't non-existing, but neither is mine.

And as for the conclusions on whether one should learn MSA or not, I definitely agree with him on the importance of learning Standard Arabic. Also, we don't differ on the possibility of communicating with people in various countries in that very flavor of their language. As for me, I'd rather start with Classical Arabic (which is what I actually did), and then I'd look at the differences between it and MSA.

Now why would I recommend that approach? Because a not-so-small number of courses/books that are about the contemporary variant do contain some over-simplifications. Like not explaining some grammar concepts that are needed even for the understanding of some (recent) videos/books/etc. Also, some of the modern learning materials wouldn't focus that much on morphology (as-sarf الصرف). But that area of knowledge really is needed when one tries to comprehend the changes that occur to some verbs when their number or tense changes. Sometimes, one or more letters are being removed, so it isn't always that easy to recognize them. So that's where studying just a bit of morphology comes in handy.

That said, whoever learns MSA from any reliable source, even if it wouldn't be too in-depth, speaking of grammar, already did acquire a certain foundation of some kind that can be built upon.

And just to be clear, whatever I said about learning MSA and some books/courses isn't about Professor Alexander Arguelles nor his Arabic skills. It simply is a part of my answer to David1917's question.
2 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 am

About the corrections I sometimes would be making, especially German, but not limited to it:

SGP wrote:
SGP wrote:Important: Whenever I wouldn't say anything about some other words (even if I quote them as well), this simply means that I keep silent ;). I.e. not saying anything like "right" or "wrong".
So what I was trying to say is: Sometimes I could quote some German sentences written by another person. Then I would correct some words and phrases, while not saying anything about the rest. If I do so, this doesn't mean that I call them wrong of course, but it also doesn't necessarily mean that I call them right either. Instead, it is about being silent only :). I have various reasons for doing so.

Some of them are:

- If it is something very small only, then I would prefer not to correct it all the time (but sometimes only).
- Sometimes I would have to think for a rather long time about the question of "is this a plain error, or simply an uncommon way of expressing oneself?"
- Some sentences might require a bit of rephrasing or starting over.

And that one was about French, because of having corrected a few mistakes of someone who is a beginner and who also asked others for correcting them.
SGP wrote:And as for any corrections I would make in any language, the following applies:
Whatever words or phrases I wouldn't comment on, I am neither explicitly saying that they are wrong, nor that they are right. Instead, it is about being silent only ;). I have got various reasons for doing so. So even if I quote several sentences and make some corrections I am certain about, I am not commenting on anything else. Like the sentence's structure, or some other very minor mistakes, or something else that I am not sure about because not having a C2 level, or because of any other reason.
1 x

Log

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:14 pm

You can bold or colour-code the parts that are fully correct and idiomatic, and just explain that the rest is borderline correct and hard to rephrase :) (or grammatically correct but not the best way to say it, etc)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:37 pm

Serpent wrote:You can bold or colour-code the parts that are fully correct and idiomatic, and just explain that the rest is borderline correct and hard to rephrase :) (or grammatically correct but not the best way to say it, etc)
Serpent....... do you know that I didn't know at first that you were referring to my recent post about (my) German/... corrections? You just caused me laugh so loudly that at least one of the neighbors definitely did hear me. I do know it because of hearing a reaction as well. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now what was I laughing about? Because I thought you were referring to a previous post of mine in this thread, and that you are addressing everyone else but me by saying "you". So I thought you were mentioning an alternative to posting a SGP Flavor Writing Style Reply to any members who might want to do so.

SGP wrote:Because I am a very big supporter of Life-Long Learning, I just sent the following PM to a certain member:

Hi there _____________,
maybe you already read the parody of my (previous) writing style by Deinoysus.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9523&start=30#p129432

It made be me [*] really laugh a lot. As for my (text-based) way of expression, I did some adjustments to it afterwards. And I also never wrote like that "SGP impersonation" in Deinoysus's post. Although there were some _tendencies_ like these, no doubt.

Would be interested in reading a parody written by you as well. If you do, just don't make it look like if it really was written by me ;). Through things like these, I am able to learn about how to make my posts more fancy and more useful to a broader range of people. They might even include you one day.

- SGP

[*] PM typo.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 am

Six miscellaneous questions to whoever visits this Niche Style Lab,
their result just might be some sort of a little brainstorming collab.
Preferring to open six different threads is something I don't really do,
So I'd just like to write these Lab-related questions in this thread to you.

(1) ASL and ISL stand for American / International sign language. Could there still be some reasons why ASL is more useful on an international level than ISL?

(2) How do you perceive citing (not writing) any poetry that definitely can be cited according to this forum's rules, while that poetry is, nevertheless, about something controversial? Because even within the limitations of those rules, there are some topics that not everyone would like to read about, even for pure Lang Matters Reasons. Not an appeaser, and also not trying to make any posts that literally everyone on this forum would be interested in. That would be sorta impossible anyway. But still.

(3) What is the importance of toki pona to you? It is very, very niche, no doubt.

(4) What type of color coding is easier to read or parse to you, highlighting some words, or changing the font's color?

(5) What writing system subjects could be of some interest? No matter if it is about one of the Very Major and Wide-Spread Writing Systems, or about anything that isn't used as frequently as Latin / Kanji / Hangul?

(6) The same question once again, but about transcription systems like Pinyin.
0 x

Log

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 am

SGP wrote:(4) What type of color coding is easier to read or parse to you, highlighting some words, or changing the font's color?

I my work, I've settled down to font colors to highlight endings and some important words, while background colors show grammatical concepts (i.e. cases) of various phrases.
1 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am

SGP wrote:(3) What is the importance of toki pona to you? It is very, very niche, no doubt.

I think it's a fun and wonderful microlanguage. It's quicker to learn than Esperanto because there's much less vocabulary, but much less Eurocentric so a speaker of a European language can't pick up the grammar quite as quickly and intuitively (so that's negative for speakers of European languages, especially western European, but positive for everyone else). It also avoids Esperanto's other negative traits. It's tiny phonology can be pronounced by almost anyone, it doesn't have needless word inflection, it doesn't have redundant vocabulary (which esperanto does have despite an explicit goal to reduce vocabulary with the mal- prefix), and it doesn't assume that the default human is male unless specified otherwise.

I think that every language learner should spend some time learning Toki Pona because it trains one of the most important skills for a beginner: circumlocution. It shows how powerful a tiny vocabulary and core set of grammatical skills can be.

I use circumlocution a lot when I speak or write in French or German. Most of the mistakes I make are when I try to use unfamiliar vocabulary or grammatical constructions that I look up. It's tempting to write something fancy that's beyond your current level, but there's usually a way that you can restate what you want to say using the vocabulary and grammar that you already know. I try to do this whenever possible, and my writing is usually better when I do it.

And of course circumlocution is even more important when you're speaking, because you can't just stop in the middle of a sentence and pull out a textbook when you're trying to buy groceries.
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

SGP
Blue Belt

Party at di Language Lab comic strip episode 1

Postby SGP » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:37 pm

Party at di Language Lab comic strip
Episode 1
Featuring A., E., C., D.1, D.2, R.1, R.2 and S.

Party_at_di_Language_Lab-E1-1.jpg

Party_at_di_Language_Lab-E1-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”