SGP's Undaground Mad Not-quite-a-Scientist Languij Gizmos Lab

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

German nouns have feelings, too!

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:23 pm

A "funky style" explanation of four different German language concepts. Nouns have got feelings, too - this is about the four cases. The other concepts are grammatical genders (der, die, das), compound nouns (those that consist of two or more parts) and connotations (whatever is associated with a word).

0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: SGP's Language Lab Log

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 pm

PM question; rephrased wrote:Do you know anything about that (Nigerian) pidgin?
- It is the result of English meeting some / many languages spoken in Nigeria ;). But as for their specific names, that is beyond me. I would expect some big influence by the likes of Yoruba and Igbo. But since there are literally hundreds of ethnic languages / dialects spoken in Nigeria...

- On the surface level, it has many similarities with Jamaican Patois. Not a big surprise, I'd say, because that flavor of Caribbean English itself has strong African roots. This applies to both of the vocabulary (there are many loanwords from several African languages, including Akan) and the phonetics.

- Nigerian pidgin is used in two different ways, just like its Jamaican counterpart:

(1) Combined with Standard English. Just as they do it in Reggae songs that can easily be understood by anyone with AE / BE knowledge. Most of the words are left unchanged. They may be pronounced in the African / Caribbean way or in the Western one. Some regional pidgin / creole words are being dropped as well. If they are similar to their AE / BE counterparts, they are easy to understand anyway. Like (Nigerian) "aks" instead of "ask". Otherwise, they simply can be looked up. Because they are a few only in the case of (1), this doesn't hinder communication or anything.

(2) Without any Standard English, except when the pidgin / creole words are the very same as the AE / BE ones. In this case, it is more difficult to understand. There is a need to look up many words.

- How does it sound like? Well, there is more than one way to use it (as mentioned above). But that YT video demonstrates its pidgin aspect in a very clear way, I would say.

Asking you by PM because I don't know which of your logs to ask in.
If it is about any language/flavor that I am not learning, then I'd prefer it at the Lab. Because it has been built for that very purpose ;).
2 x

Log

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:39 am

Thank you!
It was me who asked the question, with a link to this twitter account :)
Well, the video is definitely nothing like what they write. But I found this video now (and various videos without subtitles, or with subs in non-pidgin English)
Looks like there's also BBC, at least two radio stations and a dictionary. (Naija, Najia or 9ja is Nigeria)
Edit: finally found an overview.
Also :D
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Serpent wrote:Thank you!
Yuh be welcam :lol:. SCNR.

It was me who asked the question, with a link to this twitter account :)
Yes it was you. But I treat any PM as a PM, even if the sender states that if it was not for the "which log" question, the sender would simply have posted a public reply.

Well, the video is definitely nothing like what they write.
No doubt it isn't. However, it still illustrates in a very vivid way that they have got so many Genuine Pidgin Words.

And as for those two gals, I also was aware of their video. But I decided not to post any video like that one because of some ... personal ... reasons that I'd rather not mention in this thread. #FangirlsTea #WhatDoesThatHashtagEvenMean

By the way, the Nigerian Pidgin isn't only called Broken English. "Broken" (that word only) even is sometimes used as its alternative name.

And while I am at it... here is one more pidgin.

1 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Deutsch: "You can say you to me" - Bitte was? Nicht alles ist 1:1 übersetzbar.

0 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”