Should Know Better But French, Spanish and Japanese

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Re: Should Know Better But French, Spanish and Japanese

Postby Sarafina » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 pm

ロータス wrote:I see you are following the 'recommended path' that has been around forever. I'm surprised you found it since it seems the owner of that blog took it down :( Now the link doesn't show a break down of each season with the owner's thoughts and opinions, sad to see that gone. Will you also being the Lower Int seasons in reverse order?

>had the audio at the front then the Japanese and English sentence at the back

Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. Doing this now with the Marugoto.

Are you splitting the audio by sentences or just putting the whole dialogue file on the first of your cards? Asking bc you said 'sentence' in your sentence xD

1. Unfortunately Japanesepod101 won't allow me to access the Lower Int seasons individually instead it's combined all the episodes into an 'Intermediate Path.'

2. Yeah, I'm going to split the audio into individual sentences

I'm glad to see someone following a similar plan. Marugoto looks a really good resource as well. :D
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Sarafina wrote:1. Unfortunately Japanesepod101 won't allow me to access the Lower Int seasons individually instead it's combined all the episodes into an 'Intermediate Path.'

Looks my "lifetime account" is still going strong ...

I can see individual Lower Intermediate lessons that correspond to the ones I downloaded years ago.

Does this link work for you: https://www.japanesepod101.com/lesson-l ... essons-s4/?

On the dashboard I clicked on "Lesson Library" at the very bottom of the page, selected "Intermediate" in the "Show" drop down box near the top and then picked the appropriate lesson stream.
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:53 pm

dampingwire wrote:
Sarafina wrote:1. Unfortunately Japanesepod101 won't allow me to access the Lower Int seasons individually instead it's combined all the episodes into an 'Intermediate Path.'

Looks my "lifetime account" is still going strong ...

I can see individual Lower Intermediate lessons that correspond to the ones I downloaded years ago.

Does this link work for you: https://www.japanesepod101.com/lesson-l ... essons-s4/?

On the dashboard I clicked on "Lesson Library" at the very bottom of the page, selected "Intermediate" in the "Show" drop down box near the top and then picked the appropriate lesson stream.

Thank you
0 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:10 am

Now that I have finished with my exams, I can properly start to learn Spanish and Japanese and devote more time to French. I've paid for one month premium subscription to Japanesepod101 which would be enough time for me to have added all the audio/lesson notes/Japanese and English lines to my Anki deck. I hope to finish creating the Anki cards for all 301 episodes on Japanesepod101 by the end of January so when I can focus exclusively on just repping the cards and listening to the audio files on loop. Initially, I had hoped to get my Anki cards all sorted within the first two weeks of January but I had a lot of revision to do and making those cards is more time-consuming than I remembered.

I've also paid for a monthly subscription for Pimsleur Spanish.

The 1000 hour challenge for French begins now officially (which includes my goal of spending 500 hours consuming native French content by the start of September). I plan on devoting 30 minutes to just working on my pronunciation/accent in French- my plan is alternate with going back to the absolute basics (e.g. relearn IPA properly, learning more about French pronunciation rules) and chorusing 30 secs dialogue clips and reading along to a French audiobook and recording myself speaking French and compare how I differ from a native speaker. Likewise, I want to devote 20-30 minutes on going through French grammar.

I have a French interview coming up for what is essentially a summer job in Lyon. I'm really nervous about it- hopefully my French should be decent enough. I'll practice answering typical interview questions in French. I've also applied for another job where I made application for three different locations (Canada, Switzerland and France). It's unlikely that I'll be Switzerland but I think I have a chance of getting it in Canada as people in my uni have been successful in getting placed in Canada in the past. But I'll be happy enough with France.

I still have a massive list of internships that I need to apply for ASAP.
2 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:07 pm

Sarafina wrote:Now that I have finished with my exams, I can properly start to learn Spanish and Japanese and devote more time to French. I've paid for one month premium subscription to Japanesepod101 which would be enough time for me to have added all the audio/lesson notes/Japanese and English lines to my Anki deck. I hope to finish creating the Anki cards for all 301 episodes on Japanesepod101 by the end of January

Things might have changed but when I took out a subscription years ago, I could download *everything* in one go via iTunes. I did have to sort everything out properly afterwards, but at least it meant I got everything in one go. I'm sure there used to be well over a thousand lessons (each with dialog, audio, review track, kanji pdf etc). You might not want the advanced lessons today, but they may come in useful further down the line ...
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:59 pm

dampingwire wrote:
Sarafina wrote:Now that I have finished with my exams, I can properly start to learn Spanish and Japanese and devote more time to French. I've paid for one month premium subscription to Japanesepod101 which would be enough time for me to have added all the audio/lesson notes/Japanese and English lines to my Anki deck. I hope to finish creating the Anki cards for all 301 episodes on Japanesepod101 by the end of January

Things might have changed but when I took out a subscription years ago, I could download *everything* in one go via iTunes. I did have to sort everything out properly afterwards, but at least it meant I got everything in one go. I'm sure there used to be well over a thousand lessons (each with dialog, audio, review track, kanji pdf etc). You might not want the advanced lessons today, but they may come in useful further down the line ...

Thank for the suggestion. I'm currently trying to do that now. I don't know if the problem is my computer but nothing has happened. I have iTunes set up. I don't know if it's because I'm downloading too many things at once.
0 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 pm

I did my interview in French and I got a job offer in France for the summer and most of September. I'm really happy about it as I wanted to work in France before my year abroad. I was pleasantly surprised when my interviewer complimented my French (although personally I'm not satisfied with my level of French but it's still something nice to hear).

Japanese and Spanish have been near non-existent. I've committed to a lot of different things this year. I don't know how I'm managing it all :D I've gotten to know more people and consequently made more friends.

I'm pretty content with how this year has progressed.
11 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:27 am

Well done!!!
1 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Carmody wrote:Well done!!!

Thank you
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:49 pm

Congrats! That’s fantastic. What will you be doing?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”