SGP's African, Afro-American and Caribbean English Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

SGP's African, Afro-American and Caribbean English Log

Postby SGP » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 am

This log is about all of African, Afro-American and Caribbean English.
As it is no secret, those three flavors aren't that entirely different.

Not restricting myself to any particular country.
I am interested in the purely language-related aspects of all of these types of English.

Looking forward to getting to know more about all three of them. But I am not learning more about them like someone who puts all of them into the same category. I partially compare it to learning Swedish/Norwegian/Danish. While they all are rather similar, one needs to know which language is which, otherwise there can be some confusion.

Also, knowing a certain variant doesn't automatically mean that one would always speak it as well. I am mentioning this because some people told me that both Caribbean and African people can find it offensive at times if a non-native intentionally chooses to speak their way, instead of Standard Western English that they also are very familiar with. This log is being done because of learning purposes, and I do not intend at all to speak that way to anyone unless knowing that he both understands and likes my motivation for doing so, which is my appreciation for Many Things Africa and Many Things Caribbean.

Having said that, what still remains is a question that I haven't found its answer yet. This is about the forum activities. If I would be dropping some (easily understandable) elements of African/Afro-American/Caribbean English sometimes, just as I already have been doing it in the past sometimes before I realized that some could get me wrong, is this something that can be misunderstood even on a language forum?

This question only is about posts outside of this log. And it also only is about posts where I wouldn't include a short "disclaimer" of some type mentioning my motivation for speaking that way.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: SGP's African, Afro-American and Caribbean English Log

Postby SGP » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 pm

This log has been merged with my multi-language learning log.
This means that if there will be some futures updates,
the place I would post them would be there, not here.

The same applies to any possible replies of others to this thread.
However, in the case of a reply to this (now inactive) log,
I do intend to post a link in this thread which points to the multi-language log's new content.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Return to “Language logs”