All Things Communication [retired!]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Understanding implications part two

Postby SGP » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:27 am

Before continuing, I'd like those of you who don't know it yet that I imposed a Zero Bashing Policy on myself, and this didn't happen just on the day before yesterday. So... I would say the ability of persons with neurodiversity of understanding subtle implications would sometimes still lag behind the ability of those with neurodiversity.

Even after a rather lengthy learning process and deepening their studies of the topics that are called All Things Communication. Important note: in this context, as well as in some others, I am not talking about the log of that name at all! Instead, I am simply referring to topics like how to express oneself clearly, how to avoid at least some avoidable misunderstandings, how people from differect cultures might react to the very same thing, and so on.

And I also would say that the ability of persons with neurodiversity to know that something is a Very Literal Factual Statement only would sometimes be somewhat higher than the ability of neurotypical persons.

Außerdem: Ich bin, was eine Vielzahl der Lebensbereiche angeht, niemand, der gleich alles schwarz-weiß malen will. Es gibt mehrere Arten der Verallgemeinerung, die ich nicht als wirklich angebracht bezeichnen würde.

But then again, this is nothing purely black and white to me. I do realize that many things couldn't simply be generalized that easily.

As for persons with the Neurodiversal Brain Neuron Wiring, some use to say, "If you know one of them, you [only] know one of them". They mean that even if you precisely would know what the Neuron Wiring Effects on any particular person are, then you know their effects on him/her. But there are many, many others who differ from him/her. Although there also is a least common determiner. To me, the same saying also applies (although not in the very same way) to any person with the Neurotypical Brain Neuron Wiring. So once again, there is no need at all to over-generalize.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Language learning suggestions and questions

Postby SGP » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:40 am

Axon wrote:As I recall, you simply alluded that you had been working on it for a long time and learned it in close to the same way that you learned another language. While that does answer my question, I come away from it knowing nothing more about how I can study Arabic in the future.

When I wrote that answer to you in the (multi-language) log, to me, it did contain some hints as well. Although they weren't detailed either.

But do you remember that answer to your German Dialects Question?

SGP wrote:If the person who asked the question is able to assemble these puzzle pieces, possibly combining them with some more, to get a More Complete Partial Picture, it is Very Possible to re-ask the question based on the Partial Picture that already has become clear.

Also, I don't have any particular static upper limit for the same person asking questions in mind. I.e. I am not telling any of those for whom this log is intended to only ask one question a week or something like that.

For those who aren't named Axon :D: This previously was posted on the "Everything Else" Log (which was titled "Creative Juices" back then, but afterwards, its purpose changed to some extent). And as for "... those for whom this log is intented": when I wrote that post, I only was able to answer language-related questions coming from a not-so-big number of (specific) persons there. Because of something related to the creative juices. But not re-telling the same long story right now ;). Pages of the past.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 56#p122875
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: All Things Communication (previously titled: the language called communication)

Postby SGP » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am

Axon wrote:Of course you're not required to give me your language backstory whenever I ask for it. If you're not comfortable with that, you can say something like "Actually, I don't really like to talk about my learning history. I just did a lot of reading and listening over many years." This is non-specific but fully answers my question because that implication (Axon is looking for practical Arabic advice from SGP) has been addressed (SGP is not comfortable with giving that advice, which is totally fine).

I do thank you for mentioning (especially with that degree of clarity) how you may have perceived my answer. And while I have been on this forum for two months, you are among the few who use this approach of clarity with me, in addition to not doing it for the first time either. By the way, "among the few" is meant very literally :). I am not saying that nobody else did the same.

What aspects of learning Arabic are you interested in (if applicable)?

Now, some advice about posting: Link to or mention resources by name. A few weeks ago I wrote a totally unsolicited five or six paragraphs all about me and why I wanted to learn Polish. I like writing about myself, and I feel comfortable doing so in my own log and elsewhere on the forum.

As for linking to web sites, I don't feel like rushing in. There is a lot of valuable information out there, but also some potential pitfalls. I, personally, wouldn't want to directly link to some certain web sites that explain the 101 (basics) of several languages. Because they also have a commercial part. It is 1$ for the first month, but 19$ (if it didn't change) afterwards. And not everyone would read the fine print. There are some other sites, too, that do contain a lot of usual information. But they can sometimes include, for example, explicit wordplay and so on.

Especially if I haven't read the "whole web site" (and how could I do so if it is too big?), I wouldn't want rush in as if I was the Elephant in the Pottery Shop. Ever heard about him? "Der Elefant im Porzellanladen". A German figure of speech.

On the other hand, I have been doing something else for a short time. Like naming the SWA/JP songs I have been listening to. Or including a few Youtube videos (made by others) in the Music Language Log. I also have been feeling inclined, for a little while, to post more links to single YT videos about whatever linguae I currently am learning. Just waiting for the right ocassion to pop up.

But I know that many people (for some reason :lol: ) might not be as fascinated by myself as I am, and so at the bottom I linked to the Polish resources I was using.

Now why didn't you link to them at the top? Not everyone would skim through the entire post.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: All Things Communication (previously titled: the language called communication)

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm

This log has retired.

- It already did fulfill its purpose, and much more than that, too.

- If anyone would have anything to add to the already existing posts, I do intend to reply, too, whenever possible.

- All Things Communication doesn't equal Angewandte Kommunikation. That (German) log didn't retire at all. It is about applied communication, rather than the ATC theory and practice mix ;).

- In the end, I am very, very grateful for what happened after starting the ATC log. Gradually, More Advanced Communication Immersion and Exposure became a part of my personality that I couldn't remove that easily any more, even if I wanted to. The same does apply for using what I had been learning. It happens in a semi-automatic or even automatic intuitive way now. I wish that learning Spanish was that easy.
1 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”