Language Cooking [micro-learning #1]: Finnish, Russian, Turkish, (Mandarin) Chinese, Korean, Indonesian

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: Language Cooking [micro-learning #1]: Finnish, Russian, Turkish, (Mandarin) Chinese, Korean, Indonesian

Postby SGP » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:20 am

Korean:

Reminds me a bit of Japanese. But not in the way Italian reminds me of Spanish.

Those of you who know some Korean and Japanese, or who simply took a look at them:

Do those two remind you of each other?

If so, why?

If not, why not?
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Re: Language Cooking [micro-learning #1]: Finnish, Russian, Turkish, (Mandarin) Chinese, Korean, Indonesian

Postby devilyoudont » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:56 pm

SGP wrote:Korean:

Reminds me a bit of Japanese. But not in the way Italian reminds me of Spanish.

Those of you who know some Korean and Japanese, or who simply took a look at them:

Do those two remind you of each other?

If so, why?

If not, why not?

It's generally thought that Korean, Japanese, and perhaps Mongolian form a "sprachbund"

What this means is that the languages have evolved closer to one another due to interacting with one another over a long enough period. Older forms of the language are less similar than newer forms.

Japanese and Korean also share a huge amount of sino-vocabulary.
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:29 pm

devilyoudont wrote:It's generally thought that Korean, Japanese, and perhaps Mongolian form a "sprachbund"

What this means is that the languages have evolved closer to one another due to interacting with one another over a long enough period. Older forms of the language are less similar than newer forms.

Japanese and Korean also share a huge amount of sino-vocabulary.

Korean and Japanese for sure. As for Mongolian, perhaps it is related to them too.

And those two really did some massive Kanji/hanzi/... borrowings.

Also, do you know anything about Okinawa Japanese? (Not asking because of searching for information on it. But because it interests me if you, and others who learn Japanese, feel like getting to know it too, or not).
0 x

Log

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't really know much about okinawan--language or dialect. Personally, I am very unlikely to learn about Okinawan the language because it's predominately a spoken language, and it's not spoken around me. So even tho it would be fascinating to learn a language closely related to Japanese, it's not tremendously practical for me to do so. Otherwise, I have broadly familiarized myself with features of some major Japanese dialects, but am mainly concerned with learning standard dialect.
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:36 pm

devilyoudont wrote:I don't really know much about okinawan--language or dialect. Personally, I am very unlikely to learn about Okinawan the language because it's predominately a spoken language, and it's not spoken around me. So even tho it would be fascinating to learn a language closely related to Japanese, it's not tremendously practical for me to do so. Otherwise, I have broadly familiarized myself with features of some major Japanese dialects, but am mainly concerned with learning standard dialect.

About "standard dialect": if you simply mean Standard Japanese, then I do not have any further questions.
But in case you just used "dialect" for something that differs from the standard written and spoken language, that not-entirely-non-nosy-when-it-comes-to-languages [do you even use that many hyphens in English? ;)] person (i.e. myself) would like to know as well if there is something like a wide-spread dialect of Japanese that is used for conversational purposes? In the German-speaking areas of Switzerland, for example, people talk to each other using a dialect, while the Standard language cannot serve the same purpose for them.
0 x

Log

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: Finnish: cases

Postby tiia » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 am

I hope it's ok to make a few remarks here:
SGP wrote:maido: milk
kanssa: with
maidon kanssa: with milk

The basic form of maidon is maito with a t. The t becomes d in most of the cases due to an effect called consonant graduation.

SGP wrote:päivä: today
annos: dish (as in: a meal)
päivän annos: a dish of today, the dish of today, today's dish

I'd translate annos usually more as "portion", but indeed it is used also as "dish" in "dish of the day".

SGP wrote:sinua: For you. "you" on its own is sinä.

Do you have a context for this one? There might be some context where sinua means "for you". However, usually sinua is most likely just "you" when translating it into English.

Examples:
(Minä) rakastan sinua. - I love you.
Hän auttaa sinua. - He/She helps you.
Tämä pelottaa sinua. - This scares you. <-> Sinua pelottaa. - You are scared.
Kaikki mitä tein, tein vain sinua varten. - Everything I did, I did only for you.

The other way round "for you" has different translations in Finnish depending on the context etc.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: Finnish: cases

Postby SGP » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 am

tiia wrote:I hope it's ok to make a few remarks here:
Kiitoksia.

SGP wrote:maido: milk
kanssa: with
maidon kanssa: with milk
tiia wrote:The basic form of maidon is maito with a t. The t becomes d in most of the cases due to an effect called consonant graduation.
Good to know. I read a tiny tiny bit about the Consonant Shifting Phenomenon that also exists in some other languages. But still, it is rather new to me.

And as for "maido" without an N, when I looked up "maito" in a Finnish Case Table now, I realized being unable to find it. Is there still any possibility of it being said, even in a colloquial way and so on?

(By the way, just edited the original post related to both "maito" and what I mentioned below about "for you").

tiia wrote:
SGP wrote:päivä: today
annos: dish (as in: a meal)
päivän annos: a dish of today, the dish of today, today's dish

I'd translate annos usually more as "portion", but indeed it is used also as "dish" in "dish of the day".
Hmmm... portion, as in "a portion of a dish" even? Like when one cooks for several persons?

tiia wrote:
SGP wrote:sinua: For you. "you" on its own is sinä.

Do you have a context for this one? There might be some context where sinua means "for you". However, usually sinua is most likely just "you" when translating it into English.

The example I read did contain "sinua" as "for you", but not exactly in the way I thought.
After looking at it once again, it was about the (if I am not mistaken) partitive case of "sinä", which would be sinua.

But there was another word contributing to the "making the meaning "for you" effect" as well.

"sinua varten", this is it.

So the "-a" of "sinua" is an Assistant Worker. Because one can't just use "any" case ending for "every" effect.
But the Main Worker still is "varten", which means "for" in this case.

tiia wrote:Examples:
(Minä) rakastan sinua. - I love you.
Hän auttaa sinua. - He/She helps you.
Tämä pelottaa sinua. - This scares you. <-> Sinua pelottaa. - You are scared.
Kaikki mitä tein, tein vain sinua varten. - Everything I did, I did only for you.

The other way round "for you" has different translations in Finnish depending on the context etc.
Here it is "you" of course, yes. The "you" I was thinking of when speaking of "sinä" was the subject "you", as opposed to the "object" you. But this also is a useful reminder of (myself) paying even more attention to trying to state whether I mean the subject or the object.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:34 pm

This log has been merged with my multi-language learning log.
This means that if there will be some futures updates,
the place I would post them would be there, not here.

The same applies to any possible replies of others to this thread.
However, in the case of a reply to this (now inactive) log,
I do intend to post a link in this thread which points to the multi-language log's new content.
0 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”