journey to polyglot

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jacquemarie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 28#p177252

Re: journey to polyglot

Postby jacquemarie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 pm

https://bonvoyagefrancais.wordpress.com/

i created a blog today. Hopefully this will improve my vocabulary and grammar to post in every day.
1 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:18 pm

jacquemarie wrote:https://bonvoyagefrancais.wordpress.com/

i created a blog today. Hopefully this will improve my vocabulary and grammar to post in every day.
https://bonvoyagefrancais.wordpress . com/ wrote:S’il vous plaît, corriger mes erreurs.
Because you said so, I'd like to make some annotations. I think it would fit in much better in the forum, rather than in your blog's comments. Also, one couldn't use any colors or formatted text there.

As for my French level, it is included in the list of languages in the profile. It is especially about the level that comes after the slash ( / ). That one is the maximum reading ability.

And as for any corrections I would make in any language, the following applies:
Whatever words or phrases I wouldn't comment on, I am neither explicitly saying that they are wrong, nor that they are right. Instead, it is about being silent only ;). I have got various reasons for doing so. So even if I quote several sentences and make some corrections I am certain about, I am not commenting on anything else. Like the sentence's structure, or some other very minor mistakes, or something else that I am not sure about because not having a C2 level, or because of any other reason.

Je suis Jacque et j’apprends le français depuis deux mois. J’espère améliorer mon français en écrivent. S’il vous plaît, corriger mes erreurs.
écrivent is the Subjonctif (Présent) of écrire (ils/elles).
Two phrases meaning "by writing / in a written way":
- par écrit
- sous forme écrite

Once again: Whenever I would make some corrections or suggestions like these, they are meant as (valid) building blocks only. But I speak about those words and phrases in isolation only. Like explaining the function of a Lego / Duplo building block, but without adding too many details on how it can be combined with other blocks. So that doesn't necessarily (= automatically) mean that you simply could exchange "en écrivent" by any of those two for making a Very Standard French Sentence. But it is about at least getting closer to a desired goal. You could, for example, look those phrases up in a reliable grammar resource.

corriger is the Infinitif. In case you would like to use the Imperatif for "vous", it is corrigez.

Aujourd’hui, (fait amusant: c’est mon mot français préférés) je suie allé à l’animalerie por litière pour chats. J’ai tois chats!
Preferred: préféré (M), préférée (F).

"suie" -> suis. "Je suis allé" is the Passé composé. As for what particular past tense is the most suitable for your purposes, this is beyond me ;). I am still learning about the various French and Spanish verb tenses and their exact uses. But in case you already learned that aspect of French very well, you could simply stick to what you learned.

Three? Trois.

Why exactly is "aujourd'hui" your favorite French word?

"le chat" means:
(1) tomcat
(2) cat in general

If you would any day be looking for the Female Feline Only Word, it is la chatte.

By the way, in German, they do it the other way around. "Katze" (F) means:
(1) female cat
(2) cat in general

And the male only word is Kater.

"Égualmente" -> this reminds me of (ES) igualmente. But in French it would be également.
My gut feeling would tell that something like "J’ai un chien aussi" could be even better.

Duex de mes chats a 3 ans et l’autre a 6 mois. Mon chien a presque duex ans. Après l’animalerie, je suis allé à la maison. Là, j’ai étudié le français por duex heures. Je dois travailler à quatre heures de l’après-midi.

Merci et a bientôt!
Two? Deux.

"por": pour (or also par). But again, it is about the building block only. I didn't look up the phrase "for ... hours" in French right now.

"a bientôt" -> à bientôt.
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

jacquemarie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 28#p177252

Postby jacquemarie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:10 am

Firstly, merci beaucoup! I appreciate any help you can give. Sometimes, other learners can be the best help you can receive.

SGP wrote:écrivent is the Subjonctif (Présent) of écrire (ils/elles).
Two phrases meaning "by writing / in a written way":
- par écrit
- sous forme écrite

Thank you! Conjugating can be so confusing. I understand the forms but sometimes they stick in my brain weird, like how "écrivent" was just writing to me instead of they are writing. I will have to more carefully study this. Thank you for the phrases; they will surely come in handy!

corriger is the Infinitif. In case you would like to use the Imperatif for "vous", it is corrigez.

Ugh, conjugating. Thanks for pointing this out!

Preferred: préféré (M), préférée (F).

Thank you! I didn't realise this was a M/F word. (silly me, of course it is).

Why exactly is "aujourd'hui" your favorite French word?

I like the way it sounds. I'm obsessed with how it sounds.... and I like the way it looks too. Not sure why.

"le chat" means:
(1) tomcat
(2) cat in general

If you would any day be looking for the Female Feline Only Word, it is la chatte.

I should have actually used the female version as i only have female cats, i forgot once again, M/F. Genders are crap (jkjk).

By the way, in German, they do it the other way around. "Katze" (F) means:
(1) female cat
(2) cat in general

And the male only word is Kater.

Too neat! I studied German for a little but it was so long ago I don't remember.

"Égualmente" -> this reminds me of (ES) igualmente. But in French it would be également.
My gut feeling would tell that something like "J’ai un chien aussi" [i]could
be even better.

the fact that i studied spanish/italian previously worked against me here, as I'm sure I mashed up the two languages.

"por": pour (or also par). But again, it is about the building block only. I didn't look up the phrase "for ... hours" in French right now.

"a bientôt" -> à bientôt.

Merci!

Overall, I don't think I did too bad for my first time attempting stuff from memory, only stopping to look up a couple things. Thank you for all the corrections and advice, and hopefully the next post won't have so many little errors (especially the typos, deux, trois, suis)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”