SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 261

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Russian: Donkey Kong Country 2 pt. 3 (final part).

RU reminds me a bit of JP. Because JP, too, was a bit exhausting, and this was a few days ago. Spanish would be easier, but... whatever. Not writing any notes in this post, but colorizing or highlighting some words only.

Source: --> pre-previous post

Как и прежде , можно играть одному, вдвоём в команде или вдвоём друг против друга. Игрок идёт по уровню, сражаясь с врагами, собирая бонусы и находя спрятанные бонус- уровни .

Теперь герои могут запрыгивать друг на друга, чтобы совершать командные броски. Они нужны, чтобы залезать на недоступные высоты или «убивать» врагов, которых нельзя «убить» в одиночку.

Бонус-уровни существенно изменены. Теперь игрок должен за отведённое время достать Крем-монету (Kremkoin). Для этого нужно либо собрать все звёзды, либо уничтожить всех врагов , либо просто дойти до финиша бонус-уровня. Всего в игре 75 бонус-уровней.
1 x
SGP originally stood for SomewhatGeekyPolyglot / Somewhat Geeky Polyglot, nowadays it simply stands for SGP.

Any 2-digit # of lang. in rotation - Multi-language log about music, art, foods, ...


User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 261

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 pm

0 x
SGP originally stood for SomewhatGeekyPolyglot / Somewhat Geeky Polyglot, nowadays it simply stands for SGP.

Any 2-digit # of lang. in rotation - Multi-language log about music, art, foods, ...


Online
User avatar
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3342
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:54 am
Location: Moskova
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants
x 4473
Contact:

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby Serpent » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:28 am

SGP wrote:немецкий: German; and possibly Dutch, too.
No, only German. In a modern context you can also find германский, which means Germanic to a linguist, but which is replacing немецкий. (it's still used for the language)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 261

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 am

Serpent wrote:
SGP wrote:немецкий: German; and possibly Dutch, too.
No, only German. In a modern context you can also find германский, which means Germanic to a linguist, but which is replacing немецкий. (it's still used for the language)

When I looked up this single word (немецкий) on Google Translate, it stated that its second meaning really would be Dutch. But that sounded a bit unusual even to a RU and PL beginner like me. Because of that, I wrote "possibly". I am aware of the limitations of Google Translate, especially when it comes to full sentences. And by the way, even in that online dictionary, "the second meaning of немецкий, which would be Dutch" is called a low frequency word.
0 x
SGP originally stood for SomewhatGeekyPolyglot / Somewhat Geeky Polyglot, nowadays it simply stands for SGP.

Any 2-digit # of lang. in rotation - Multi-language log about music, art, foods, ...


Online
User avatar
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3342
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:54 am
Location: Moskova
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants
x 4473
Contact:

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby Serpent » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 am

I just saw these:
молоко́ [plural only]: milk

хло́пья [plural only]: flakes

хло́пья сне́га: [plural only] snow flakes
A snowflake is a снежинка, and it does have a singular form. Хлопья снега are larger and more messy. This is what came up in an image search:
Image
Дождь прошёл: the rain has stopped
Perhaps it's too early to bring this up, but this can also mean [look,] it has rained. Ie in a context where you didn't know about the rain but then saw evidence of it. For example when you wake up and realize it has rained during the night (but not anymore). In this meaning it's more natural to say [Ночью] прошёл дождь, though.
тост M: toast
Toasters aren't common in Russia unfortunately :( (and if you do have toast for breakfast you can also call it гренки pl)
It's much more common in the meaning like brindar in Spanish/Portuguese.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 261

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby SGP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:42 am

All languages: A Word Exploration Notebook Entry has been written because of personal language practice and another purpose, too. That one is doing a visual explanation of that method for this forum. It can be found at the end of this post. And yes, it was about (basically) two languages only. But nevermind. The very same principles can be applied to others as well. And they even did apply to some others on my learning list as well when this notebook entry was being written. Because, as strange as it may sound, from a certain perspective, I treat all languages as a single one only. Intentionally not explaining it any further at this point, but whoever would like to ask about that definitely can do so.

Jamaican Patois: Practicing its sounds by singing, especially the vowels. Paying attention to their details, too.

Swahili: Spaced repetition without paper, audios, videos or files. In other words: Thinking of what I already have learned, then building upon it. Like making some more sentences on my own, based on the known Swahili Sentence Patterns.

Romanian: A very few new phrases only. However, I told more than one person who is a native of Romanian that I'd prefer to converse in RO rather than DE from now on. By the way, they weren't able to learn a lot of German yet. But on the other hand, there was a bit of a surprise. Because both of them do know more IT and ES than I expected.

Dutch: Some real-world speaking practice by talking to persons from the Nederlands face to face.

Connecting languages to some other subjects (which also could be called languages using the broader definition): Some interesting progress, I'd say. But it still needs a bit of fleshing out. #ForTheRecord

Russian and Spanish: Word exploration. Spaced repetition. Connecting Visual Arts to them as well. Cyrillic writing practice.
Attachments
RussianSpanishNotes.jpg
RussianSpanishNotes.jpg (122.44 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Last edited by SGP on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

David1917
Green Belt
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 am
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Persian, German, French, Old English, Hindi, Arabic, Cornish
x 808

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby David1917 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Is there any particular reason you're exploring Russian and Spanish together comparatively?

What is the method of your personal SRS? Do the different green dot sizes represent anything?

Finally a tip - I noticed your entry for фрукты accidentally says фрукту - perhaps because the transliteration uses frukty. So you'll definitely want to fix that before repeating it.
2 x

User avatar
SGP
Blue Belt
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230
x 261

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby SGP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:23 pm

David1917 wrote:Is there any particular reason you're exploring Russian and Spanish together comparatively?
It is because I am very interested in:
- going beyond pre-A1 Russian, and also reaching a B or even C level any time later
- coming closer to very advanced Spanish understanding and fluency
What is the method of your personal SRS?
Basically, it is all about what I call "On Demand Learning". Whenever there is a sufficient reason for me to continue learning any language or to revise it, I do so. Otherwise I don't do it at all ;). That pause could last a few hours only, one day, or even longer.
Do the different green dot sizes represent anything?
Yes they do. Whenever I was able to recall a word, but not that easily, I would draw a small dot. And whenever it was very easy, I would draw a really big one.
Finally a tip - I noticed your entry for фрукты accidentally says фрукту - perhaps because the transliteration uses frukty. So you'll definitely want to fix that before repeating it.
Thank you for pointing it out. I should have written фрукты, but I somehow managed to write an "|" (...) instead of an "у". So the result was a combination of letters that doesn't even exist in Russian, as far as I know. Just edited the notebook entry as well as its electronic counterpart.

On this occasion, I'd like to reply to your other notebook questions as well (that you asked @ The Lab).
David1917 wrote:As for techniques, let's hear more about your dot/vertical bar method. I've seen a picture you posted of one of your notebooks, but what timelines do you use?
Well, that picture you have seen wasn't really a notebook entry.
I drew it because a member asked me if I have any ideas on how to interlink arts and vocabulary learning.

Apart from that... the timeline I use also is all about On Demand Learning. For example, all these Russian/Spanish revisions indicated on the recent notebook page in this thread happened within approx. two days.
How many dots/lines until you're "done"?
This greatly depends on several factors, including these:
- how familiar I already am with that particular language or that area of Word Knowledge
- how far I want to advance in that particular case
- etc.
What do you do if the sentence is utterly incomprehensible? Do you still put a line/dot?
Well, I do not even consider writing down a sentence that I do not understand.
How to differentiate the usefulness of each repetition?
I don't think too much of things like these. To me, it simply is important if there was some measurable progress or not. If there was one, no matter if small or big, I would draw one dot at least, sometimes even more.
0 x
SGP originally stood for SomewhatGeekyPolyglot / Somewhat Geeky Polyglot, nowadays it simply stands for SGP.

Any 2-digit # of lang. in rotation - Multi-language log about music, art, foods, ...


Online
User avatar
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3342
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:54 am
Location: Moskova
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants
x 4473
Contact:

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:24 pm

if you use this transliteration, сладкий should be written as slatkij.
also, in most of your examples j isn't pronounced at all, it just softens the previous consonant.

your й would look confusing to a native speaker (using one dot or a straight line would be fine)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

David1917
Green Belt
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 am
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Persian, German, French, Old English, Hindi, Arabic, Cornish
x 808

Re: SGP's Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation log

Postby David1917 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:31 am

SGP wrote:
David1917 wrote:Is there any particular reason you're exploring Russian and Spanish together comparatively?
It is because I am very interested in:
- going beyond pre-A1 Russian, and also reaching a B or even C level any time later
- coming closer to very advanced Spanish understanding and fluency


I don't see how these goals are working together in this format, though. If you were "laddering" as they say - using Spanish to learn Russian, then I would expect to see your page using Spanish definitions and transliterations. As it is right now - on the page there are English translations, German transliterations, and the occasional Spanish analogue. I'm certain you have a system, I just can't figure out what it is yet!

If I understand your point in treating "all languages as a single one only" to mean that they can all be compared with one another, and that by learning multiple languages you learn more about "Language" and how people around the world express themselves; and especially in the context of Indo-European I can see why comparing Russian to Spanish might be interesting.

What do you do if the sentence is utterly incomprehensible? Do you still put a line/dot?
Well, I do not even consider writing down a sentence that I do not understand.


On the repetition, I mean. Anki, GoldList, & Iversen all have something built in that states what you do in the case that you see a word and cannot remember its meaning; or a sentence and cannot remember its constituent parts or odd construction pattern (in Russian for example you might learn all of the prefixes to давать, дать in one sitting but on review mix them up). If you look at your list of Russian words next week and you have фрукты, сладкий, сахар, море, масло all down cold, but волна eludes you, do you put a dot - a smaller one?

I ask because I find that I'm reaching vocabulary plateaus and struggling to find a system that works for me. I hate Anki, The GoldList is overly obtuse to me, and I have (so far) had minimal success with Iversen's style of wordlists. So I'd like to see about adapting some of your tips to my own work.
0 x


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wynnsam and 2 guests