"SGP's" gradually learning some languages log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: 13 languages in rotation [JP ES SWA FR toki pona NL NO PT IT RO SV DA EO AF], others being micro-learned

Postby SGP » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:21 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:
SGP wrote:- Decoding some grammar: "densha o ari-mas": "train - [o particle] - leave".

Something's off here. "Arimasu" doesn't mean "to leave", it means "to be" (as in "to exist/be somewhere", not "to be something"). If the phrase is supposed to mean "to leave the train" the verb need to be different, and if it's meant to say "the train leaves" both the particle and the verb need to be changed.

True, useful input. There was a typo. Revised the source I was reading, and it states that it is ori-mas(u). Base form oriru. Edited the previous post.

Something else: Originally I tried to write "ari-mas [ u ]", but without the extra spaces. That "u" is unpronounced, but still included in the "su" Hiragana. Now I noticed that I couldn't do it like this in a forum's post. It interferes with the Underline Tag. So normal braces are the way to go :).
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: 13 languages being learned in rotation [PT IT RO FR ES SV NO DA SWA JP EO NL AF], and others being micro-learned

Postby SGP » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:13 am

- Changed the title (13 -> 14) because of toki pona.
Not counting EN-AFR/EN-CAR, although deepening now, because it is a flavor of a C2 language.
Also not counting LAT and AR, because of not learning it.

[LAT: because it currently doesn't play a role in my personal life. AR: because of what I mentioned elsewhere about it and EN]

- "All Things Communication" update (related to this log, too):
SGP wrote:This log still is of great importance to me.
Nevertheless, there are two changes now:

- It no longer is my main project, but one of my two major ones on LLorg.
- It still is in "no output without input" mode. However, I now am extending that "input" part :). Now it also includes any current personal impressions/experiences/... of myself that are important enough to be covered.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: 14 languages in rotation [JP ES FR SWA toki pona NL SV IT PT RO NO DA AF EO ]; others being micro-learned

Postby SGP » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Because of not using FB, I had been (sort of) mentally fading out any like button up to now.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: 14 languages in rotation [JP ES FR SWA toki pona NL SV IT PT RO NO DA AF EO ]; others being micro-learned

Postby SGP » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:44 pm

JP: "densha" is (mainly?) used for electric trains.
It contains the "den-" affix, just like "denshion" (electronical / synthesized sound).
The other train is ressha.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm

FR:
SGP wrote:This still keeps me puzzling about spoken French. It isn't sufficient to be able to understand Standard Spoken Textbook French. There also is the need of, afterwards, learning which letters would be eaten and which would be spared.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 pm

@two of my logs (this one and All Things Communication): I still do like you very much. But I recently removed that "main project" status from one of you (A.T.C.). Now going as far as even removing the "Major Project Special Status" from both of you. Because of more than one reason. Only telling you one. Some other logs could need some more attention, too.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:50 am

Swahili, Japanese:

There are four songs I have been repeatedly listening to these days.
This was (and still is) sort of a comprehension exercise. It doesn't mean that I relate to everything they sing about. Also, it doesn't mean that I would be a big fan of their videos or anything like that. But as we know, one could listen to something without watching them. As for the first JP song in particular, it has been covered too many times anyway (so the videos greatly differ).

Kigeugeu by Jaguar
Thamani by Ice Boy and Barakah Da Prince
Happy synthesizer [JP original] and Skip Sequence Music by EasyPop
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Very incredibly happy to be able to tell you that there was a significant learning process directional change. Because of that, I really had to edit the title, too. Now nothing but this one does fit the log's new purpose:

Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation

I am not even thinking of inserting any particular number, because it could be more or also less any time. Switching my learning approach to "on demand", which means learning or micro-learning whatever language/s I currently "need" the most in my life. This could be putting the main focus on Spanish or French for some days in a row, or learning a few phrases in a multitude of different idiomas, including (for example) Hausa, Slovene, Bengali and maybe even Faroese or any native American one. You get the picture, I guess :).
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: Any two-digit number of languages being learned or micro-learned in rotation

Postby SGP » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 am

Language: Any African/Caribbean way of speaking English

Tried to find any graphics or any video about the Places of (Sound) Articulation, but wasn't able to do so.

One solution would be to read about that flavor's IPA letters, then to refer to some graphics/videos explaining how to make those particular sounds.

If there is anything pronunciation related that cannot be expressed by IPA, I would also like to know it.

I wouldn't speak English in any African/Caribbean way without verifying first that whoever I talk to understands my motivation (explained elsewhere on this forum a long time ago). Also, I have been talking to more than just one or two persons that way anyway (but only after themselves knowing my reasons). If my pronunciation would be more native-like, maybe it would be even easier to know that there isn't even the slightest thought of mockery involved.

(More details about my usage of African English, with some Caribbean elements as well, were recently mentioned in the German log called "Angewandte Kommunikation".)
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:51 pm

Jamaican Patois: Something about phonology/phonetics.

Sinhala (-> Sri Lanka): Learned a few basic phrases. And read some Language Structure Background Information, as well as something about the grammar.

Plattdeutsch: A few phrases, and revising Dutch.

A certain African tonal language: A few words and phrases. Not naming it right now, because I may or may not continue. Right now, it was more of a proof of concept. Set a deadline for myself, a very tight one even (approx. one hour). Revised them a few times within that timeframe. Recalling most of these (very few) phrases was possible without looking at the notes again. #TonesAreEasyTheyExistInEnglishToo #HighLowAndMidTonesAreEspeciallyEasy
0 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”