"SGP's" gradually learning some languages log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: 13 languages being learned in rotation [PT IT RO FR ES SV NO DA SWA JP EO NL AF], and others being micro-learned

Postby SGP » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:46 pm

After having merged most previous logs with the multi-language one, now there is a new side-quest only log. However, I would like to add that this log is a bit unique :). But as soon as those who are able to provide some input (and they aren't too many) start doing so, there could be some interesting output for everyone reading it:

SGP's Creative Juices Language Question and Answer Research Log
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Intro & 13 languages (mostly reading/writing) log & language exchange offer [PT IT RO FR ES SV NO DA SWA JP EO NL AF

Postby Serpent » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 pm

SGP wrote:Comparing Spanish and Portuguese:

"Naturalmente.
Com certeza."

"Una ración de patatas fritas con ketchup.
Uma dose de batatas fritas com ketchup."
Hi, I just saw this. You can also say "con certeza" in Spanish and "naturalmente" in Portuguese, this isn't a clear-cut difference like the rest of your list.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: 13 languages being learned in rotation [PT IT RO FR ES SV NO DA SWA JP EO NL AF], and others being micro-learned

Postby SGP » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:13 am

There are two recent changes related to the Creative Juices log:

- From now on, asking questions in Japanese is possible, too. However, if one (of those who are intended by the log as explained there) decides to do so, it still can be of help to use very basic words.

- From now on, it also is for languages with not too many easily accessible resources available, like Cherokee and Inuktitut. One should just keep in mind that speaking of those, especially very advanced questions wouldn't be always possible to answer due to the lack of sources that are sufficient and reliable. Having said that, asking questions about them still is Very Possible from now on.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 am

Taking the creative juices log to the next level:

From now on, PM questions and feedback can be sent by everyone on the forum (it used to be somehow different ;) because of something related to the creative juices of mine).

SGP's/SomewhatGeekyPolyglot's Creative Juices Language Question and Answer Research Log
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:06 am

Why I didn't include Latin and (Standard) Arabic in my profile's list of languages up to now

There are two languages that I didn't include in my profile's list up to now, even if I already learned them in the past. They are Latin and Arabic.

As for Latin, I had been learning it for a few years a long time ago. And while it really helped with all of these five Romance linguae (ES, FR, IT, PT, RO), I am not actively able to use that Retro Italian :), in addition to my level of understanding written Latin also being below my level of understanding written Spanish and French.

And as for (Standard) Arabic, well, it is my second non-native C2 language even. This means that I am very grateful for already having reached that level a long, long time ago. But it is C2 according to my point of view, some others possibly wouldn't agree because I do not know some "jargon-esque" terms related to, for example, cooking, baking and carpentry :). However, the same also applies, although to a lesser degree, to English.

To me, not explicitly mentioning a language in the profile's list greatly differs from denying knowing it. In my point of view, simply not including it isn't a lie or anything like that, but just being silent on whether one knows it or not. In addition, the browser's window clearly states that we are here, i.e. in one particular forum. And within that framework, the language list being shown is, first and foremost, a language list related to one's activities in a particular forum. At least up to know, neither Latin nor Arabic were really related to my forum activities. However, I do feel like adding them to my list now for the Maximum Possible Degree of Transparency.

I could also add ancient Greek, but I only had been learning it for a rather short time, also, I forgot most of it.
0 x

Log

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:51 am

Wow, C2 in Arabic is quite an accomplishment! I'm thinking of dabbling in Arabic in the upcoming months, spurred on no doubt by the recent uptick in Arabic interest around the forum.

How did you go about learning it?
1 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:59 am

Axon wrote:Wow, C2 in Arabic is quite an accomplishment! I'm thinking of dabbling in Arabic in the upcoming months, spurred on no doubt by the recent uptick in Arabic interest around the forum.

How did you go about learning it?

It was a very long journey that started in my youth (my current age is thirty-something).
And it was a step-by-step learning process that really did take some time. I, well, have been learning Arabic for many years. However, while I cannot express myself in it too directly when speaking about, for example, cooking and carpentry :), I did the same thing I also did speaking of English (my first C2 language). This means continuing to learn it only by using it (no matter if passively or actively), like looking up a few words, or getting to know others by context.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:56 pm

- FR: Using it for short written conversations. The words started flowing more easily. Also reading an (advanced) phrasebook.

- ES: Doing some minor thinking in Spanish practice. Also reading an (advanced) phrasebook, like FR.

- JP: Using it in some mixed-language written conversations. JP to non-JP sentence ratio: maybe 20% : 80%. Writing in Romaji. Hiragana/Katakana: not actively learning, but familiarizing myself more with them. Looking up phrases when needed for writing.

- toki pona: Started re-learning it. Reactivating the old knowledge wasn't too difficult.

- FI, PL: Reading a bit about the culture and history of their countries.

- EN-CAR: Deepening by the means of exposure.

- IT: Started a non-major thinking process to deepen it a bit more soon.

- PT, EO, SV/DA/NO: Queued, neither learning nor micro-learning for now.

- SWA: Semi-queued right now, but I find myself returning to it mentally "too often" :).

- NL: Did some small but nevertheless non-minor revisions for preparing myself to use it when communicating with some Plattdeutsch speakers.

- AF: Currently deepening it a bit by NL only.

- Slavic languages (PL, CZ, RU): minor steps of familiarization.

- TR: Some very minor steps.

- All of those languages: Still sticking to my "old" method that doesn't include rote memorization. However, started to write down notes once again.

- The language called communication: Actively practicing Brevity Without Loss of Important Information - simply loving that feeling :).

- Interlinking the knowledge about languages and plants: Revisions, preparations, some steps of additional familiarization.

- Interlinking languages, communication and music (which is a language in the broader sense to me): this is what my Soundcloud activities are about, the tracks speak for themselves, I'd say.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:01 am

Just added this notice to the beginning of my two logs (i.e. this one and "the language called communication").

Also, I started this thread before I rationally learned how to always use brevity instead of non-necessary verbosity. Wasn't able to do it in a purely intuitive way before.

Even before that event, there was a number of brevity posts.

The Brevity Only part starts here: [...]

I think that even the very verbose posts do contain some useful information, too. But you have been warned :D.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 am

JP:
- Not writing in Romaji any more.
- Started using pure Japanese for written conversations.
- Still a Kanji beginner.

toki pona:
- A little bit of Immersion and Exposure Spaced Revision (without flashcards/etc.)

French:
- Mindset-related activities, without any other practice since the last post.

Spanish:
- The same, but more.

Music:
- Increasingly using it as a means of communication. Story-telling. Example: a ten minute harpsichord solo.

Botany:
- Started a multi-language log about learning it like learning new vocabulary. (Without rote memorization). But not posting unless knowing that it is on-topic for "everyone" :). There is a major Languages Related Aspect, or more than one even.

The Language Called Communication:
- Very, very grateful for more and more dots being connected. Knots being untied. Marvelous.
- A subject of life-long learning for everyone.
1 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”