Spoon's Space for Spanish, 'speranto and... Italian [2015]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: Spoon's Space for Spanish, 'speranto and... Italian [2015]

Postby arthaey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Spoonary wrote:[El tiempo entre costuras is] brilliant. :) Seriously, I can't fault it at all. The setting was really well done and it's great to actually see images of the settings I sometimes struggled to picture while reading. As I can't often sit down and watch an hour and half of video in peace, I won't be finishing the series any time soon so stay tuned for more updates!

How would you compare it to the book? I found her naïveté too much, and her role as a protagonist that simply reacted to things (rather than being more proactive) too off-putting to continue reading the book. Is that the case in the series too? I want to like this story, because I like historical fiction, but I also like characters with agency, so.... ;)

Based on this amusing (and spoiler-y) list of Things I Have Yelled At My Television, Which Cannot Hear Me, While Watching The Time In Between, I'm thinking the same things will still bug me... But maybe it's visually cool enough as a historical drama that I'd enjoy it in TV format where I couldn't quite get into it in book format?

Hmm.
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 pm

arthaey wrote:How would you compare it to the book? I found her naïveté too much, and her role as a protagonist that simply reacted to things (rather than being more proactive) too off-putting to continue reading the book. Is that the case in the series too? I want to like this story, because I like historical fiction, but I also like characters with agency, so.... ;)

First, my memory is terrible, so the details of the book (and the episode I watched, even though it was literally yesterday :oops:) are hazy, so bear with me.

All of the things on that list happen in the first episode, and that covers the majority of face-palm-worthy events from the book, as far as I remember, so I guess if you can get through the first episode, you'll be ok... On the other hand, Sira doesn't really become truly independent until the last... third of the book and yeah, she's a bit of a mannequin for others to pose until then so maybe you won't like it... :?

arthaey wrote:I'm thinking the same things will still bug me... But maybe it's visually cool enough as a historical drama that I'd enjoy it in TV format where I couldn't quite get into it in book format?

You know, I think you have hit the nail on the head there. I say leave the book alone and give the series a go. It is all (obviously) so much easier to digest in the visual format, rather than trudging through Dueñas' dense descriptions, so even though you didn't like the book, you may be able to forgive Sira for her "naïveté" and enjoy the show. :)
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:18 pm

A week later than expected, I finally heard back (on Monday) about that amazing job I applied for, and it was bad news. Apparently it was a very close decision between myself and the successful candidate, and the deciding factor was that s/he had actual experience in HR in Spain. I don't suppose I can complain too much about that, but I have still been feeling a bit down this week and have done next to nothing as a result.

Today I applied for a few more jobs which are nowhere near as appealing as that one was, but when needs must/life goes on etc. :roll:

Quick updates:
1. My reading of Apocalipsis Z has slowed down but I should be devouring a fair chunk of it tonight as I don't have anything else planned so we'll see how that goes.

2. I have started doing daily 10 minute recordings of self talk in Spanish, to prepare myself for the start of the 2016 Output Challenge. The first one went well but this morning was rough. I couldn't get the words from my brain to my mouth quickly enough and I just don't have the fluency I once had. I am also noting quite a bit of Italian interference, by which I mean my brain likes to offer me Italian language chunks and keep the Spanish ones which used to come to me so easily to itself :oops: I kind of knew this would happen. I am just hoping that increasing my rate of output in both languages (which up to now has been almost non-existent) will help me squash them into their own compartments in my brain.

3. I have been chatting a bit in Italian in one of the Tumblr kik language chats. For the longest time, the place was practically dead, but just recently, there have been about 4 of us who chat regularly there. I much prefer group chats to the one-on-one "pressure fests" that HelloTalk provides (although I don't deny that HelloTalk is a brilliant tool) so I'm having fun with it.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:58 pm

Bad luck on the job front @Spoonary, and better luck next time.
However, things often turn out "all right in the end", and the job you do end up getting and taking might turn out to be much better after all!

¡buena suerte!
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Sorry to hear about the job, Spoon. I agree with Montmorency, brighter days are in your future :) I believe that.
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:15 am

Sorry to hear about the job, it sounds like the typical case of "you were great but somebody else was even better", I've had that a few times. Good luck with future opportunities.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks guys. I'm trying to be positive about the whole thing; to look at it as an experience and an opportunity to improve my interview technique etc. for next time. Onwards and upwards, as they say. 8-)

Edit: I have just noticed that myself, garyb and iguanamon have all written 274 posts each, but iguanamon has 812 "likes" (hearts), garyb has 591 and I have a meagre 260. You can certainly tell who writes the most interesting/useful posts :lol:
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:13 pm

A big hug from me too ;)
Hehe I have way more posts than iguanamon and a bit fewer likes :mrgreen: Doesn't bother me ;)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks Serpent! :)

I have decided that I want to try out a slightly more focussed approach to language maintenance this week and, as such, I am setting myself a few goals for the week commencing 14/12/2015:

1) Finish reading Apocalipsis Z - I plan on doing this today anyway, but it may carry on into tomorrow if I get distracted.

2) Do daily 10 minute Spanish recordings - I didn't do any over the weekend :oops: so today I want to get back on track.

3) Watch at least one episode of El tiempo entre costuras/Lalola - I want to incorporate more regular "mature/standard" entertainment into my language input. Youtube is great for slang and swearing, but I feel I need to focus on more interactions between adults, in order to sound like one myself when I write/speak. :| In the future, I'll be adding more documentary-style stuff, as well as more films and series, but for now this will do.

4) Write at least 350 words - The Output Challenge is starting pretty soon and I am completely out of the habit of writing anything but short messages on here (in Spanish) so I'm starting off small with ~50 words per day.

As you can see, there is a definite Spanish bias here. This is because I feel I need to focus more on Spanish right now as I am slowly losing my touch with the language. I just don't feel as comfortable/confident as I once did in Spanish and I really want that feeling back. I am not abandoning Italian, by any means (indeed, I am listening to Italian music while I write this), but it definitely needs to take a back seat, at least for a while.
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:32 pm

I was going to wait until the end of the week to write about how I'm getting on with the goals I set myself on Monday but I already have a lot to update about and I'm not even sure I'll have time on Sunday/Monday so here's a progress update.

Goal #1 - Finish reading Apocalipsis Z
Complete! I finished the first book in the series on Tuesday and wrote my opinion (in Spanish) in the Apocalipsis Z thread.
Spoonary wrote:Pues ya está. Hoy terminé Apocalipsis Z (bueno, el primer libro de la trilogía). Tengo que decir que en general me gustó, aunque quizá este primera entrega sea un poco demasiado larga. Yo creo que con el estilo diario que tiene, funcionaría mejor como una serie de libros cortitos, que se leyesen rápido sin llegar a cansar.

A pesar de todo eso, la historia me entretuvo y me ha dejado con ganas de más. Me pondré con la secuela ya en enero. :)

Basically, I enjoyed the story but I think it would have worked better as 2 or 3 shorter, bite-sized books. That said, I will definitely be reading the two sequels in the new year.

Goal #2 - Do daily 10 minute Spanish recordings
Monday - Check! Tuesday - Check! Wednesday - I went to the language café after a month and a half of not going (the last time I said I was going, I didn't) and had a great time. I met a girl from the Basque Country and had a lovely chat with her. Once again, she was surprised by how well I spoke Spanish and that I was able to understand her, even when she spoke quickly (and boy did she speak quickly :shock:). She specifically complemented me on my pure vowels and alveolar consonants. :D (I hope the linguistic vocabulary is correct here). I haven't done today's recording yet but I will be doing so when I can.

Goal #3 - Watch at least one episode of El tiempo entre costuras/Lalola
I watched an episode of both, so that's a double check for me! The second episode of El tiempo entre costuras was brilliant, but I think they changed one of the important details of the plot (if I remember correctly). SPOILERS! I'm pretty sure that, in the book, it was Candelaria that had the guns stashed away, and I definitely don't remember any creepy guy with glasses having anything to do with them/any false passport. END OF SPOILERS Also, a lot happens in one episode. Comparing the amount of time it took me to read about these events and how much fits into one ~90 minute episode is actually quite amusing to me :) Meanwhile, Lalola is as Argentinian and ridiculous as always, but despite it getting a tad repetitive at times, I don't want to stop watching it!

Goal #4 - Write at least 350 words
Yeah, the less said about this one, the better. I have written a few posts on this forum in Spanish, but I didn't want to count those. The idea was to write 50ish words per day about something, to prepare me for the 150 per day that I'll be writing next year :shock:. I guess, for this goal, it would be ok for me to write them all in one go, but I don't fancy doing that with the 50,000 words for the Output Challenge :lol:

Overall, I'm liking the idea of having small yet specific goals. It helps break everything up and actually allows me to see what I have done over the course of the week. I generally think I've done practically nothing when in fact, I have done bits and pieces of lots of things, so that's nice :)

One more thing: yesterday I went out to spend the rest of my Christmas money, and I bought the Pedro Almodóvar collection on DVD, which contains Todo sobre mi madre, Hable con ella, La mala educación and Volver. Despite having studied Spanish for many years now, I haven't yet seen any of these critically acclaimed films. I guess I don't have any excuses now :P
Last edited by Spoonary on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”