Korean in 6 months

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
samuelb123
Languages: Korean, Chinese

Korean in 6 months

Postby samuelb123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:13 am

Hey, I wanted to journal my language speaking journey. I have previously learned Chinese to a HSK 6ish level but havent sat the test, this is over a period of 4-5 years with not really any active study or review apart from a few months in Shangahi. This was more of a spare time hobby, however i am going to take Korean learning seriously, the ultimate goal is to reach my Chinese level in Korean in 6 months. Which i think is doable as I know exactly how to use my time more effectively. I dont have work so I am free all day.

This was a choice between Japan and Korean however, decided on Korea as i have never really made any freinds from Japan, but have many Korean friends.

I intend to study 6-8 hours plus everyday maybe more if I can, monday-friday, my other hobbies will be piano and MMA (muy thai, and BJJ).
I also plan on using italki, as soon as possible, as this is what i felt improved my Chinese the quickest.

I will try to update everynight before bed of what i have accomplished.
3 x

samuelb123
Languages: Korean, Chinese

Re: Korean in 6 months

Postby samuelb123 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:15 am

Day 3
I have forgotten just how hard learning a new language is, all the words sound the same, look the same, so many eo's eu's oo's. And the words are so long and similar its hard to remember them.

I signed up for Korea 101, however that seems very boring and the lessons are not in a very organised way. However, I really like TTMIK the people are much more interesting and the lessons seem more systematic.

So far i have done up to around lesson 13 on TTMIK, most words i have memorized if i see/read them, not sure if i can hear them yet though.

My Chinese is at a level for the past year or two where i havent really done any study, just chatting about random topics on italki, or watching Chinese/TV shows. Mostly shows with foreingers talking Chinese with a Chinese host. IE feizhenghuishetan or er fen zhi yi. These type of shows i feel the foreginers talk a bit slower and simpler than native speakers so its easier to understand. This level for Korean seems years away, and is quite discouraging.

Aim to finish all TTMIK level 1 by Sunday.
Level 2 the week after.
Then start italki lessons 1-2 hours a day.
4 x

PandaIzumi
Languages: English (N), Korean (A2), Japanese (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9241

Re: Korean in 6 months

Postby PandaIzumi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:10 pm

samuelb123 wrote:I signed up for Korea 101, however that seems very boring and the lessons are not in a very organised way. However, I really like TTMIK the people are much more interesting and the lessons seem more systematic.

Hi!

May I ask what level you started on with KoreanClass101? I suggest skipping any of the levels before Beginner, and just work from Beginner Season 1-5. I went through all of these and I found them quite interesting and better listening practice overall at the beginner level than TTMIK due to the dialogues each lesson has. You'll also come out of it with more vocabulary as TTMIK mostly just focuses on grammar.
0 x
Korean
College Korean: 26 / 26
KoreanClass101 Beginner S3: 25 / 25
연세 한국어 읽기 1: 5 / 40
KTAL 1: 7 / 59

Return to “Language logs”