If all goes according to plan (JP, FI)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
dicentra8
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Re: If all goes according to plan (JP, FI)

Postby dicentra8 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm

There hasn't been a lot of studying lately. Mostly just doing a bare minimum and trying to come up with ways that will help me move forward. With Japanese, みんなの日本語2聴解 and 毎日の聞き取り vol.2 are gone! At least for the time being but most likely I won't get back to them. Doing workbooks with listening exercises for a while felt good and it really helped me, but lately I just had no will to keep doing it. I think right now what I really want to focus is mostly native TV content (like A LOT of it)! Also to keep reading native material.

Most of the resources I picked for Finnish will remain since I'm still pretty much a beginner.

I also slightly restricted Anki use for the following:
- Kanji (elementary school)
- (Finnish&Japanese) Mostly just vocabulary that appears in the books I'm using + books I'm reading

For the first book in Finnish I picked Mikä Sika Sotku! (it was the one available that actually sounded fun)
Paavo is the only clean pig in his family. He is afraid to invite his friends home. After he paints a beautiful picture, his family cleans up the house and themselves to provide a perfect setting for his painting.

Also since I still have got my twitter account (but haven't used it), I decided to use twitter lists like @emk does for French. I really like it! For the time being I've got a list for articles/news and other for TV channels.

It's good that things are getting back on track (even if slowly). :)
2 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

dicentra8
Yellow Belt

Postby dicentra8 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Log restart I suppose *cleans the dust* :oops:

The only thing I've been doing on a daily basis is reading the news for both TL.
The headline that made me giggle today was (for finnish): ”lentävä bulldoggi” löytyi Indonesiasta! (flying bulldog!). Sometimes my brain decides to make straightforward visualizations of what I read. :lol: The article was about the biggest bee in the world.

This big. :shock:
I also found the same news article but in japanese. Funny detail: in finnish they just say that the bee is 4cm long (noin neljä senttimetriä pitkän) while in japanese they refer to it as being the size of a thumb (人の親指大). And in that way I learned that you can use 大 as a suffix, that means "approximate size / as big as...". I was unaware of that usage.

Suomi:
Hyvin Menee 1 is on hold for the moment but I intend to return to it soon.
Suomea Suomeksi - finished the 1st chapter (lesson + workbook exercises). Will start lesson 2 soon.

日本語:
I probably should do more but it's been mostly just the news. I should do more often the ones from テレ朝news since it's one of the websites that has got videos + transcripts (below).
I haven't followed any recent tv-shows or movies... I was planning to watch again 繰繰れ! コックリさん since I've got the japanese subtitles for it. And in the process to be sad that, since I don't follow every anime, I got really attached to this one...which happened to be the one that didn't get a second season. :evil: Shame.
3 x

dicentra8
Yellow Belt

Postby dicentra8 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 pm

- After the memrise/decks chaos I found a nice and comfortable place: I went back to quizlet. And that brought a good thing that never crossed my mind before, the joy of lack of SRS (instead of fear haha)! :o
Background context: I finished 耳から覚える・語彙N3 before I took the JLPT in 2017. I found a lot of the vocabulary there useful and wanted to review it (again) once in while, but I wasn't very fond of the idea of going through 880 words and then have those 880 words the next day to review. So for a while I was postponing doing that.
Recently I found a blog with the whole vocabulary list already in a table which made the import really easy. The same blog has also got the vocabulary list for the 耳から覚える・語彙N2 and I already started going over the first words.

- While I was looking around for the vocabulary list (耳から覚える・語彙N3) I came across this nice youtube channel list (I think it's vietnamese, they always have a lot of resources for japanese). I can't even think about the work of getting all those small clips from tv shows+anime, organize everything for each word, etc. :shock: But I'm glad I found it. I occasionally listen (and see) some of those videos, mostly for the native material clips.

For the first book in Finnish I picked Mikä Sika Sotku!
Will start lesson 2 soon.
I was planning to watch again 繰繰れ! コックリさん

None of that has been done (yet...). :cry:
I just have been doing things at a rather leisurely pace. It's nice but can't drag it for too long. I still try to find a balance between the 2 TL, and I still do a tiny bit of both every day. Mostly it's reading news (using the twitter's accounts I follow or have in my twitter lists).

- Unexpected change: if someone asked me a few years back about reading news I would just shrug. The first time I tried it, it didn't work well. I thought the only way that it would work was if I searched for news with the same topic/theme. But recently it became my favourite task! Probably at some point I was driving my mother crazy because I always making reports to her, mostly news I read from finnish newspapers. :lol:
I'm not sure what changed. I try to focus and get vocabulary that I think it's common and/or useful. And a lot of it repeats itself which is great. Also, if the article is too long or feels too much, I tell myself that I don't need to read the whole thing. This works perfectly with news articles since they follow the inverted pyramid structure. If the article feels too much to handle, I just focus on the headline + the 1st paragraph (maybe skim through the 2nd paragraph). Tiny steps.
0 x

dampingwire
Green Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:36 pm

dicentra8 wrote:Recently I found a blog with the whole vocabulary list already in a table which made the import really easy. The same blog has also got the vocabulary list for the 耳から覚える・語彙N2 and I already started going over the first words.

Any chance of a link? The obvious google search just brings up "library" websites offering the book(s)! I'm finding that vocabulary is one of my weaker points when working through 読解. Thanks.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

dicentra8
Yellow Belt

Postby dicentra8 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:21 pm

All this time avoiding to do the "match mode" (quizlet) because I preferred tapping the tiles (which is available in their app) instead of dragging the term to the correct definition (website) and they had an easy solution available for that. You only need to replace the end of the url /match with /micromatch. When you click it'll look like it's just refreshing the page, but when you start the game you get the tiles! :)

Needless to say that after this I've been doing match games with every set I've got like there was no tomorrow. It's so addicting I can't stop doing it! :lol:

日本語
Read some parts of this news article about a study that links procrastination with lack of sleep (the links there are for articles written in english). Finally learned how to say "vicious circle/cycle", 悪循環 (あくじゅんかん).
I also noticed (and recalled) a couple of expressions related with sleep, some of them seem really close... I'll put here a list
- 眠る(ねむる)to sleep
- 就寝(しゅうしん)go to bed; (while) sleeping - 就寝中 ; bedtime - 就寝時間
- 睡眠を取る(すいみんをとる)to get sleep
- 眠りに就く(ねむりにつく)to fall asleep; to go to sleep ; 再び眠りに就く - to go back to sleep

Other:
先延ばし(さきのばし)procrastination (put off) - things that someone should do / have to do / are planned (?)
先送り(さきおくり)postpone (put off) - to delay a decision or dealing with something (?)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”