If all goes according to plan (JP, FI, FR)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Re: If all goes according to plan (JP, FI)

Postby dicentra8 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Japanese
Thanks to the 6WC and the main focus being finnish, I haven't been doing that much. But I still keep contact with it every day. Most of the days I try to watch an episode of Terrace House, read and listen some news. Last article was about アポロチョコ (Meiji Apollo Chocolate) allowing the public to visit their factory (テレ朝). Since the name and shape of the chocolate is related to Apollo 11, I ended up seeing other videos about the moon landing, Apollo 11, etc in japanese. :lol:

One of the videos I watched was this one (it's great to practise listening numbers and dates!). Sadly there was no subtitles, only auto-generated which work fairly ok but still...

Finnish
Vocabulary review has been tough during the last few days. :cry: I kept forgetting an unusual amount of words. I think today it started to get a little better (less words I've hit the "again button"). My brain, for some reason, doesn't like the amount of words that start with the sound "va--" and there's a lot of them in finnish!
I've completed chapter 4 and 5 of Hyvin Menee and I'm ready to move on to chapter 6! :D
I feel silly that I was postponing Hyvin Menee for so long... my idea was to reach the vocabulary list for chapter 4 and then restart from there, but there was no need to keep postponing!
The app that I'm using to track time has been working surprisingly well for me. When I go the app to start the timer, the first thing I come across is the list of goals/tasks and each time I complete one of them I get a stamp that says "complete" on it. The goal list and the stamp combined somehow makes me put more effort to accomplish them. It also probably helps that there's a limit of 5 goals for each day (although I think this is a free version vs paid version detail).
2 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)

Postby dicentra8 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:12 pm

Well, my brain just decided to unlearn/mix everything these last days for no good reason (I think...). :roll: Today's reviews were slightly better but there was still a lot of words I got wrong.

So I've been kind of slowing down and trying to fix this. Good thing is that I found these extra options in Anki when you're doing a "custom study session" that I wasn't very aware of (the ones on the right side - "cards selected by").

I'm still on chapter 17 of Hyvin Menee ( :x ). The main dialogue for this chapter is quite long and has been difficult, specially following the listening of the audio without looking too much to the text. It's called "Leipomispäivä" (baking day) and it's about a mother and her son spending a day off making preparations and baking pulla. It's also where they introduce the imperative mood. I honestly like the theme of this chapter but I also can't wait until I'm done with it. :lol: I'll probably have to review the last couple chapters, I feel like I've forgotten a lot of what I studied.
3 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt

Postby dicentra8 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:58 pm

News:
- I'm using Memrise again :| :lol: (at this point I'll just laugh at the times I jumped between anki/memrise/quizlet)
This time I saved each anki deck I had, including the most recent backup (just in case...). Adding the vocabulary was quick. But then I started feeling anxious about the amount of audio I had to add... luckily found an add-on for firefox called Memrise Audio Uploader, what a time saver! :D Although it's TTS, most of the sounds are ok and it's way easier to replace the ones I don't like with better ones than add manually audio to more than 2000 words.
- I'm using Anki only to practise "writing" kanji with the whiteboard. Grabbed a shared deck I used previously, "Kyoiku (elementary school) kanji". Both front and back show the kanji, the only difference being that the back shows the stroke order.

Japanese
I decided to spend some time with the basics and review them. I was thinking going through Minna no Nihongo because I wanted to try and apply the information funnel method. But, as much I really like Minna no Nihongo, I wasn't really in the mood to go over it again. So I decided to do it with 2 other textbooks that I think are good ones and I never finished them (TRY N4 and Nakama).
The plan is to do 2 at the same time:
  • 1st phase - TRY N4 and Nakama 1
  • 2nd phase - TRY N3 and Nakama 2
I'm using again the app FLIP Focus Timer and added an end date to the goals, plus a D-Day for it so I don't start slacking off. If I see I won't finish everything by the end date, I can always extend a tiny bit the time the day before it ends.

Finnish
A couple days ago I started watching again the finnish vlog I've been watching.
Still crawling through chapter 17 of Hyvin Menee. Today I only did one exercise that had sentences where I had to pick the right word for it using the context. It made me feel better since I got most of it right (7 out of 8). I took a peek to the next pages and thank goodness I'm almost finishing this chapter! :)
3 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt

Postby dicentra8 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:24 pm

I'm not even halfway through the textbooks for japanese... I thought it would be really quick because one of them (Nakama) is mostly just reviewing things. But like anything else, it takes time. Most likely I'll have to extend the end date. :| Nevertheless, I'm glad I'm doing this. I've been able to "learn new things" that during the first time I was learning them, somehow I missed them or maybe I just end up forgetting them. But now they feel more clear to me.

The good news are: I finally finished chapter 17 of Hyvin Menee!! I can move on to chapter 18 (7 chapters left to finish volume 1).
That was a tough chapter for me. At the end I was worried because the last exercise was listening comprehension, I just kept thinking that I would end the chapter with an exercise that would make me struggle and feel frustrated. Surprisingly it went well, I was even able to recognize and recall the conjugations for the imperative mood.
I'm also glad that I went to check the textbook's edition from 2002. There was this image that listed some general advice on what to do in case of a (car) accident. For some reason they decided to not include that on the 2008 edition. :? Got some new vocabulary and collocations from there.

Stats for the deck I'm doing to practise kanji:
Done: 208 (21%)
Unseen: 798 (79%)
2 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt

Postby dicentra8 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:50 am

Japanese
Going through Nakama and Try N4 might actually take some time. Why do I always underestimate the time things take... always end up thinking that "skim through things" will be all quick and done in a couple of days. :roll:
But I'm actually spending time doing the exercises from Try N4 and it's been helpful to review these. So there's that.
With Nakama I recently was reminded of this small grammar detail I had completely forgotten! That when you're stating the purpose for going somewhere (using the に行く、に出かける and others) and you've got a verbal expression (ex: テニスをする、ご飯を食べる), you should attach, for example, に行く to the verb stem. I could understand a sentence like ご飯を食べに出かけます, but I had forgotten how it works with nouns that can become verbs, like this example: ジムに運動しに行く. So if I had to come up with that sentence by myself I would make the mistake of writing 運動に行く, and forget about the し.

Stats for the deck I'm doing to practise kanji:
Done: 277 (28%)
Unseen: 729 (72%)

Finnish
Going through chapter 18 of Hyvin Menee that teaches "Verbien Rektioita", thank goodness for all the example sentences. :lol:
Reviewed some of the main dialogues from past chapters by trying to just listen to them without the transcript.

General
Related with SRS stuff I decided to try and use memrise and anki at the same time. How is this any different? I'm focusing and using only the features I like the most of each one.

memrise: learning stage for a word; multiple choice; do the listening skills when they're unlocked
anki: typing; srs interval

The whole process goes like this:
- start learning a word on memrise
- learn a little bit later with anki (aka typing it)
- i'll do memrise reviews mostly using the addon "memrise all multiple choice" (that way I can go through them quickly)

So far it's been working well, I don't feel burned out or bored doing it.
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:30 pm

dicentra8 wrote:Finnish
Going through chapter 18 of Hyvin Menee that teaches "Verbien Rektioita", thank goodness for all the example sentences. :lol:
Reviewed some of the main dialogues from past chapters by trying to just listen to them without the transcript.

If you need more examples try e.g. googling "verbien rektio" + any verb* you know that should appear on a list covering the subject. There's some russion site in the top results. However, I am not sure how legal their list is (which is why I didn't post a direct link), since it's essentially the content of the book "Tarkista tästä". I would recommend buying the book, but I know it's rather difficult to get outside Finland (plus rather expensive). However, I was lucky finding a super cheap, used copy a few years ago.

*I used tavata, but most common verbs should work.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

dicentra8
Orange Belt

Postby dicentra8 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:01 pm

tiia wrote:If you need more examples try e.g. googling "verbien rektio" + any verb* you know that should appear on a list covering the subject.
Thank you for the tip. :) More examples are always welcome so I get more used it. The textbook I'm using just introduced them, I think they picked a group with the most common ones. Not sure if they'll get into more detail later on about this topic.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”