---

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
handa
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English, French, Japanese, Albanian

Re: moonglow; english, français, 日本語, 한국어

Postby handa » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Week 49:

This week has been stressful and my mind has been all over the place, making it difficult to focus on the languages. I hope the next few weeks will be better.

English:

Reading: 590/10'000 pages (+114)

French:
Anki
Escalade 3: 5/12 (+3)

Korean:
Anki
Intermediate Korean Beginning: 9/17 (+4)

I finished the first book of Intermediate Korean beginning and am one lesson into the next one.

Japanese:
Anki
Memrise: N3 Vocab (60/3438)
Memrise: N3 Readings (60/3440)
JfBP1: 7/25 (+1)
3 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Re: lou's log; english, français, 日本語, 한국어

Postby handa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:46 pm

Week 50:

My grandmother passed away this week so studying French has become my way of getting through this. When I think of French I often think of my grandmother too, who lived in Paris when she was young and helped me immensely when I first picked up French, supporting me while I crammed three years' worth of French classes during a single summer. Though it might sound stressful we both had fun and my memories from that summer are particularly fond. I don't know how much sense it makes but studying French is both a way to mourn yet at the same time remember the times before she became ill.

I leafed through two chapters of Integrated Korean today, highlighting unfamiliary vocabulary and some grammar notes. No Japanese grammar studied. The only constant has been Anki every day.

English:
Reading: 748/10'000 pages (+158)

I finally finished the book that I'd been reading, Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. It was an interesting read, however I felt like it dragged on quite a bit here and there (perhaps why it took such a long time to finish it...). I'm happy to be done with it.

French:
Anki: 2150 cards, 1637 mature
Grande Escalade 3: 9/12 (+4)

I realised that the textbook I'm working with was called Grande Escalade, not just Escalade. I don't know if it really matters however, beyond the different texts and whatnot.

Once I'm finished with this one, I'm planning on reading through Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers while listening to the audiobook. I really want to start reading again but I've realised from past efforts that simply reading is going to be something I can't quite handle. The progress will be too slow, too many unkown words and complicated sentence structures that I'll want to look up. I hope that reading and listening to the audio at the same time will keep a steady flow going.

Korean:
Anki: 1274 cards, 411 mature
Integrated Korean: 12/17 (+3)

Japanese:
Anki: 1259 cards, 1041 mature
Memrise: N3 Vocab (119/3438)
Memrise: N3 Readings (118/3440)

Edit: Forgot to mention it but had my username changed from moonglow to Lou. It had slipped my mind.
7 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:04 am

I am really sorry about your grandmother. It's wonderful that you had those times and can remember her through your French. That feels very special.

Out of interest, how did you change your username?
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 pm

MamaPata wrote:I am really sorry about your grandmother. It's wonderful that you had those times and can remember her through your French. That feels very special.

Out of interest, how did you change your username?

Thank you for your kind words.

I sent a message to rdearman, the admin, who changed it for me.
1 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Week 51:

I feel like I didn't get much done this week. I haven't been feeling very well and wasted a lot of time. I'm on antidepressants and my dosage was doubled earlier this week which I know can make you feel a bit worse momentarily so I try not to pester myself too much.

I'm thinking of creating a new log for 2019.

English:
Reading: 1'181/10'000 pages (+433)

I read one book this week. Also, I found out that my application to Komvux got accepted so I will start studying English formally again in January. By the way, I wrote that I'd completed Engelska steg 6 in my original post but that wasn't correct, I've apparently only finished steg 5. :?

French:
Anki: 2'359 cards, 1'767 mature
Escalade 3 - Completed!

Finally done with Escalade 3. I rushed through the last chapters because I just wanted to be done and over with it.

Korean:
Anki: 1'554 cards, 648 mature

No grammar studying this week. I'm doing 40 new cards a day until I reach 2'000 cards, after that I'll lower it to 20.

Japanese:

Anki: 1'259 cards, 1'116 mature

My Japanese studies have stagnated completely. :oops:
I added about a hundred new cards to Anki but I have yet to go through them. I will add some more throughout the next week and pick up Japanese for Busy People again once it's January. Right now I just can't seem to muster up the energy to study grammar.
1 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:42 pm

In order to save myself from further embarrassment I will just continue posting here.

English:
Read: 1'189/10'000 (+8)

I'm going to attend a komvux course this semester. It starts next week so from then on there'll be some more formal studies in addition to my reading.

French:
Anki: 2'659 cards, 1'995 mature
Harry Potter, Tome 1: 1/17 chapters read

There's been a lot going on this past week, with Christmas celebrations and my grandmother's funeral and on top of that catching the worst cold I've had this past year, which has resulted in no progress here. I've started on the first Harry Potter book and the plan is to read through the series and then when I'm done with that, I will evaluate the situation and where to go from there.

Korean:
Anki: 1'952 cards, 1'019 mature
Integrated Korean 1 - Completed!
서울대 한국어 1B: 1/8 (+1)

I managed to finish Integrated Korean Beginning before my cold got really bad. I've also started on one of Seoul University textbooks. I've looked through the content and seems like most of it will be repetition but that's fine by me.

Japanese:

Anki: 1'304 cards, 1'163 mature
Memrise: N3 Vocab (178/3438)
Memrise: N3 Readings (177/3440)

Not much to say here. Will attempt to get back to the textbook soon.
2 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Re: Lou's log (en/fr/ko/jp)

Postby handa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:31 pm

Week 1:

I've been the complete opposite of productive this week, this won't do.

French:
Anki: 2'819 cards, 2'128 mature
Harry Potter, Tome 1: 4/17 (+3)

I'm aiming to finish the book next week. I think it's doable as long as I can get back some regularity into my week. My days have been all over the place during the holidays.

Korean:
Anki: 2'070 cards, 1'197 mature

Japanese:
Anki: 1'356 cards, 1'166 mature
Memrise: N3 Vocab (253/3438)
JfBP1: 11/25 (+4)

I'm back at it with Japanese for Busy People. Hope to finish it in January. I've also dropped the Reading version of the Memrise course for now, though I'm planning on picking it up once I'm finished with the Vocab one.
2 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Re: Lou's log (english, french, korean)

Postby handa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Seems like I’ll have to reprioritise this year, because with the way my mental health is now and the stress around my impending komvux studies, I don’t think I can manage to juggle as many languages.

I’m keeping French as my number one prioritisation and Korean as my second, but I’m basically dropping Japanese and Albanian. When it comes to Japanese I’ll still go through the 600 or so new card that I have in my Anki deck (+the daily reviews!) but I don’t think I’ll be able to manage much more besides that. Japanese has slowly become a sort of stress-factor and I think taking a pause and picking it up again at a later point, when I’ve come further in my other languages and I’m done with my rest of my studies. I’ve entertained the thought of filling some of the needed points for my secondary education diploma with a few Japanese courses, but that’s something I’ll have to decide further into the future.

Sort of a rambly post, but yeah... :(
3 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Week 2:

French:
Anki: 3'062 cards, 2'310 mature
Harry Potter, Tome 1: chapters 5 - 9
Duolingo: 83 crowns

Korean:
Anki: 2'270 cards, 1'408 mature
서울대 한국어 1B: unit 3
Duolingo: 98 crowns

I've been in a slump this whole week so I haven't managed to be as productive as I hoped. I was aiming to finish the first Harry Potter but perhaps I was a bit too ambitious. At least I'm halfway now.

I downloaded Duolingo at some point this week and I've been playing around with it a fair bit now. I used Duolingo for French back in 2014 when I first began studying French but I kept it up only for a couple of months before dropping it completely. The reason I think was because trying to keep the skills golden became annoying and I just became fed up with it, probably. But with the new system, skills that have turned golden stays golden so I want to try it out again. I still have my progress on the French tree, so I'm starting from there. As for Korean, I tested out my skills and unlocked the whole tree which was a nice moment. (While it seems to be very basic the whole way through, unlocking the whole tree meant I'm not completely useless at Korean! It was something at least!) :D

The Korean textbook I've been using has been a bit disappointing. I'd like to get more use of the exercises but so many of them are to be done in pairs or in classes and it's just not fit for self-study. I bought it for a Korean class that I took last Spring though I didn't get much use out of it since I stopped going to the lessons. I don't know if this is the exact reason for why I'm so reluctant to pick it up but I'm just not excited to use it. Right now, I'm mostly reading through the example sentences, writing them down, and doing the exercises that I can do. I could probably get more use out of the other exercises, perhaps I could adjust my approach to them or something, but that's more frustration than I'm willing to put up with at the moment.

My English course starts tomorrow. It's a distance course and the first assignments will be made available tomorrow.
1 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Week 3:

English:
Did a 400-600 words written assignment.

French:
Anki: 3'342 cards, 2'490 mature
Harry Potter, Tome 1: chapters 10-12 (3)
Duolingo: 83 -> 130 crowns

Korean:
Anki: 2'550 cards, 1'602 mature
Duolingo: 98 -> 116 crowns
Lingodeer Korean 1: 23.9%

Short update this week. I'm not exactly pleased with how this week turned out.

I've been very reluctant to pick up 서울대 한국어, I don't really enjoy working with it so I've decided to drop that textbook for the time being. Instead I'll replace it with Korean Grammar in Use: Beginning. I've added Lingodeer as an activity, something to do during my commute and when I'm not sitting at my desk.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”