---

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
handa
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English, French, Japanese, Albanian

---

Postby handa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Hello, I'm Lou, a native Swedish speaker. I wrote a whole post detailing my history with language learning but I was logged out while trying to save it as a draft and really don't have the energy to rewrite it, hah. So I will keep it short for now. Most of my activities are passive, just a note. I'm very shy and willl probably only post in this thread but I'm happy to talk to anyone.

English:
Grade A in engelska steg 5, equalling B1 on the CEFR scale, but I was about to receive A in steg 6 too so I might be B2. My main goal here is to read more and also get back into writing.

French:
1) Go through some textbooks, 2) Anki, 3) comprehensible input. I'd say I'm might be at about an A2 level but my speaking and writing is unfortunately hampered by some anxiety issues. I've managed to do well at tests and such only because I forced myself to perform well for the grade. Received A in franska steg 3.

Korean:
1) Go through some textbooks, 2) Anki, and after a while, 3) comprehensible input, here too. I've studied Korean on and off for over three years but I don't have much to show for the time that I've put down. I would've estimated my proficiency here but my anxiety hampers my output here too and since I've only been self-studying Korean I don't have a grade that I can take into consideration. With more constistency in my studies, I hope to get further ahead.

Japanese:
1) Go through some textbooks, 2) Anki and Memrise for vocabulary, 3) kanji practice. I began studying Japanese a little over a year ago, taking a course at my gymnasium though that course progressed slowly and I learned next to nothing unfortunately. Picked it up again during the summer and have tried to stay on track since then.

Albanian:
1) Colloquial Albanian, 2) Colloquial Albanian, 3) Colloquial Albanian, 4) Colloquial Alb... into infinity. I guess I don't really have a plan here other than that. I have neither the motivation nor the want to do more. Hopefully after the second time through things will stick and might be able to utter a sentence or two when speaking with relatives.
Last edited by handa on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 14 times in total.
10 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Re: moonglow; english, français, 日本語

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Hello :) Welcome to the forum!

My native language is English and my Japanese is intermediate, so if I can help you somehow or other, please feel free to ask.
0 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:53 pm

devilyoudont wrote:Hello :) Welcome to the forum!

My native language is English and my Japanese is intermediate, so if I can help you somehow or other, please feel free to ask.
Thanks! :)

Morgana wrote:Welcome! I'm very shy too, but I think if you hang around here long enough, little by little you'll feel more comfortable around this place ;) The login-timing-out thing is a common pitfall for people updating logs :lol: I usually try to hit "Preview" every now and then when writing a log update, it seems to keep my login "active" and prevents me from losing my work.
Thanks! And I see, I'll try to keep that in mind next time.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Welcome Moonglow! Nice to have another Swedish native here.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm

---

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Welcome Moonglow! Nice to have another Swedish native here.

Thanks! :D
Last edited by handa on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:18 am

Since I write my log in Spanish, it takes me a long time to write. To avoid the problem of timing out, I always write it in Word and then paste it in my log when I’m finished.
2 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Week 40

I began reading Le soleil est pour toi by Jandy Nelson last week. I read it in Swedish during the summer holidays last year so I’m familiar with the story. Since I read the book through Readlang I can deal with the unfamiliar vocabulary, but I keep stumbling over the grammar and I lose track when reading longer sentences so the finer details escape me. I’m going to keep reading but it’s tiring to always feel like I can’t get a clear view.

I finished the Memrise course so that’s one thing of the list. I’ve been thinking about starting Coffee Break French.

With Japanese I’m soon finished with the JLPT N5 vocabulary on both Anki and Memrise. I’ll continue to review the words throughout the remainder of October. I’ve read through the first lessons of Tae Kim’s Grammar Guide. It’s more like a review but I guess I need that.

Stats:

French:
Franska 1 – 8/15
Memrise: 450 Most Common French Verbs – Completed!
Anki – young+learn 652, mature 98
Le soleil est pour toi – 10% of 125,000

Japanese:
Memrise: JLPT N5 – 1181/1218
Anki: JLPT N5 – young+learn 530, mature 50

Albanian:
Memrise: Discovering Albanian – 324/1850
2 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Week 41

I’ve finished two chapters in Franska 1 and done the Anki reviews every day. I’m on a 31 days’ streak and I don’t think I’ve ever had that much consistency in anything. I think I’ll wait with reading for a few weeks. It’s too draining and I can’t have another thing in my life to exhaust me. I tried out Coffee Break French this week. I’m thinking of doing about one lesson every day. I’m traveling tomorrow and will be away from home until the next weekend. I will most likely have a lot of time for studying. The goal of next week is to finish Franska 1.

In Japanese, I’ve finished going through both the Memrise course and my Anki deck and for the rest of October I’ll continue to review the vocabulary. Reread the first lessons of Tae Kim’s grammar guide and did some of the exercises. I'm thinking of going through a list of JLPT N5 kanji and learn how to write them.

As for Albanian, I’m soon 25% through the Memrise course. So much of the vocabulary is familiar. And for English, I’ve read about 150 pages. It's just your standard YA novel but it's easy to read and I think that's what I need right now, since every other book I have waiting to be read feels too much right now.

Stats:

French:
Franska 1 – 10/15
Anki – young+learn: 599, mature: 251
Coffee Break French – 7/160

Japanese:
Memrise: JLPT N5 Readings – Completed!
Anki: JLPT N5 – Completed!

Albanian:
Memrise: Discovering Albanian – 411/1850
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 pm

moonglow wrote:
French:
The things I'm doing now is mostly reading and anki but I'm still trying to figure out how to go about the listening issue.
Have you considered cartoons?
0 x

handa
Yellow Belt

Postby handa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 pm

DaveAgain wrote:Have you considered cartoons?

I've tried before but I might give it another try sometime again. Just have to find one that keeps my interest.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”