Hekje learns Dutch, Indonesian, French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Hekje
Languages: N: English
Learning: Dutch (intermediate), Spanish (beginner)
Backburner: French, Indonesian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=905

Hekje learns Dutch, Indonesian, French

Postby Hekje » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:26 am

***October 2019 - Updated after a hiatus***

Hello! Welcome to my log!

About Me: I'm 27 and live in Brooklyn, New York. I work in the arts/entertainment and have always been interested in languages as a side hobby. Years ago, I was somewhat active on the old HTLAL forum, and credit that original community of learners for helping me learn Dutch from scratch. I enjoy drawing, hiking, camping, traveling (who doesn’t, I guess?) and have visited all 7 continents, including Antarctica.

:arrow:

My language learning history:

2003-2009: French was my first language interest. I studied it throughout middle school and high school. My mildly decent career in French culminated with sitting for the International Baccalaureate Higher Level exam, where I scored a 6 out of 7. Not bad! I was probably about a B2 then. Since high school, I haven't had much to do with French and it's gotten quite rusty. I still have delusional notions of dusting it off and bringing it back up to scratch.

2010-2014: I become obsessed with learning Dutch, a language that my father and his side of the family speak (but one that I did not grow up with). The obsession is initially sparked by a 6-month stint as an exchange student in Utrecht, but really builds into an inferno after I leave. My experience with Dutch is very different from my experience with French. I never study it in a formal classroom setting. Instead, I cobble together an insane DIY library of resources comprised mainly of homemade Anki notecards, illegal TV streaming, books, and random websites on the internet. Somehow, this becomes shitty but functional conversational Dutch. In the years since, I've maintained my Dutch through chatting with family and frequent trips back to the Netherlands.

2015: I contemplate moving to Indonesia for a bit and then actually do it. While in Indonesia, I take private language courses for about five months with a very patient tutor. My Indonesian is shit and I'm a terribly lazy language learner. To this day, my Indonesian is still extremely shitty. I know basically nothing. Total failure.

2019: Over the last four years, I've maintained Dutch and settled into adult life in New York. Spanish is everywhere here and, again, delusionally, I contemplate trying to "pick it up". I win free airline tickets to anywhere in the world (long story) and decide to go to Costa Rica in February 2020 for the interesting hiking and volcanic activity. This seems like a great opportunity-slash-excuse to learn some Spanish... Here we go again...

:arrow:

Goals for this log: Use shitty beginner Spanish in Costa Rica to earn mild goodwill and avoid dire emergencies.

As you can see above, I'm more of a lazy enthusiast than a hardcore language collector. If you want to watch me muddle around with Spanish and possibly a few other languages in the slowest way possible, you're in the right place!
Last edited by Hekje on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Re: Hekje learns Dutch, Indonesian, French

Postby geoffw » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Welcome back, and veel succes!
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:40 pm

Hoi Hekje

Ik zou heel graag jouw log bezoeken en met jouw in het Nederlands "spreken" als je dat wilt. :)
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

kimchizzle
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Studying Spanish, Dutch, Russian
On the radar, Estonian, Ukrainian, Cantonese, Korean, Swedish
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=779

Postby kimchizzle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:44 am

Good luck, I will be following your log. I've often thought from time to time of learning some Indonesian. It really seems like an interesting language, and being written in the Latin alphabet without many diacritical marks is a big plus to ease the beginning learning experience.
1 x
Spanish Duolingo: 42 / 100 Dutch Duolingo: 4 / 100
Feel free to help correct any of my languages, except my native tongue. :shock:

Hekje
Languages: N: English
Learning: Dutch (intermediate), Spanish (beginner)
Backburner: French, Indonesian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=905

Postby Hekje » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:58 pm

geoffw wrote:Welcome back, and veel succes!

Dank u zeer meneer :D

Welcome back too! I hope to see you around more.

vogeltje wrote:Hoi Hekje

Ik zou heel graag jouw log bezoeken en met jouw in het Nederlands "spreken" als je dat wilt. :)

Ja hoor, zeg maar wat! Het spijt me dat ik niet zo actief ben, ik heb het heel druk gehad met een nieuw bijbaantje en zo. Als ik wat tijd heb kan ik je zeker beantwoorden. We kunnen wel samen oefenen. :)

kimchizzle wrote:Good luck, I will be following your log. I've often thought from time to time of learning some Indonesian. It really seems like an interesting language, and being written in the Latin alphabet without many diacritical marks is a big plus to ease the beginning learning experience.

Dude, totally do it! It's a great language, and having the Latin-based orthography (which is almost totally phonetic too) is mad helpful. We could use more Indonesian learners on the forum.

Random thoughts 8/11/2015

So, I just started a new side job as a barista in a touristy area. My manager asked me if I could speak any foreign languages, and I said yeah, I could speak some Dutch.

She goes: "Wow, that'll be so useful! We have so many Dutch tourists coming through!"

I swear to God, this is the first time anyone has told me "Dutch is so useful!" hahaha. Now, I'm sure that all the tourists coming through will be able to speak excellent English anyway, but hopefully I can make them feel a bit more at home with my baby Dutch skills. We'll see. That would be my dream.
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:23 pm

Welcome back and to NTRHTLAL, Hekje. It's always a pleasure to read your log :)
0 x

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:19 am

Hekje wrote:So, I just started a new side job as a barista in a touristy area. My manager asked me if I could speak any foreign languages, and I said yeah, I could speak some Dutch.

She goes: "Wow, that'll be so useful! We have so many Dutch tourists coming through!"

I swear to God, this is the first time anyone has told me "Dutch is so useful!" hahaha. Now, I'm sure that all the tourists coming through will be able to speak excellent English anyway, but hopefully I can make them feel a bit more at home with my baby Dutch skills. We'll see. That would be my dream.

Sounds like destiny is calling you, Hekje. Good luck!
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:05 pm

hekje wrote:
vogeltje wrote:Hoi Hekje

Ja hoor, zeg maar wat! Het spijt me dat ik niet zo actief ben, ik heb het heel druk gehad met een nieuw bijbaantje en zo. Als ik wat tijd heb kan ik je zeker beantwoorden. We kunnen wel samen oefenen

Leuk, ja we kunnen samen oefenen :) geen probleem dat je niet altijd zo actief bent, dat is normaal

groetjes
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:21 am

Hello, I am a native Indonesian, and maybe I can help you with our language. :)
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:05 am

Welcome back Hekje! Awesome to see another old school HTLAL gebruiker round these parts. All the best with your languages, goes without saying, and congrats on winning a free flight to Costa Rica! That's mad! Excellent motivation to get a nice foundation in Spanish before you head over there. Looking forward to reading your highly entertaining and always motivating language updates and feats. Veel succes!
0 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Return to “Language logs”