Massive Input in Berlin: Patrick's German/Spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Re: Massive Input in Berlin: Patrick's German/Spanish log

Postby patrickwilken » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:35 euros is a lot. I could buy so many books a month with that budget! (Not that I could read them fast enough!)

You might want to consider Die Zeit, which as a weekly should be a bit cheaper. I remember liking their Kindle ebook version too.
Last edited by patrickwilken on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Holiday!

Postby patrickwilken » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:10 am

I'm off to Sicily tomorrow for a late late Summer holiday. :D

See you in two weeks!
7 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

Robierre
Green Belt
Languages: Speaking: Croatian (N)
Learning: French (C2), Polish (B1)
Using: English
On hold: German (B2), Italian (C1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=941

Re: Holiday!

Postby Robierre » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:04 pm

patrickwilken wrote:I'm off to Sicily tomorrow for a late late Summer holiday. :D

See you in two weeks!

I'm also going to Sicily next week. :mrgreen:
0 x
Si ce n'est toi, qui le fera? Si pas maintenant, quand sera-ce?

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Re: Holiday!

Postby patrickwilken » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 am

Robierre wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:I'm off to Sicily tomorrow for a late late Summer holiday. :D

See you in two weeks!

I'm also going to Sicily next week. :mrgreen:

Just saw your post! I hope you are having (had?) a good trip.

Back from Sicily now, and just recovering from a busy and enjoyable trip around the island.
1 x

German Spanish

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Progress update

Postby patrickwilken » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 am

Just back from a two-week holiday in Sicily. I was surprised that even my very limited Spanish was helpful at times for understanding Italian. A nice little bonus!

German

I was able to get very little reading done during the trip (or even TV watching), but I did manage to finally finish my 1980s German-translation of the Australian scifi novel Quarantäne by Greg Egan. I realized after finishing it that it's the first book I have read in German since February, and only the second this year. Shame on me!

I have now started a new book by Wolfgang Bauer, Bruchzone, which is a collection of essays he's written as a reporter in various conflict zones for die Zeit over the last ten years. The German publisher Suhrkamp makes beautiful not fiction works.

bruchzone.jpg

I am really liked his earlier reportage, Über das Meer, which followed a Syrian man's attempt to find refuge in Europe during the crisis in 2015.
uberdasmeer.jpg

Check out his books here:
https://www.suhrkamp.de/autoren/wolfgan ... tlichungen

I have also started listening to the second book in the Expanse series Calibans Krieg. I have trouble at time following everything that is said but it's certainly useful practice. Heyne is the publisher to checkout if you want scifi in German.

51lsWiidEcL.jpg

In addition I watched 20 German "films" (=Netflix series) in September. Berlin Babylon has just become available here on ARD so I might have a look at the series soon.

Spanish

For Spanish I continue to use two Anki decks, which take me about 45-60 minutes per day. The first is just words/expressions, for which I have just passed the 2500 mark; and a second deck composed for sentences from the first Harry Potter book. So far I have worked through the first chapter. I finding it really helpful and very satisfying. Now that I am back I'll start adding new sentences; before the holiday I was adding 20-25/day. This takes a little while as I also add unknown words to the first deck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

German Spanish

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Progress Update: October

Postby patrickwilken » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:39 am

German

I have been experimenting with my sleep times, and have been getting up a bit early, which means I have had less time to watch TV in the evenings. I did manage to watch the first season of Daredevil on Netflix, in preparation for the third season that I am currently watching (excellent) and rewatched Cabin in the Woods in German. So a total of six films in German.

My reading has been a bit more focused. I managed to finally finish Quarantäne by Greg Egan, and worked through the second and third books in the Expanse series (Caliban's Kreig and Abaddons Tor). So I managed 1674 pages in October. However, I probably won't read so much German this month, as I am trying to finish a few English books, and the books I am still trying to complete in German are more serious and aren't so easy to whip through.

Spanish

I continue to chip away at my Harry Potter Anki deck. I'm finding it very enjoyable. In the mornings I do 20 new sentences, adding any words I don't know to my "word list" deck. I am finding the constant repetition of sentences really helpful. When I started this I was completely overwhelmed, but I am now starting to be able to parse sentences without an immediate translation, and my vocabulary has really improved. The only "problem" with this method is that I am generating more new unknown words per day than I can comfortably learn in my wordlist deck, so I am taking a pause from new HP sentences at the end of each chapter until I've caught up (this will take about three weeks). This works quite well, since as I am only reviewing old sentences in the HP deck it doesn't take that much time, and I can review more new words/day in the WL deck (I've set the number of new words per day to allow me to catchup in three weeks). I'll spend the rest of November consolidating the first two chapters for HP and then in December start on Chapter 3. At this rate it will take me a year to finish the first HP book, but I suspect things will speed up quite quickly as my vocabulary continues to increase. In any case I am not in a particular hurry; so long as I continue to improve month-by-month I am happy.

Currently I am actively studying +550 sentences in my HP deck and +2600 words/phases in my WL deck. Both decks combined take me somewhere between 50-90 minutes/day (this time includes the time it takes to look up and generate new cards).
2 x

Return to “Language logs”