Massive Input in Berlin: Patrick's German/Spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Navik
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Catalan (N), English (C1), German (C1), Finnish (B2), French (B1.2), Russian (A2), Italian (A1) - Future: Portuguese and Swedish.

Re: Weekly update

Postby Navik » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 pm

patrickwilken wrote:Spanish

I have read the first 55 pages of the first Harry Potter book using Readlang. When I started it was incredibly difficult, but it's got a lot better since then. On a whim I converted the text into an Anki deck with about 7000 cards. Each card consists of an individual sentence from the book, with a English Google translation and audio as answer. The idea is to basically give me multiple exposures to the same sentence until I am comfortable with the grammar and word meanings.

First of all, I've been reading your thread and really admire your commitment when it comes to learning Spanish. I must admit I'm always amazed at how other people do a lot of things related to learning languages and then I...well, I'm really proud of me whenever I spend more than 20 minutes doing something profitable. Lately I've been using both Clozemaster and LingQ, so let's see how it goes.

Anyway, I would like to know how you just "convert" the text into an Anki deck. I mean, I guess you do that on your computer, right? I'm a bit new when it comes to using all these apps (Anki, LingQ, Clozemaster...), but I'm really keen on learning how to use them properly since many people seem to be improving their languages thanks to them.
1 x
All corrections are welcome.

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Converting a book into Anki cards

Postby patrickwilken » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 am

Navik wrote:Anyway, I would like to know how you just "convert" the text into an Anki deck. I mean, I guess you do that on your computer, right?

It's actually pretty quick to do, though it took me a while figure out all the steps the first time around (I'm probably going to forget something so let me know if it doesn't work the first time).

I use Anki on my Android phone (which has a free app - you have to buy the iPhone app) with headphones, using swipe gestures so I can quickly move through a deck. However, I add cards on my laptop, because it's a lot easier to edit there. Everything is synced for free in the cloud when you set up an Anki account.

Most people use Anki either to create pairing between words with the same/similar meanings in different languages (Q: the Dog - A: el Perro) or using pictures (Q: Picture of Dog - A: el Perro). Or using Cloze cards where your question card has a missing element which you have to fill in. However, I really like sentence cards where your question is a sentence in your L2, and the answer is either blank, or a (semi-)translation of the sentence. That way you can quickly reinforce meanings you don't know, within the context of your L2.

Converting an entire ebook into an Anki deck is pretty easy.

1. First, you need to save the ebook as a txt file. You can do this by importing your ebook into a program called Calibre, and exporting as a txt file. You may have to remove the DRM from the ebook first, which Calibre can help you with.

2. Open your txt file in a text editor. Do a search for carriage returns and replace them with spaces. Then search for all full stops, explanation marks, and question marks, and replace them with carriage returns. Save this as a new text file. Now you have a text file, in which every line is one sentence from the book.

3. Cut-and-paste this into a column in a spreadsheet program like Excel.

4. Open the text file with the Chrome browser which has the Google Translation extension, this will translate your complete file. (Note: Using Google translate from the web won't translate the entire book). Cut and paste this translation into the second column in your spreadsheet.

5. Create a third column called Audio, and fourth called Tags. If you like you can add to the Tag column chapter numbers so if you want later you can filter your Anki deck by chapter (or whatever else you put in the tags) if you want to for instance study only the words in particular chapter.

6. Save the file in .csv format, which you can now import into Anki as a new deck.

7. If you want use the Awesome_TTS extension on Anki to create audio for your files.

It might not work perfectly the first time, but once you work out the bugs it's remarkably easy to do. I'm currently doing 20 new sentences a day, and am putting unknown words into another Anki deck to build up my vocabulary. I'll probably increase the number of sentences in a few weeks once I get more comfortable with reading Spanish.
10 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Books for All - Libros para Todos - Bücher für Alle

Postby patrickwilken » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 pm

booksforall_small.jpg

Poster at our local Berlin children's library.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Monday Mornings: Ist mir egal!

Postby patrickwilken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 am

0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Monday update

Postby patrickwilken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 am

German

I am slowly reading my book Quarantäne by Greg Egan. It's slow not because it's particularly difficult, but just because I have pretty busy with other things, and haven't found time to read systematically. I am going to try finish it in the next day or so.

I am been watching TV shows. Just finished the first season of Iron Fist in German. TV shows have felt very easy for me for at least a year now. I have the feeling my comprehension is somewhere in the 99.999% level, but it's definitely good to keep listening.

I have been trying to read a few articles a day in Süddeutsche Zeitung. There I suddenly find lots of holes in my vocabulary. I'm going to keep reading, looking up words as needed. I am tempted to create a German Anki for these words, but at this point I am doing enough Anki with Spanish. For it to be effective too I would want to have whole sentences as questions, and that's too much work at the moment.

What's really great about reading the newspaper everyday is that you learn a ton about German culture as well, which is really helpful. Yesterday I was reading about the criminal Arab family clans in Berlin (apparently there are about 12) and there is some sort of gang war around where I am currently living.

German: https://www.zeit.de/2018/33/clans-deutschland-kriminalitaet-mitglieder
English: https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/07/arab-clans-dominate-berlin-twenty-families-rule-large-parts-of-germanys-capital/

Spanish

After a happy week of using Clozemaster I finished with it! It's a fun program, but I am getting enough out of other methods not to want do it as well.

My Spanish at the moment is revolving around Anki. I spend about half-an-hour a day translating and working sentences from Harry Potter, which I find quite enjoyable. As an experiment I am adding all the vocabulary/phrases I don't know from the HP deck into another general Spanish deck in Anki that I created in the last year so I can drill unknown words further. This means that I am now learning some odd words, but it's more fun that learning frequency lists at this point. In total I am doing about an hour a day on Anki, and wouldnt' want to do more.

I haven't been watching any Spanish TV in the last couple of weeks, since I figured that it would be worth waiting until my understanding is a little better.

I read through the short and concise "Essential Spanish grammar" by Seymour Resnick the other day. The basic grammar section is only about sixty pages long, but it covers everything I need at the moment. I thought about converting the book into Anki cards, but decided I was too lazy and will aim to re-read the book on a semi-regular basis until the grammar sticks.

Learning through an input-based approach for me is basically about learning through interacting with native materials (books/films/people) and grammars are useful in that they point to structures in the language (e..g, past tense) that you then recognize when reading/listening etc. I just don't have the temperament to study grammars for any long period of time.
4 x

German Spanish

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Re: Massive Input in Berlin: Patrick's German/Spanish log

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Gah! I really should be reading Süddeutsche Zeitung. Accessible and yet chock full of unknown vocab. Extensive reading would do a lot.
0 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Newspapers

Postby patrickwilken » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Gah! I really should be reading Süddeutsche Zeitung. Accessible and yet chock full of unknown vocab. Extensive reading would do a lot.

I find the Süddeutsche Zeitung really good. It's basically replacing the NYTimes and the Guardian for me. Die Zeit is also very good, but it's a weekly and has a reputation for being a bit harder to read (by Germans!). You can read selected articles from both free via apps or website, but it's much better to subscribe. SZ is pretty expensive per month (35 euros), but you are introductory offers, and I think for first time subscribers the first two (?) weeks are free.

On a broader note, it's quite refreshing to read about the World though a central European lens. My long term aim is to do something similar for Spanish; either with El Pais, or perhaps one of the Latin American newspapers.

B2 is definitely a good point to start reading quality newspapers. Although my vocabulary is pretty extensive, I find lots and lots of gaps as soon as I dive into newsprint. It's a different, more technical vocabulary. Yesterday, I read an article on problems the die Bahn (the german railsystem) has at the moment, and suddenly I am being confronted with words like "signal box", "track system" "union" "advisory board" "bankruptcy" etc. Most of which I have never seen in the sorts of novels or TV shows I've read. That's probably a boring topic if you don't have to get around Germany via train, but the nice thing about newspapers is there is something for everyone.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/
https://www.zeit.de/index
0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Tagesshau

Postby patrickwilken » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:24 am

If you prefer to get your news via TV I can also recommend the Tagesshau.

https://www.tagesschau.de/
0 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:15 pm

35 euros is a lot. I could buy so many books a month with that budget! (Not that I could read them fast enough!)
0 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Postby patrickwilken » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:35 euros is a lot. I could buy so many books a month with that budget! (Not that I could read them fast enough!)

Here in Germany you could buy about two new books a month!

But I agree it is a lot, but it's sort of irreplaceable for me, and it's way cheaper than lots of other things I do. Like I said, there are discounts for new subscribers. I think the first two weeks is even free (though I haven't checked recently).

The plus side of the cost, is that it gives you a push to read. If you find it useful you can always unsubscribe.
1 x

German Spanish

Return to “Language logs”