Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Interested in: Mongolian, Finnish, Turkish, Russian.

Previously Studied: Latin, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Turkish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=165080

Morning-August 29, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:16 pm

Korean

-Five pages in Nirvana in Fire. 3 or 4 more pages will finish out the chapter so I aim to do some more reading tonight.

-One Iyagi about Gangnam. People are curious about Gangnam because of Psy's song, so what should we know about it? Plastic surgery, super sexy clubs with high standards (flats? no way!), and really expensive real estate according to the hosts.

Mandarin

-Pimsleur 5.13. Will need to listen to this one again

Classical Chinese

-One headlist from Chinese Through Poetry Unit 21. An easier poem than the first one in this unit. Hopefully I will get to poem #3 and finish out the chapter tonight.
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Midday Note

Postby RachelMeier » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Just want to make a note for myself here-- I really want/need to start watching variety shows. I do perfectly fine for my level with dramas and movies where everyone is using perfect diction all the time but I need to start listening to more "natural" Korean sentences and interactions vs the canned variety. I have such a hard time following Korean ajhummas I meet at restaurants etc.
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening-August 29, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:31 am

Korean

- 4 pages of Nirvana in Fire and also a bunch of crying :cry:

Mandarin

-Episodes 17 and 18 of Heavy Sweetness Ashlike Frost—looking forward to the earthly trial, but also super trepidatious about the next 30 episodes because of what I’ve heard about the fans’ reactions to certain storylines being altered/added. I did read the novel but am not super attached to anything about it so I’ll try to stay open minded I guess.

-Currently watching episode 15 of Bloody Romance. Changan and Wanmei are back together and ugggghhhh it’s breaking my heart

Classical Chinese

-2 headlists but no way I’m getting to a distillation tonight
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Morning-August 30, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:58 am

Korean

-2 pages in Nirvana in Fire. The prose transitions between events are always the most difficult sections for me, it will really be pretty amazing if I get to 5 pages today. Good thing I’m ahead for the week.

Mandarin

-3 review sessions in Hello Chinese

-tried to do Pimsleur 5.13 again this morning but on top of having trouble concentrating I had to avoid a bunch of construction truck son my walk, super annoying. Will try to do again this evening.

Classical Chinese

-Still headlisting from Ch 21 of Chinese Through Poetry. There’s a bunch of example lines for different ways to use time and distance adverbs so I may get 2 or 3 more headlists from this chapter due to my new policy of headlisting everything.

Cool coincidence, today I learned the word 지연하다 to delay in my Korean reading and wrote it in my vocab diary along with the hanja. I encountered the same character in my classical Chinese reading 遲 . It was a cool feeling to recognize it, I think my character recognition has really started to improve since I began goldlisting in April.
Last edited by RachelMeier on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Midday Update 8/30/18

Postby RachelMeier » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Korean

-Managed another 3 pages of Nirvana in Fire over lunch. Yay! If I can get another 3 pages done this evening I will be able to skip my Saturday pages without hurting my schedule. If I get anything done that day I may just casually forward them to Sunday, when I really won't have any time.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Postby eido » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 pm

I've been interested in Korean for about three years. How did you get to an intermediate level with it? I have several resources I'd consider using, but I never get far with the language. I think getting to your level is an accomplishment, and of course getting to an advanced or higher level is surely more wonderful still. Not many keep up with the study of Asian languages after the first 6 months or so, if that. I guess I could be an example. :oops: Good luck studying! I'm sure you'll be quite proficient in no time.
1 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening 8/30/2018 and Morning 8/31/2018 and reply to eido

Postby RachelMeier » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:32 pm

eido wrote:I've been interested in Korean for about three years. How did you get to an intermediate level with it? I have several resources I'd consider using, but I never get far with the language. I think getting to your level is an accomplishment, and of course getting to an advanced or higher level is surely more wonderful still. Not many keep up with the study of Asian languages after the first 6 months or so, if that. I guess I could be an example. :oops: Good luck studying! I'm sure you'll be quite proficient in no time.

Hi eido, it was really a big trial and error process. I began to be hugely into Kdramas about 7 years ago but it quickly developed into a super unhealthy obsession, I was doing nothing but watching dramas all day for about 3 months. I took a gap semester in Spain and of course was unable to watch dramas at that time (no wifi where I was) so after sort of breaking the cycle I vowed that if I was going to watch Kdramas I had to actually study Korean.

About two years later when I finally left school I started with the 2 Pimsleur Korean program levels and then used TTMIK. I did all the levels of TTMIK but was having a really hard time acquiring vocabulary, so I put grammar essentially on hold for an entire year and studied only vocabulary using the Scribe Korean app (6000 most common words) for about a year. After that I did some studying with the beginning lessons in the free Berkeley Korean course and in Ross King's Continuing Korean book.

That was at the end of my third year of studies. I left my job at this point to do an 8 week Korean intermediate intensive course here in the US. This is what really propelled me into B1/B2 and after the course I was able to start reading books and webtoons with just a dictionary, and I can watch family dramas and romantic comedies enjoyably without subs (not 100% understanding everything though). It was a pretty difficult process and of course it's disappointing in some ways I haven't been able to get to advanced level/near fluency yet after 5 years of study but I have confidence that if I get an opportunity to go and live in Korea for a few months I'd be able to get there soon. I've enjoyed my studies a lot and have never regretted the time I spent even though sometimes I went down study avenues that weren't very fruitful.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you have them!

Combined Evening and Morning Log

Mandarin

-Next two episodes of Heavy Sweetness Ashlike Frost (17/18). They are doing their earthly trial and I love it, it's like watching AU fanfiction haha.

Classical Chinese (goldlist method)

-3 distillations, to catch up on the last few days of missing them

Korean

-Ugh didn't get to any extra reading last night or any reading at all this morning...
4 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Midday Note 8/31/18

Postby RachelMeier » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:09 pm

Wanted to make a note of this tough sentence...

예왕의 표정이 어두어졌다. 그 한마디가 정곡을 찌른 것 같았다. 사실 사옥은 이제 실권이 전혀 없으니 죽든 살든 큰 차이가 없었다. 하지만 이렇게 보란 듯이 떠벌였는데 끝이 좋지 않으면, 그의 진영 사람들을 황제의 총애가 줄어든 것으로 오해하고 불안해할 것이다.

I understand the first two sentences but the last sentence is mystifying me (starting with 하지만).

Oh wait! ok, I think I get it. So Prince Ye is the topic of the sentence! I thought it was Saok. So it’s something like “But since he came out [against Saok] in a big way, if it didn’t end well his political supporter will think the emperor’s affection towards him has lessened and become uneasy”. Wow it really helped to just type that out...
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Evening-August 31, 2018

Postby RachelMeier » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:26 am

Korean

-episode 11 of My ID is Gangnam Beauty

- 4 pages in Nirvana in Fire

This weekend may be a wash for my language studying. I’m heading out to a hotspot with a few acquaintances, but I’ll be bringing both my books and hoping for the best. No dramas for the next few days tho :cry:
2 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Re: Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Postby RachelMeier » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:49 am

Sept 1 thru Morning Sept 3 2018

Korean

Episode 12 of My ID is Gangnam Beauty

Mandarin

1 session of Hello Chinese

Classical Chinese

-Two distillations

-One headlist

Hopefully more this afternoon when I get home. Soooooo behind on my Korean reading.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”