Learning Spanish in Colombia

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
ZanePrime
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (A2-B1), Mandarin Chinese (A1)

Learning Spanish in Colombia

Postby ZanePrime » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:42 am

Hey guys,

I have been a quiet reader on this forum for quite a while now and finally decided to start my own log to track my progress and to hold myself accountable.

About myself:

I am 23 years old, from Germany and I am currently studying for my master’s in financial mathematics. Normally, I am studying in Germany, but I just arrived in Colombia to study here for one semester. Hence, my focus with respect to language learning will be on Spanish for the next few months.
Nonetheless, I would like to give a brief overview of my language learning experience.

English: I started studying English in third grade and I also spent one year abroad in the U.S. while I was in high school. Most of my courses in university are taught in English as well and I’m used to watching TV series in English. Thus, I would consider myself to be fluent in English. However, I could work some more on my active skills and might try to read some English news articles etc. in the future to expand my vocabulary.

Spanish: I studied Spanish for five years during high school. I pretty much stopped studying it after eleventh grade but started a few months ago to refresh my knowledge and like I said before, will focus a lot on learning Spanish in the next few months. As I will spend the next few months in Colombia, I also have the perfect conditions to improve my Spanish. I would say my Spanish is currently in between A2 and B1.

French: I studied French for five years in high school but didn’t study anymore French for more than six years already. I’m still able to read some French texts, but my active skills are very bad and improving my French has no priority at the moment.

Chinese: I started studying Chinese in university, did a few university courses that were not very useful and also spent one semester in China during my bachelor’s. So I have some basic knowledge of Chinese and I would like to improve my Chinese at some point. Currently I’m just trying to not forget all the characters that I learned. So I regularly review them in Anki.

Russian: I did a three-week Russian language course in Saint Petersburg about a year ago because it was financed by my scholarship, mainly because I was interested in visiting Saint Petersburg and Moscow, but not a lot of the stuff that I learned, stuck.

Portuguese: I haven’t really started studying Portuguese yet, but I might start teaching myself the basics at some point, because my girlfriend is from Brazil and I’ll most likely travel to Brasil a few times as well in the next few months.

I will be using the following resources to study Spanish for now:

TV shows:
- La casa de papel

Books:
- Harry Potter y la Piedra filosofal
- Gramática de uso del español

Others:
- Anki
- Clozemaster
- Duolingo

I highly appreciate recommendations for other resources as well :D .
Unfortunately, the next week will be a little unforeseeable for me, because I will talk with my coordinator at university and will probably choose my courses as well. Since the semester here in Colombia already started about a month ago, I will probably have to catch up on a lot of university work, but I’d like to set some very ambitious language learning goals anyways.

My goals for the week from August 20 to August 26 are:

- Review 1500 sentences on Clozemaster
- 1000 Exp on Duolingo
- Watch 10 Episodes of La casa de papel
- Work through 20 units of Gramática de uso de español
- Read 50 pages of Harry Potter y la Piedra filosofal
- Review Anki everyday
9 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Learning Spanish in Colombia

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:31 am

It's so awesome that you get to experience Spanish first hand in Colombia. That's a dream of mine, to be able to travel to a Spanish country in the future. I'd love to know how your stay goes and how your Spanish is improving.

I highly appreciate recommendations for other resources as well :D .
Unfortunately, the next week will be a little unforeseeable for me, because I will talk with my coordinator at university and will probably choose my courses as well. Since the semester here in Colombia already started about a month ago, I will probably have to catch up on a lot of university work, but I’d like to set some very ambitious language learning goals anyways.

- 1000 Exp on Duolingo
- Work through 20 units of Gramática de uso de español
- Review Anki everyday

Damn, those are some ambitious goals haha, but I can't judge because I have been known to have similar goals myself :oops:

How comfortable are you with reading Harry Potter? I read it when I was a high A1 and struggled a lot lol. It even put me off reading for quite a while. I think my comprehension has improved a great deal since then so I might give it another shot. Are you watching La Casa de Papel with Spanish subs? The Spanish used in that show is so fast lol, sometimes it seems they just vomit out words. Sadly, I am watching it with English subtitles because I don't want to miss anything. I'd love to return to it one day.

While you are there , have you considered watching some Colombian television? They make some great television as well. I think a show like 'Yo soy Betty, la fea' would be great for you. Fun Fact: the show has 20 international adaptations, you might know the American one - Ugly Betty :) There are 169 episodes, so lots of time to get used to the accents and the show centres around young people (well young people from the late 90s lol) so you can get accustomed to the way speak and their vocabulary. I personally have not watched it (I have only seen the first 2 episodes) but many of my Colombian friends tell me that the show was massively popular in the early 2000s and that it's quality was pretty good. You can watch it on Youtube

There are other Colombian shows as well that you can watch, the two most well-known being Narcos and El Patrón del Mal. The former centering around of the Colombian drug trade in the 80s and the latter more specifically about 'the true story about the life of Pablo Escobar'. Colombians also produce a crap ton of cheesy telenovelas, so there's that as well.

I'd also love to recommend you some Colombian podcasts but sadly I don't know of any popular ones haha. Podcasts and listening practice are a huge part of my study routine so I'll always recommend you taking at least 5 minutes out of your day to listen to some Spanish. If you are familiar with how podcasts work, I am sure a simple google search like: mejores podcasts de colombia should suffice. I listen to a bunch of podcasts but sadly most are from Spain, but there is one Colombian one I have called Españolistos, it even has transcripts from episode 20 onward. They also have a youtube channel where they post grammar tips, listening exercises, etc. There is also another youtube channel called Why not Spanish that does that same type of thing.

Oof, sorry for bombarding your log lol. I get carried away some times :? Good luck and have fun with your studies!!
2 x

ZanePrime

Postby ZanePrime » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:
How comfortable are you with reading Harry Potter? I read it when I was a high A1 and struggled a lot lol. It even put me off reading for quite a while. I think my comprehension has improved a great deal since then so I might give it another shot. Are you watching La Casa de Papel with Spanish subs? The Spanish used in that show is so fast lol, sometimes it seems they just vomit out words. Sadly, I am watching it with English subtitles because I don't want to miss anything. I'd love to return to it one day.

Regarding Harry Potter: I used to start reading it before my exams last semester and had to look up a lot of words, but after looking up the words, I didn't know, I was able to understand it quite well. However, there were obviously quite a few words, that I had to look up. I started reading it from the beginning again yesterday, since I didn't read so many pages yet anyways and the first few pages I read yesterday (and that I already read before) were now quite easy. However, it will probably be a little bit of a struggle again, when I get to the point, where I didn't look up most of the words yet.

Regarding La casa de papel: I'm watching it with Spanish subtitles and pause when there are some words that I don't know to look them up. Sometimes, I feel the same way as you, because the pace of Spanish is quite high from time to time. For the first episode, I did the following: I watched it three times: the first time with Spanish subtitles and I looked up the words I didn't know, the second time, I watched it again with Spanish subtitles and with the use of the subtitles understood most of it and the third time, I completely watched it without subtitles to focus on listening comprehension completely and as I knew more or less already what the dialogues were about, I was able to follow quite a lot. I'm not sure, if this is the best method, but I think I'll proceed like that for now.

Jaleel10 wrote:While you are there , have you considered watching some Colombian television? They make some great television as well. I think a show like 'Yo soy Betty, la fea' would be great for you. Fun Fact: the show has 20 international adaptations, you might know the American one - Ugly Betty :) There are 169 episodes, so lots of time to get used to the accents and the show centres around young people (well young people from the late 90s lol) so you can get accustomed to the way speak and their vocabulary. I personally have not watched it (I have only seen the first 2 episodes) but many of my Colombian friends tell me that the show was massively popular in the early 2000s and that it's quality was pretty good. You can watch it on Youtube

There are other Colombian shows as well that you can watch, the two most well-known being Narcos and El Patrón del Mal. The former centering around of the Colombian drug trade in the 80s and the latter more specifically about 'the true story about the life of Pablo Escobar'. Colombians also produce a crap ton of cheesy telenovelas, so there's that as well.

I'd also love to recommend you some Colombian podcasts but sadly I don't know of any popular ones haha. Podcasts and listening practice are a huge part of my study routine so I'll always recommend you taking at least 5 minutes out of your day to listen to some Spanish. If you are familiar with how podcasts work, I am sure a simple google search like: mejores podcasts de colombia should suffice. I listen to a bunch of podcasts but sadly most are from Spain, but there is one Colombian one I have called Españolistos, it even has transcripts from episode 20 onward. They also have a youtube channel where they post grammar tips, listening exercises, etc. There is also another youtube channel called Why not Spanish that does that same type of thing.

Thanks a lot for all your recommendations. Once I'm done with La casa de papel, I'll have a look at the series that you suggested :).
2 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:28 pm

I spent about 10 days (I think it was 10 days?) In Medellín. What a beautiful country with really nice people. I don't think you'll have any problems finding native speakers to practice with you

I do have one recommendation for you:

Although La Casa de Papel is an amazing show, I'd leave it for now and focus on something from Colombia (specifically, something from the region you will be going to). There's a difference between a Paisa accent and the morr neutral sounding accent from Bogota.

Watching something from Spain will certainly help but you will be dealing with different accents that you won't find in Colombia, along with different slang.

Best of luck to you!
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 pm

NoManches wrote:I spent about 10 days (I think it was 10 days?) In Medellín. What a beautiful country with really nice people. I don't think you'll have any problems finding native speakers to practice with you

I do have one recommendation for you:

Although La Casa de Papel is an amazing show, I'd leave it for now and focus on something from Colombia (specifically, something from the region you will be going to). There's a difference between a Paisa accent and the morr neutral sounding accent from Bogota.

Watching something from Spain will certainly help but you will be dealing with different accents that you won't find in Colombia, along with different slang.

Best of luck to you!

I agree with NoManches. If you have Netflix try La Nina. Great Colombian telenovela choice for you. It has the audio description feature too.
1 x

ZanePrime

Postby ZanePrime » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I'm really enjoying watching 'La casa de papel', but I will consider, including La Nina in my language studies.

Just a quick review of last week:

My goals for the week from August 20 to August 26 were:

- 1000 Exp on Duolingo

- Work through 20 units of Gramática de uso de español (I only worked through 2 units. I definitely need to pick up my grammar studies, as this is one of my strongest weaknesses for now)
- Read 50 pages of Harry Potter y la Piedra filosofal (Read only 30 pages, but shouldn't be a big problem to reach 50 pages next week)
- Review Anki everyday

For this week, my goals are the following:

- 1000 Exp on Duolingo
- Watch 10 Episodes (either of La casa de papel or La nina)
- Work through 10 units of Gramática de uso de español
- Review Anki everyday

Even though I need to improve my knowledge of Spanish grammar, I decided to lower the goal a little bit, since I felt like it demotivated me quite a lot that I would have to review like 3 units of grammar per day to reach my goal.

I also think that my approach of watching each episodes of La casa de papel 3x (2x with subtitles, whereas the first time, I look up all the words that I don't know, and the third time without subtitles) works quite well, although I sometimes feel like I would like to proceed faster because I'm excited how the series will continue.
2 x

ZanePrime

Postby ZanePrime » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:29 pm

Hey guys,

a quick update from me regarding the last week.
My goals for the past week were the following:

- Review 1500 sentences on Clozemaster (reviewed 652 sentences)
- 1000 Exp on Duolingo (780 Exp on Duolingo)
- Watch 10 Episodes (either of La casa de papel or La nina) (watched 7 episodes of la casa de papel)
- Work through 10 units of Gramática de uso de español (0 units)
- Read 50 pages of Harry Potter y la Piedra filosofal (17 pages)
- Review Anki everyday (maybe 3-4 days)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reach a single one of my goals last week, mainly because I got sick in the middle of the week and spent a lot of time recovering. Also I was busy with some other stuff besides learning Spanish. However, what's not reflected in the summary above is that I spent quite a few hours last week talking to Colombians and thus, got a little bit more language study in as well.
Also I got completely through my Duolingo tree (everything is at least at level 1 now) and I'm not entirely sure how much sense it makes to proceed with Duolingo. I will definitely reduce the time spent on Duolingo a bit, but for now, I will keep on using it.

So for next week, I have the following goals:

- Review 1200 sentences on Clozemaster
- 500 Exp on Duolingo
- Watch 10 Episodes (either of La casa de papel or La nina)
- Review Anki everyday
4 x

ZanePrime

Postby ZanePrime » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:59 am

Hey guys,

a quick update of last week.

I set the following goals:

- Review 1200 sentences on Clozemaster (Reviewed slightly more than 1200 sentences)
- 500 Exp on Duolingo (Did 500 Exp on Duolingo)

- Watch 10 Episodes (either of La casa de papel or La nina) (Unfortunately, I don't have access to Netflix at the moment, so didn't watch any episodes)
- Work through 10 units of Gramática de uso de español (0)

- Read 50 pages of Harry Potter y la Piedra filosofal (50)
- Review Anki everyday (reviewed Anki everyday)

Unfortunately, another week without Grammar practice, but I'm very determined to change it this week. Also I came to realize, that Duolingo is not longer useful for me as the invested time vs. the benefit is pretty small as I got through it already. So I will most likely not continue Duolingo for Spanish.

For this week, I have the following goals:

- Review Anki everyday
- Go through 500 sentences on listeningpractice.org
1 x

ZanePrime

Postby ZanePrime » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 am

Hey guys,

another weekly update from me.
My goals last week were the following:

- Review 1500 sentences on Clozemaster (Reviewed over 1800 sentences)
- Work through 10 units of Gramática de uso de español (Worked through 5 units. Unfortunately didn't make it up to 10 units but I finally did some grammar study again, which is great.)
- Read 50 pages of Harry Potter y la Piedra filosofal (Read about 60 pages)
- Review Anki everyday (Reviewed Anki everyday although sometimes I didn't make it through all the vocabulary)
- Go through 500 sentences on listeningpractice.org (Went through slightly over 500 sentences)

I feel like it was a good decision to not include Duolingo in my language studies for Spanish anymore and the listening practice on listeningpractice.org was a good addition. I feel like it helps my understanding a lot. Also I managed to master the first few sentences on Clozemaster this week.

Apart from the time dedicated specifically to language study, I also get a lot of practice in by talking to native speakers e.g. I celebrated the Mexican Independence Day with a lot of other international students here this weekend with tacos and karaoke, which was a lot of fun.

For the following week, I have the same goals as last week:

- Review Anki everyday
1 x

ZanePrime

Postby ZanePrime » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 am

Hey guys,

another week has passed and it's time again to review what I have achieved in this week.

For the last week, I had the following goals:

- Work through 10 units of Gramática de uso de español (Worked through 7 chapters, so a slight improvement with respect to last week, but still not quite there
- Review Anki everyday

Regarding my other goals: I mostly hit them point on or did slightly more than I aimed for.

For the next week, I have the same goals again as last week:

For the following week, I have the same goals as last week:

- Review Anki everyday
2 x

Return to “Language logs”