Italian + Polish with comprehensible input

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Italian + Polish with comprehensible input

Postby StringerBell » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Then I went digital and got a little more organized. These are sentences that I copy+pasted from various articles.

Screen Shot_Vocab.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Last one for Italian. I decided that I wanted to focus on learning which verbs required which article when followed by an infinitive verb. I started out looking at a list and trying to remember them from the list, but then I decided that every time I came across an example while reading, I'd copy+paste it to its own doc, color code it, and keep a running list of the verbs I'd encountered at the top.

Screen Shot_Infinitives_Articles1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:28 pm

POLISH:

At some point, I realized that to say "to (a location)" would take different endings, but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason...until I started keeping track. Every time someone was going "to a location" I jotted it down, then I categorized everything by the type of ending the location had. Eventually, the rule was so obvious! As soon as I figured it out, I wrote it at the top of each column.
PolishNotes1 copy.jpg
Last edited by StringerBell on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Most recently, I've been watching native content (5 minute youtube videos on various topics). I use the CC auto generated subtitles and write down every sentence. When there is a new word (or one I don't remember), I write the English translation really small above that new word so that when I re-watch the video, I can read my transcript with the instant translation. Anything that seems particularly useful I also write on another page in the notebook. I'm not trying to memorize anything, so if the definition I chose from the options I got on Reverso Context isn't optimal, I'm not too concerned; I'll come across the word again in the future if it's important and I'll figure it out from context or ask the person I'm talking to what it means.
VideoNotes copy.jpg
2 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 pm

I like the idea of the copy/paste notes to keep samples of various things you want to remember when you come across them as it gives you the benefit of search. For me writing by hand helps things stay in my memory but it becomes difficult to find anything in the future. I've recently started searching for sentences online with verbs or phrases I have usage doubts about.

I notice that your Polish hand writing is much neater than the Italian. :mrgreen:
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:13 pm

StringerBell wrote:POLISH:
Eventually, the rule was so obvious! As soon as I figured it out, I wrote it at the top of each column

The expression "popłynąłem do statku" sounds strange. If you swim (or sail) a short distance, it would be "podpłynąłem do statku". There are also a few errors in the "neuter column."
You say "poszedłem do ..." but "poszłam do ..." You hear a lot of people saying "poszłem do ..." but this is a proof of their low education. Unfortunately, I heard that it was accepted by the Polish language council. Because it is so common mistake.
poszedłem poszłam
poszedłeś poszłaś
poszedł poszła
poszliśmy poszłyśmy
poszliście poszłyście
poszli poszły
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 pm

cjareck wrote:The expression "popłynąłem do statku" sounds strange. If you swim (or sail) a short distance, it would be "podpłynąłem do statku".

I came across both versions (popłynąłem, podpłynąłem) and I was confused if they were interchangeable or if there was some nuance I was missing. So, does this mean that popłynąć should be used for a short distance while podpłynąć is used for a long distance?

Here is where I came across that particular expression. It's a simplified version of Robinson Crusoe; could this choice of wording have something to do with it being an old story?

Polish1.png

cjareck wrote:There are also a few errors in the "neuter column."

I bet I have more than just a few! For this particular exercise, I was just trying to look for trends, so I'm not too concerned if I mislabeled something as long as I didn't do it consistently which then led me to coming up with a totally wrong understanding of what was going on (if I did that, please tell me!). Thank you for the warning about the past tenses - I will try to be on guard to not use the incorrect ones (I make enough mistakes as is!)
0 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 pm

StringerBell wrote: So, does this mean that popłynąć should be used for a short distance while podpłynąć is used for a long distance?

Actually, the opposite is true. "Podpłynąć" for short distance and to approach something by swimming - it does not necessarily mean that you reached the ship. You could just get close to it. This is not so obvious and I write about my feeling, not the dictionary definition here.

StringerBell wrote:Here is where I came across that particular expression. It's a simplified version of Robinson Crusoe; could this choice of wording have something to do with it being an old story?

This explains a lot. It fits perfectly with that story. It is correct but just sounds strange without context (this is my wife's opinion also). He just took a boat and wet to the ship. People don't do it very often now so that is why I wrote about it ;)

cjareck wrote:I bet I have more than just a few!

No, I saw only 3 - and all of them you have "poszedłam" instead of the correct form "poszłam" (or poszedłem for a male).
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

MattNeilsen
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Hebrew (studying - beginner)
Spanish (passive, beginner)
Mandarin (mostly forgotten)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8869

Postby MattNeilsen » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 pm

StringerBell wrote:I think I will start collecting examples of piuttosto every time I come across it and group those sentences based on how piuttosto is being used. Maybe this will help me to start using and understanding it in a variety of contexts.

You might really like Clozemaster for this task. There is a feature in the Pro version where you can search all sentences that include your target word. For example, I just checked "piuttosto" and there were 309 example sentences. I've included two screenshots below to give you an idea of what it looks like. Not sure if that's helpful, but if you need more example sentences just let me know.
0 x
Hebrew
Pimsleur Level 2: 21 / 30
FSI : 3 / 40
Clozemaster 101-500 Most Common Words: 1600 / 4825
Srugim Season 3: 1 / 15
1100 hours of study/input : 160 / 1100

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 pm

StringerBell wrote:
dampingwire wrote: Infatti "piuttosto" è piuttosto difficile da capire. Userei piuttosto un'altra parola ...

Ecco perchè sono confusa!

I think I will start collecting examples of piuttosto every time I come across it and group those sentences based on how piuttosto is being used. Maybe this will help me to start using and understanding it in a variety of contexts.

Perhaps this might help. this, OTOH may be a bit too dense and literary ...
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Return to “Language logs”