Sandía Struggles with Spanish

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sandía
White Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish

Re: Sandía's Struggles with Español

Postby Sandía » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:13 am

Courses:
-Assimil: lessons 23-29
-Kwiziq: about an hour, A2 level

Reading:
-Pídeme los que quieres ahora y siempre, finished (432 pages)
-Several articles from El País
-Anki: about 60% of the days

Listening:
-Podcasts: about 3.5 hours, mostly Buenos días América and Lo que tu digas, which was recommended in the Spanish podcast thread. I really like it even though it is a struggle for me to keep up sometimes.
-That 70s show: Season one, episodes 20-24, and season 2, episode 1
-Las chicas de cable: First episode of the third season
-Movies: Finished Peal Harbor

Output:
-Translation: 3 hours of My Father's Dragan

Started translating a children's chapter book, checking my work using DeepL. This was really difficult in the beginning, but I think my hours upon hours of reading in Spanish have helped because when I tried again today it seemed a bit easier.

I am still reading awful Spanish romances. It is easy to read rather extensively though, and these were originally written in Spanish so they are good practice. The book I am currently reading was recommended to me by a friend, and, well, it's a bit silly. I gave it a shot though because there are 8 books in the series, but I'm not sure if I am going to continue after the second one.
5 x

Sandía
White Belt

Re: Sandía's Struggles with Español

Postby Sandía » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:27 am

It's been about 20 days since I last posted and honestly I haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked, but I also had a busy month at work. I seem to be much better at reading and watching TV than I am at actually studying :lol:

Courses:
-Assimil: lesson 30
-Kwiziq: 25 min, A2 level

I am only 30% into the A2 level on Kwiziq and my 3 month subscription is up in a few days. I haven't been good about using this resource recently but I think I am still going to renew and step my efforts up a bit because I like the format.

Reading:
-Harry Potter y la cámera secreta: finished (288 pages)
-Several articles from El País
-Anki: almost none

I have fallen off the anki boat but I am trying to get back on. I have turned off new cards and and am just trying to catch up with reviews (I have over 1000 to go). And once I catch up I an going to lower my new cards from the 25 new cards/day that I had it at before, because I think I was just getting burned out.

Listening:
-Podcasts: mainly Buenos Días América, En Serio, No Hay Tos, and Lo Que Tu Digas
-That 70s show: Season 2, episodes 2-8
-Élite: episodes 1-3, watched intensively
-Movies: Coco
-Harry Potter audiobook: Ch. 5-18

Really enjoying Élite, a Netflix series about scholarship kids mixing with the rich kids in a Spanish private school. The language is really colloquial and I am struggling with it a lot. I have to watch almost every scene with Spanish subtitles, then English, then Spanish subtitles again. But between that and That 70s Show, which I watch pretty extensively and understand most of without subtitles, I feel like I am slowly making progress on listening. The podcasts are all hit or miss (except Buenos Dias America, which I can understand most of the time if my attention doesn't wander), depending on the subject of the podcast.

Output:
-Translation: about 30 min spent on My Father's Dragon
-Lang8: 2 entries
-Shadowing: Pídeme lo que quieres, about 30 min

Started shading the audiobook version of Pídeme lo que quieres, which I recently finished reading. I am hoping if I keep it up it will help with pronunciation and speech fluidity, but I haven't done even close to enough to know if it will really help me. Honestly, it is really really hard and kind of boring. A 10 min session leaves me a bit worn out and tongue tied.
7 x

vyxr
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1? B1.5?)

Re: Sandía Struggles with Spanish

Postby vyxr » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 pm

I finished Elite and I was shocked at how good it was. One of the best Spanish-language series I’ve ever seen. I had a lot of trouble understanding as well. I thought I was somewhat prepared to handle the accent / colloqualisms, but... definitely wasn’t. lol
0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Nice to see another beginner student in Spanish; though I am much more a beginner than you.
0 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:47 pm

Nice work. It looks like you re getting all sorts of good input with the series and such. Translation is a good way to get some output in the beginner stages, so keep it up. I can't wait to get back in language study mode, myself... but first I need to finish out the semester.
0 x

Sandía
White Belt

Postby Sandía » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:57 am

vyxr wrote:I finished Elite and I was shocked at how good it was. One of the best Spanish-language series I’ve ever seen. I had a lot of trouble understanding as well. I thought I was somewhat prepared to handle the accent / colloqualisms, but... definitely wasn’t. lol

Yes I am about halfway through and I am very impressed with the show. Seems to have high production value and the plot is much less “teenager drama” based than I would have though, although some of that does still exist. I am really enjoying it, even though my comprehension is lower than on most other shows I have watched. They speak very colloquialy is many scenes.

patrickwilken wrote:Nice to see another beginner student in Spanish; though I am much more a beginner than you.

I have been following you log too @patrickwilken. I appreciate you stopping by over here. I love reading other Spanish logs of all levels. The give me so many great ideas.

M23 wrote:Nice work. It looks like you re getting all sorts of good input with the series and such. Translation is a good way to get some output in the beginner stages, so keep it up. I can't wait to get back in language study mode, myself... but first I need to finish out the semester.

I am definitely out of study mode right now and trying to force myself back in because I know the more study based and intensive activities were really helping me with output.
0 x

Sandía
White Belt

Postby Sandía » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 pm

It has been just shy of two weeks since I last posted, and I am happy to announce that I have finally settled on a routine that has been working for me. Well, at least since I started it a few days ago. I was doing a lot of extensive activities because they are much easier and take less focus, but I know I am still at a stage where intensive activities will be of great benefit to me. My plan therefor is as follows:

Day of Work- 1 hour
30 min listening
15 min reading
15-20 min daily Anki

Day off Work- 4 hours
1 hour listening
1 hour reading

30-45 min Assimil
15-30 min KwizIQ

15 min writing
15 min shadowing
15 min translating
15 min Anki

So far having a plan written down like this has helped me to actually star doing some of the more work intensive activities. Of course, it has only been a few days since I started this, so we will see if I can continue this long term.
Since my last post, I have accomplished:

Courses:
-Assimil: lessons 31-35
-Kwiziq: 20 min, A2 level

Reading:
-Harry Potter y el prisionero de Azkanban: 73% read (about 262 pages)
-Anki: reviewing cards only, almost every day
-El País: one or two articles

I am catching up on my reviews on Anki and then I am going to set the number of new cards lower than it was before. I am aiming for about 15 min a day of Anki time, so I will start with 15 new cards/day and adjust up or down as needed to keep my review time down.

Listening:
-Podcasts: 1.5 hours
-That 70s show: Season 2, episodes 9-14
-Élite: episodes 4-6, watched intensively
-Movies: El Calendario de Navidad

Still going strong with élite, which continues to be difficult for me, and That 70s Show, which is a breeze comparatively.
I am trying to decide if podcasts such as Lo Que Tu Digas are the right level for me right now. I only understand maybe 60%, enough to follow a verrryyy general outline of what is going on. I think podcasts that are more suited for my level might help me learn more.

Output:
-Translation: 1 hour spent translating My Father's Dragon
-Lang8: 3 entries
-Shadowing: Pídeme lo que quieres, about 45 min

Shadowing Pídeme is getting easier (although still challenging), but I have actually started enjoying it. I look forward to this section of my little routine.

Well that's all for now. Goals for the next few weeks are sticking with my routine as best I can. I don't expect to get it all done every day, as I have a family that needs attention too at times, but I am going to do my best.
3 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 am

Sandía wrote:I am trying to decide if podcasts such as Lo Que Tu Digas are the right level for me right now. I only understand maybe 60%, enough to follow a verrryyy general outline of what is going on. I think podcasts that are more suited for my level might help me learn more.

Absolutely and definitely.

By far the biggest mistake I've made and I did it for a loooooong time, was to listen to (and read) material that was too difficult for me.

I now choose really, really easy listening material, that way I can pick up new vocabulary and really get the grammar to soak in. It also allows me to listen more and drift off less, because it's easier.

I have found that the best listening material is where I can understand pretty much everything that is said except for a few new words of vocabulary every few (say every 5 for example) sentences; so I would say at least 90% comprehension. Oh and it has to be interesting or I stop listening in any language :D

Just my two cents...good luck your plan is looking good.
3 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Sandía
White Belt

Postby Sandía » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:22 am

Bex wrote:
Sandía wrote:I am trying to decide if podcasts such as Lo Que Tu Digas are the right level for me right now. I only understand maybe 60%, enough to follow a verrryyy general outline of what is going on. I think podcasts that are more suited for my level might help me learn more.

Absolutely and definitely.

By far the biggest mistake I've made and I did it for a loooooong time, was to listen to (and read) material that was too difficult for me.

I now choose really, really easy listening material, that way I can pick up new vocabulary and really get the grammar to soak in. It also allows me to listen more and drift off less, because it's easier.

I have found that the best listening material is where I can understand pretty much everything that is said except for a few new words of vocabulary every few (say every 5 for example) sentences; so I would say at least 90% comprehension. Oh and it has to be interesting or I stop listening in any language :D

Just my two cents...good luck your plan is looking good.

Thanks Bex. I know it would be better for me, but true native material is so much more interesting that I loose sight of that fact. I just want to be able to understand it all perfectly so badly!!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”