Ezrae Via Linguarum Classicarum

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Italian
Studying: Latin, Classical Hebrew, Ancient Greek, Classical Chinese, Japanese, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

September Update

Postby Ezra » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 am

Months are surely flying fast! Another one is done, and it is time to look what was achieved. As usual, it was a slow month - about 40h of language studies in total. Way, way too little. But for now it will stay this way: too many other projects are competing for my attention.

Latin

It was a Latin month mostly. Mostly I read Augustine «Confessions» and hoped to read it to the end in September. Alas, did not make it through but there is not much left to read. I also read a lot of snippets from different books in Latin: it has become a habit of mine to open a random book in Latin among those downloaded, open a random page and read a random section. It is really great to understand that I can make sense of it.

Hebrew

Psalms. For now I am only reading, but learning them by heart would be a great way to boost my vocabulary (and, probably, other areas of my Hebrew as well).

Classical Chinese

Got back to CC. I do not remember whether I wrote it but for phonetics I had switched from onyomis to Palladius, which is Russian system for transliteration of Chinese characters to Russian language. Usually one needs it if you want to spell a Chinese name or title or specific term in Russian letters with respect to Russian phonetics.

My rationale to do this is: Imagine a mediaeval Japanese Confucian who is learning Classical Chinese. Would he learn Chinese pronunciation? Of course, not. There were not any standard Chinese pronunciation anyway. So, he would do it the Japanese way (onyomis). Now, if I imagine myself as a Russian Confucian then it is obvious I should use the Russian way — and this is, basically, Palladius system.

Someone might ask why I would not just learn Modern Standard pronunciation, and the answer is: it is a huge investmend of time, and it is not 100% cut I am going to learn Modern Chinese. For Classical Chinese any more or less coherent system of pronunciation will do. One might even get by without any.

German

Not much done with German. A few Assimil lessons and a couple of pages of Jens Thiemann's «Klartraum» (nothing interesting for now — pretty basic and common information on lucid dreaming). But I stay on the course.

Italian

I've read a little of Italian-Latin grammar. The text is in Italian but both languages are discussed. After finishing «Confessions» I might devote Latin time to this book, after all it counts both as Italian and Latin :).
9 x
1000 pages in Latin: 759 / 1000
1000 pages in Hebrew: 891 / 1000
5000 pages in Italian: 509 / 5000

Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Italian
Studying: Latin, Classical Hebrew, Ancient Greek, Classical Chinese, Japanese, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

CC & Latin Update

Postby Ezra » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:25 pm

Classical Chinese

I've reached the downscaled yearly goal of 1000 characters in Anki deck. It did not require much: a series of consisted sittings through the second chapter of Menzi quickly brought ~80 charachters I needed. The second chapter is not yet finished. Whatever number of characters will be eventually reached this year, I will use it to set a new goal for the next. "Gran Ricci" is very handy, these days I just copy its entries almost verbatim.

Latin

I've finished Augustine's "Confessions". Great book. As I planned, I switched to "Grammatica generale delle due lingue italiana e latina" which is a parallel grammar for Italian and Latin written in Italian.
6 x
1000 pages in Latin: 759 / 1000
1000 pages in Hebrew: 891 / 1000
5000 pages in Italian: 509 / 5000

Return to “Language logs”