Ogrim's Krambu - a plethora of languages, mostly European, both old and new

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Ogrim's language experiences - Russian, Romansh, Arabic and more

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm British and I've never heard bung used like that! Though I freely admit to not reading the Sun! :lol:
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:33 pm

MamaPata wrote:I'm British and I've never heard bung used like that! Though I freely admit to not reading the Sun! :lol:
What part of the country are you from?

(I'm from SE England, and I've heard bung=bribe)
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:54 am

DaveBee wrote:
MamaPata wrote:I'm British and I've never heard bung used like that! Though I freely admit to not reading the Sun! :lol:

Also from SE England
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:03 pm

MamaPata wrote:
DaveBee wrote:

Also from SE England

I don't read the Sun either, but the word was on the front page of The Times, and I saw it in The Guardian, The Independent and The Daily Telegraph, all on the same day. So hardly just a typical "Sun"-word.

Life is full of coincidences. Having come across the word in said newspapers in the morning, in the evening I read a few chapters of Ian Rankin's Rebus-novel "Even Dogs in the Wild", and lo and behold, I came over a sentence about a gangster who only dealt with police officers when he was pushing "bungs under the table".
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)

Postby Ogrim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Last night I visited HTLAL for the first time in many months. and it truly is an abandoned house, but with a lot of nice and useful old "furniture" intact. To revive old memories, I also visited my own log, and I see my last posting there was on 10 July 2015 - time goes fast!

I mention this because in one post in that log I talked about a Russian comedy group called Уральские пельмени, and lately I have spent a little bit of time on Youtube watching some of their sketches. I realise I understand a lot more of the dialogues now than two years ago (it would be worrying if I didn't), but I still don't get all of the jokes, either because they speak too fast, or use words I don't understand, or perhaps I do not always have the cultural context to make sense of it. Overall though I find their stuff enjoyable and some sketches are relatively easy to understand at my level of Russian, like this one which I watched earlier this week: Свадьба - Ура! Стипенсия!

2 x
Ich grolle nicht

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:23 pm

or perhaps I do not always have the cultural context to make sense of it.

I guess that is it. For example, to fully appreciate this sketch about a wedding you have to see those тетенек из ЗАГСа* in "action" at least once :mrgreen:

*I mean that long-speaking lady. I don't know how to translate correctly a 'ЗАГС' into English :oops: , it's a place where people get married.
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:43 pm

I don't know about other English speaking countries but in the UK the equivalent to ЗАГС would be "registry office".
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Ogrim wrote:Last night I visited HTLAL for the first time in many months. and it truly is an abandoned house, but with a lot of nice and useful old "furniture" intact. To revive old memories, I also visited my own log, and I see my last posting there was on 10 July 2015 - time goes fast!

I've also visited HTLAL recently! It started a short while ago when Systematiker posted a link to one of the Arguelles threads about Slavic languages, and then I've read other great topics from beginning to end.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Ogrim
Brown Belt

Postby Ogrim » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 am

aaleks wrote:
or perhaps I do not always have the cultural context to make sense of it.

I guess that is it. For example, to fully appreciate this sketch about a wedding you have to see those тетенек из ЗАГСа* in "action" at least once :mrgreen:

*I mean that long-speaking lady. I don't know how to translate correctly a 'ЗАГС' into English :oops: , it's a place where people get married.

I've read about ЗАГС but never been to one, obviously. I have however been to lots of weddings in Europe (both religious and non-religious) and I know how tedious the speeches can be. Anyway, I did enjoy that wedding sketch, but of course I don't have the same references as you Russians do.

By the way, I thought that тётенька is a familiar word for тетка but now I understand you can also use it referring to a woman who is not your aunt?

In France people get married at the town hall, la mairie
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:55 am

Ogrim wrote:By the way, I thought that тётенька is a familiar word for тетка but now I understand you can also use it referring to a woman who is not your aunt?

I prefer to call my aunts тётя. Тетка sounds a bit rude to me and associates with a big, loud, unpleasant woman.
In other cases - yes, we call any woman тетя, тетка, тетенька (or дядя, дядька, дяденька speaking about a man) depending on circumstances, but it's mostly just a way of speaking (colloquial). You can say something like вот та тётенька в синем платье, but it will be better not to address that (or any other) тётенька in person this way :mrgreen: , at least if you are not a little kid :D . Тетенька is a kids' word. But it also can to convey a certain sub-meaning. Тетенька из ЗАГСа is not just a woman it's a character :lol:
2 x

Return to “Language logs”