Ogrim's Krambu - a plethora of languages, mostly European, both old and new

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Ogrim's language experiences - Russian, Romansh, Romanian, Arabic and more

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:07 am

Sorry for your loss, Ogrim.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:08 am

My sincere condolences to you and your family, Ogrim.
2 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, Ogrim. It's never easy, even if you can see it coming, and even if a grand age is reached. Sometimes it can seem like the time we have together is never enough, and it isn't.

On the other hand it sounds as though you had a beautiful time in Seville. I really loved spending time there on our travels ten years back.

Edited to delete accidental duplicate of the message
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:14 pm

Thanks to all of you for your condolences. One great thing about this forum is that we can share personal experiences and expect sympathy and understanding from each other.

I am getting more and more "sucked" into Latin lately, to the point that it is taking a lot of my study time to the detriment of other languages. I find that Latin is both easy and difficult - easy because I know several Romance languages and you can often infer a lot from them. Difficult because the grammar and syntax is complex, especially with many classical writers, and there is quite a number of important words than have not survived in modern Romance languages, so you cannot just rely on your Italian and Spanish. You have to study both grammar and vocabulary actively. I have the advantage of one year full-time study of Latin at university, but that was more than 30 years ago, and since then my renewed interest in the language only came along some four-five years ago when my children started with Latin in school. I must say that thanks to discovering Latinitium and the work of its creator Daniel Petersson, I've managed to progress in Latin much more in a few months than I did during a whole year at university, where the professors followed the old method of grammar analysis and translation from and to Latin. Hearing Latin spoken, even with a Swedish accent ;) , has made a big difference.

I've realised that the title of this log is actually a bit misleading. I had a brief "fling" with Romanian a couple of years ago but it did not last, and right now Arabic is on hold. Russian continues to be important, but my focus has shifted lately to Latin, Classical Greek and Dutch. I don't want to change the title every time I shift focus to different languages though (because that happens regularly) so I invite you to give me ideas for a more general title that is both original and indicative of what languages I am working on. Maybe the winner gets a price? :D

PeterMollenburg wrote:On the other hand it sounds as though you had a beautiful time in Seville. I really loved spending time there on our travels ten years back and like a true language nerd finding the filming locations of Destinos. I'll have to look up La piel del tambor and read it some day in Spanish!

I just learnt the other day that they are making a film of the novel La piel del tambor, due to be released later this year. I am hopeful that they will stick to the book and they don't change the plot or the ending - I am often disappointed by film versions of books I like, but at least the scenery should be great, as mostly it is filmed on location in Seville.
9 x
Ich grolle nicht

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:12 pm

Ogrim wrote:I don't want to change the title every time I shift focus to different languages though (because that happens regularly) so I invite you to give me ideas for a more general title that is both original and indicative of what languages I am working on.

Ogrim's Log - Running out of Indo-European Languages to Learn :D
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:36 pm

"Ogrim's Koldtbord". I was thinking "smörgåsbord", but that's Swedish.
4 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:42 am

"Ogrim's Language Smattering" ;)

I also want to give my condolences for your loss.
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)

Postby Ogrim » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:52 pm

lichtrausch wrote:Ogrim's Log - Running out of Indo-European Languages to Learn :D

Nice one, but not really true, as I still have to learn most Slavic languages, Albanian, Armenian, the IE Baltic languages, not to mention Hindi and Farsi. :o Your proposal would be more appropriate for Iversen's log.

iguanamon wrote:"Ogrim's Koldtbord". I was thinking "smörgåsbord", but that's Swedish.

I've got nothing against Swedish. ;) Good suggestion, but the thing is Norwegians don't use the word Koldtbord very much nowadays, we have instead adopted the international "buffet".

Xenops wrote:"Ogrim's Language Smattering" ;)

Not bad either, but according to my dictionary "smattering" is a very small amount of something, and I do have ambitions to know more than a smattering of the languages I start studying. :geek:

So, more suggestions are welcome, before I make up my mind.
0 x
Ich grolle nicht

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:34 pm

'To infinity and beyond' from Toy story.
Because of the stars, the number and variety of the languages, and because although you could, you don't take yourself too seriously.
4 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt

Postby Ogrim » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pm

So I still haven't changed the name of my log, although I appreciate the suggestions made. Also it seems I am back to my old (bad) habit of writing here once a month. It's been a busy month, both our kids came back for a week or two and when they are here my study routines are always somewhat disrupted. Work has also been hectic, certain world events have had a very direct impact on my daily job and we are still dealing with the consequences of that.

Still I continue with my studies of Latin, Greek, Dutch and Russian as best I can. Apart from the excellent resource that is Legentibus for reading and listening to Latin, I have also found the website of the Vatican to be an interesting resource. They publish a lot of official texts in multiple languages, including Latin of course, and as it is a rather straightforward Latin prose, and you can cross-reference the same text in English, French, Italian, Spanish, German etc. etc. I find it really useful as an additional source for reading.

My forays into Classical Greek have slowed down somewhat, but I am well underway with reading Greek and I've decided to start working on Volume II of ATHENAZE - Introduzione al greco Antico. This course has been recommended by Luke from Polymathy on YouTube, and it does look promising. It is a fat book, over 500 pages when you count the reference grammar and the vocabulary lists at the end, so it will give me plenty of text to work on.

I've also bought Lucian's The Ass - an intermediate Greek reader, edited by Evan Hayes and Stephen Nimis. I'll wait a bit before starting on it, but it seems to be well made. The text is broken down into "digestible" segments followed by vocabulary lists and grammar points.

As for Dutch and Russian, it is mostly reading and watching stuff on YouTube.
11 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “Language logs”