Xe-Chan's Official Polyglotism Language Log (East Asian Language Focus)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Xe-Chan's Official Polyglotism Language Log (East Asian Language Focus)

Postby Xelian » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 pm

I am starting a new Language Log as a celebration of completing my time as an undergrad!

For my previous Language Log, click here: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4705 (though it is a bit disorganized, you can follow the "previous logs" url's all the way back to my HTLAL Language Logs)

Here are my language learning milestones thus far. This is essentially my language learning story and a back-up of my previous LLF and old HTLAL logs.

Spanish (First exposure)
??/??/02 - Started grade school in New Mexico. Many students spoke Spanish, and we had some hours which were spent learning some basic Spanish, but these were few and far in between. Most of my exposure was from hearing other students speak in Spanish.

Japanese (First exposure)
??/??/06 - Began taking Karate lessons. We learned how to count to 10 in Japanese, some other basic Japanese words, and some Japanese history. This intrigued me even as a young child. I took Karate for about 4 years.

Spanish (Beginner)
08/??/09 - Started school at a really bad middle school. The only thing I really enjoyed was the Spanish class, followed by the art class and then the English class. I had always excelled at English and art, and also did really well in my Spanish class. I had to stop taking Spanish when I moved to my new school, however, as they wouldn't let me take two languages at once.

Swedish (First exposure)
??/??/09? - My friend/neighbor exposed me to the Swedish electronic pop artist, Basshunter. His music is STILL my favorite, to this day.

My Passion for Japanese - Japanese (Beginner - Lower Intermediate)
09/07/10 - Began taking Japanese after transferring to a new middle-high school. I decided that I could always learn Spanish later, as I lived in New Mexico at the time, and thought, "Wow, the opportunity to take Japanese is so rare!" and so... I took Japanese here for about three years. I fell in love with the language and culture even further. After school and during the summers, I would study Japanese on my own. I studied kanji and wrote journals on lang-8 the most, and this helped me skip to a higher level Japanese class my second year.
08/??/11 - Skipped to the third level Japanese course. (still very basic Japanese, but higher than the second level).
08/??/12 - Prepared for the Japan trip that was happening at the end of the school year. I studied Japanese really hard in the fourth level Japanese course they offered.
05/22/13 - My first trip to Japan. We stayed for two weeks, and I couldn't have been more ecstatic. We went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Okayama, and Tottori.

Korean Media & Chinese Friend - Korean (First exposure); Mandarin (First exposure)
09/27/11 - My friends exposed me to K-pop. I decided to start learning Korean after discovering Korean dramas. I mostly watched YouTube videos, tried to learn hangul and some basic phrases.
07/28/13 - Started looking at the "How to Study Korean" website on July 28th, 2013, but didn't get past the first few lessons. I also met someone who spoke Chinese. I became interested in Mandarin after doing some research on the different languages in China, and listened to a few Pimsleur tapes.

Japanese (Lower Intermediate - Intermediate)
07/??/13 - Came back from Japan and took a Japanese 111 class at the community college during the summer. The instructor let me skip the first week of the course because I was in Japan. I found this class to be extremely easy. What was important though is that I memorized a good amount of vocabulary from the Genki I book from taking this course.
08/??/13 - I was accepted to a dual credit program, and was taking most of my classes at the community college for high school AND college credit. This unfortunately meant that my Japanese progress was slowed, as my work load got more intense. The college offered up to 2nd year Japanese, but due to lack of interest from students, only classes 111 and 112 were offered while I attended. I took 112 the Fall semester, and completed Genki I.

Bulgarian (First exposure - Beginner)
10/??/13 - Met an American who was half Bulgarian. We became close and I started to learn the language when I learned that his mother was fluent in it. I spent some time with the Bulgarian community around my city. But, the majority of my learning was online and on my own time with the FSI program (starting cyrillic on April 2nd, 2014, UniLang on July 7th, 2014 (completed), and FSI on July 26th, 2014.) I also studied briefly in the summer of 2015 (Bulgarian Language for Foreigners on YouTube). We have gone our separate ways, but I still have interest in the language (and also related languages).

American Sign Language (First exposure - Beginner)
08/25/14 - I decided that since I knew I was interested in languages in general that I could take an ASL course. They also canceled the Mandarin 101 class I was planning to take (due to lack of enrollment from students), so I couldn't start any studies in Mandarin. The ASL course was challenging, and I didn't expect an A, but I got it. I only took sign language for 4 months, but I enjoyed it and would definitely continue at some point.

Big Language Learning Steps
09/07/14: Joined HTLAL as "Techan" and began writing language logs. My first one was a Bulgarian, Japanese, and ASL log, (08/17/14) focusing on "input" and "output" as I called it, which lasted for around 16 weeks.
02/07/15 - This was around the time of my crazy polyglot experience. Main focuses: Japanese-Korean-Mandarin-Bulgarian-ASL-Swedish -- Moderate focuses: Arabic-Armenian-German-Russian -- Barely focused on: Vietnamese-Greek
Here's my silly video I made about learning languages, I MOSTLY talk about my own experiences, Benny Lewis, and Laoshu, but I am discussing, not necessarily agreeing with Benny Lewis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie51nqD_hcw But I believe this video is a big step in my realization of my passion for language learning.
03/19/15 - Accepted to the University of Washington. I had to choose between this college, UC Boulder, and University of Hawaii at Manoa. I chose UW because of it's "prestigious" East Asian Linguistics & Literatures program.

Korean (Beginner); Japanese (Intermediate to Upper Intermediate)
09/27/15 - Started taking Korean 101. I wasn't able to sign up for Japanese 211 because of testing and registration complications. I wrote a language log on HTLAL titled "Genki II - Autumn 2015". I had to study chapters 13, 14, and 15 on my own for the Japanese 211 final in order to get into Japanese 212, as I wasn't allowed to register for the course. My last post of that language log is as follows: (12/15/15) "Fantastic news --- I passed the final and got into the 212 Japanese class!!! I did it!"
01/04/16 - Started taking Korean 102, but had to drop it a few weeks into the course. I took Japanese 212, with a bit of struggle as I was depressed during this time with little motivation and a severe case of oversleeping (particularly during winter), but I still learned exponentially. We got through chapters 16-19 in 10 weeks.
01/28/17 - Officially majoring in Japanese.
04/??/16 - We went through the entire Genki II book in Japanese 213 (save the last chapter). Here's my language log on it, which is here on LLF: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2549

Japanese (Upper Intermediate); Hindi, Tibetan (First exposure)
06/18/16 - Started learning from "Tobira" over the summer. I gained interest in Hindi and Tibetan over the summer, Hindi due to eating out at Indian restaurants, and Tibetan due to going to a meditation event at a Tibetan Buddhism temple. I only started to learn the Hindi alphabet. I am planning to study these two languages at another time. Here's my language log for it, on LLF: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2984

Japanese (Upper Intermediate); Swedish (Beginner)
09/27/16 - Began the year with Japanese 311. Great teacher, lots of cool materials from Tobira, and a short break from depression.
09/27/16 - Started taking Swedish 101, due to interest not only in their pop music, but also their politics. I hate politics, but whenever I hear about Sweden's politics, I'm pleasantly surprised. I also think it's a really interesting language to learn, as it's a language close to English.
01/03/17 - Started taking Japanese 312. Still with Tobira, starting at chapter 4. Still at an upper intermediate level with Japanese.
01/03/17 - Started taking Swedish 102. Making some big strides in the understanding of basic Swedish.

Japanese (Upper Intermediate); Swedish (Beginner - Lower Intermediate)
02/??/17 - BI/TRILINGUAL DREAMS... I started dreaming Japanese and Swedish A LOT. It's almost like something in my brain clicked and realized that the two were actually languages, strangely enough. I'm not sure if it was the Swedish that triggered the Japanese, or if the Japanese triggered the Swedish, or if just taking the classes everyday in partial immersion was the cause, but I dreamt about hearing and understanding both at around the same time, possibly even in the same night. Though, the Swedish at first wasn't coherent, it was just a bunch of jumbled words that sounded like Swedish. Dreams are really interesting! I think this is the point that I could really tell that my bi/trilingual/polyglotism was actually real. I was very excited when having dreams like this became the norm.
03/27/17 - Started taking Japanese 313. Still with Tobira, starting at chapter 7. Still at an upper intermediate level with Japanese, but definitely coming to a point where I will get to some advanced material (though I won't be considered advanced to many until I can solidify my Japanese with real-life immersion).
03/27/17 - Started Swedish 103. Swedish is finally getting hard. We're getting to some intermediate materials, but I still can't say that I am "intermediate" with Swedish, so I'll settle with "lower intermediate".
05/03/17 - Officially minoring in Swedish.
6/??/17 - Completion of Swedish 103, Japanese 313.
6/14 - 6/28/17 - TRIP TO KYOTO, JAPAN. I practiced Japanese with native speakers everyday for 2 weeks.

Spanish (Beginner - Upper Beginner)
??/??/17 - Interest in Spanish arises
6/??/17 - Japanese (Upper Intermediate); Swedish (Upper Beginner - Lower Intermediate); Spanish (Upper Beginner) - Did some dabbling with these

Arabic (First Exposure - Beginner)
2/09/15 - Interest in Arabic began while I was on my polyglotism rampage in 2015. I studied the alphabet and wrote it all out, but didn't get far with it.
9/04/17 - Interest in Arabic rekindled after taking a DNA test. Working on the alphabet, and working on finding more resources~ Interested in going to a middle eastern store at some point.
(NOTE: I am starting with the classical language but will be moving on to Egyptian Arabic and possibly other dialects too)

Some Summer Dabbling and Planning (Japanese, Swedish, Spanish, Arabic)
6/??/17 - Japanese (Upper Intermediate); Swedish (Upper Beginner - Lower Intermediate); Spanish (Upper Beginner) - Did some dabbling with these
7/01 - 9/04/17 - Not a lot done but some significant Memrise in Spanish and some Japanese dabbling
9/4/17 - Interest in Arabic rekindled (from the beginning of 2015). Also studying some Japanese and Spanish. Created the "speed-memorization technique" but am still refining it at this point.
9/9/17 - Creation of my very own "Bullet Journal for Language Learning" (My inspiration is from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT605QsOSNA) I'll be using it to track my days of language studying, my language goals, and, instead of disorganized posts, write a weekly/monthly summarizing post here.

The Final Stretch - Japanese (Upper Intermediate - Lower Advanced); Swedish (Lower Intermediate – Upper Intermediate)
9/27/17 – Started Japanese 431 (Readings in Modern Japanese Literature) a comparatively worse Japanese class. Also started Swedish 201.
12/20/17 – Completed Japanese 431, Swedish 201.
1/3/18 – Depression slowly became unbearable again. Started Japanese 432 (Readings in Modern Japanese Literature pt 2) which was the absolute worst class I have had in my entire life. I almost didn't pass that one. Also started Japanese 471 (Classical Japanese) which I thoroughly enjoyed, and Swedish 202.
5/9/18 – Completed Japanese 432, 437, and Swedish 202.
5/26/18 – Began Japanese 472 (Classical Japanese pt 2) and Swedish 203. Depression ensued and I finally sought medical help. With the stress of this being my final quarter at University, I was dragging myself through and didn't really enjoy much of anything.
6/5/18 – Completed my first original translation of an excerpt in the Classical Japanese text, 枕草子. Completed Japanese 472 and Swedish 203.
6/9/18 – Officially graduated from UW with a BA in Japanese Linguistics and a Swedish Language and Literature Minor.
7/17/18 – Decided to graduate my previous language log https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4705 and begin this one.
NOTE This current language log starts where this (linked) language log ends. What is written as follows was added in after starting this current log.

Studying for the JLPT (N2) and Some Dabbling - Japanese (Lower Advanced - Advanced); Swedish (Upper Intermediate); Mandarin (Beginner); Korean (Beginner)
7/19/18 - Began studying for the JLPT, first by reviewing N3 materials; time dedicated to reviewing Swedish
7/27/18 - Some attempt to study Korean again
7/31/18 - Interest in Mandarin revived
8/29/18 - Registered for the JLPT N2
9/2/18 - Started studying mostly for the N2 exam instead of the N3
10/2/18 - Studying only for the JLPT N2
12/2/18 - Took the JLPT N2
01/23/19 - Didn't pass the JLPT N2 after years of dedication to Japanese.

Mandarin (Official Beginner)
9/23/19 - Finally able to take a class for Mandarin! I started a new program of study at a “community college” which offers 4 year degrees. I am getting my second Bachelor's (most of my credits transferred from UW) and decided to try Mandarin like I always wanted to do (but not doing another language major).
12/11/19 - Completed the class with a 4.0, and made close friends with my teacher, who is from Shanghai. I was unable to take the class for winter quarter, but I still want to continue with my casual studying of the language, as it enhances my knowledge of other languages which it had influence on.

BREAK FROM LANGUAGES
12/11/2019 – 04/03/2020

Officially Staying at Home (because it's the apocalypse)
What else am I going to do except pour all of my free time into language learning? Haha. In all seriousness, I am also taking all college classes for my degree online, and have the privilege of continuing my job from home. We will see how much free time I will actually have...

Vietnamese (Official Beginner), South East Asian Langs
02/07/15 - Interest in Vietnamese began while I was on my polyglotism rampage in 2015. If I recall, I only watched a video to try and learn the sounds of the alphabet. Additionally around this time, I found a video of Terry He singing in 4 languages, starting with Vietnamese. I found this video recently again and realized his video has a special place in my heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0k_SGV1SMs
02/27/2020 - Became friends with someone who speaks Vietnamese, whose family is from Southern Vietnam. I was piqued by the differences and similarities between East Asian languages and culture and South East Asian ones, and I have been compelled to prioritize learning Vietnamese.
09/26/2020 - Have been meeting a whole lot of people from South East Asia or with some association to the region. I started researching the differences in Indonesian and Malaysian Malay, and became interested in other languages in the region such as Thai.

BREAK FROM LANGUAGES
10/??/2021 - 8/19/2021

Unfortunately, as lockdown continued, other than work and school, I spent all of my time pouring my heart into a relationship which did not end up working out. But I am back on my feet and ready to start again.

Main Focus: Japanese (Lower Advanced - Advanced)
8/19/2021 - While I will still think to study other languages, I feel the need to buckle down and really study Japanese again after a few years of being quite unsure of my abilities (because of my draining university experience and failing the JLPT N2). The pandemic put me through a lot of things I didn't think I'd experience, but the healing process has given me more strength than ever. I feel ready to resume my dedication to Japanese alongside my chosen career path of becoming a clinical mental health counselor. It will be a lot of work, but I think that I should continue to give respect to my interests and see where I can go with them.

Next language log located here:https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14193&sid=8703f734e144316ee7ba4c4dd6a049c4
Last edited by Xelian on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:19 am, edited 9 times in total.
12 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: Xe-Chan's Official Polyglotism Language Log (East Asian Language Focus)

Postby eido » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 am

I watched your video. You're cute, and you make good points. *clap clap* Good in my book.

I'm excited to see you conquer all these languages. You obviously put a lot more thought into your major than I did when I first graduated high school, or even before that. Congratulations on your degree. It's something to be proud of, friend. I don't think I'll ever commit to learning Japanese, so I'll live vicariously through you. Non... creepily. Ha. :oops:
1 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi

Postby Xelian » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 pm

For today's log, I'll be listing some of my goals, some methods I'll be using, and some additional resources (some of which can also be found on the East Asian Study Group resources list: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5145)

For the next 137 days I'll likely be pretty active on LLF (days until the JLPT) so I thought I'd list some things to remember for studying:

LANGUAGE GOALS:
1. Practicing Japanese everyday
2. Getting through some N3-N2 JLPT materials (with a focus on N2)
3. Studying off and on languages (so far that is Korean, Mandarin, and Swedish) at least one day per week

SOME METHODS:
1. Speed memorizing (explained in my previous Language Log)
2. Reading the Steve Kaufmann way (LingQ)
3. Journals, Lang-8
3. Language partners

SOME RESOURCES:
General Resources: Quizlet, Memrise, Lang-8, LingQ, YouTube, library books, Italki
The Main 4
Japanese: Nihongo no Mori N3-N2 on Youtube, Kotoba Discord bot, mainichikanji.com
Korean: Lingodeer (TOPIK Korean), TOPIK 1 App, Online Intermediate College Korean, Viki/Drama Fever, You Speak Korean!, Pimsleur
Mandarin: Allsetlearning, Lingodeer (HSK Chinese), Viki/Drama Fever, Pimsleur
Swedish: svt.se (barnkanalen), svt Nyheter, Duolingo
The Others
Arabic: I primarily have been using YouTube to learn the writing system, but have found Memrise to be useful as well.
Vietnamese: I am very tempted to start out using LingoDeer.
Spanish: I use Duolingo and Memrise, because I have taken my whole life to just learn basic Spanish :lol:
German: I know there is a Duolingo and a beta version out on LingoDeer.
(Will update accordingly)

Hopefully everyone is having a swell summer ~
Last edited by Xelian on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:40 pm

It's been a little over a week since my last update so I think I'll check in now.

So far I've studied 4/10 days that I've been gone, mostly due to being busy with settling my next living location and with a trip I'm currently on. I think I have an idea of how I will approach studying the rest of this summer though at least.

Since I'll be taking the JLPT, my main focus language will be Japanese. I plan to practice 5 different skills as follows for Japanese. Ideally everyday, but perhaps it would be more do-able if I had a specific day for each skill required (and can practice additional skills each day if time allows for it).

Reading - Mondays and Tuesdays
Writing - Wednesdays
Listening - Thursdays
Speaking/Review - Fridays
JLPT Prep - Saturdays and Sundays

So far... last week I did writing. This week I've done reading and writing.

For my studying off and on languages, to which I may add Arabic (Classical and Egyptian) at some point, it's every skill besides JLPT Prep (obviously).

Last week I did minimally with my off and on languages, I only did a little bit of reviewing Swedish. This week, I wrote a page of Swedish, and am planing to do some stuff with my other off and on languages.

I'll assign a language to each day as a goal, but I'll likely switch it around sometimes.

Japanese - Saturdays Sundays (everyday is the goal but I will be trying to do at least the weekends)
Korean - Mondays, Fridays
Mandarin - Tuesdays, Thursdays
Swedish - Wednesdays

I'm also attempting to keep a journal to track which days I did what. It is the same concept as mentioned in the first post as reported from last summer, "Bullet Journal for Language Learning". This is what it looks like so far for this summer, hopefully it will get more colorful soon!!!

langlog.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post an update for my Language Bullet Journal. I've added some extra features to my chart so that it's easier to document what I did which week, along with some suggestions of what languages I should study what days. (So far I'm just doing whatever I feel like that day :lol: )

oh1.JPG

Key:
-Colored stripes on the dates correlate to what language(s) I studied on that particular day.
-Colored dots on the right-hand side correlate to what skill(s) I practiced for what language(s). The only limitation to this is it tracks what I did that week, but not what I did daily.
-The "JLPT" skill indicates if I studied for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test that week.
-The numbers in between the calendar days and the dots indicate which week I am on (out of 20 weeks).

My attention has been officially caught by the Nihongo no Mori lessons, I'm able to focus on them and learn a lot from them. That's the majority of the Japanese I've been doing this week, along with writing on Lang-8.

My brain feels fried after my last study session, but I might practice another language later today and add more details for the 31st. (Chart is subject to change).

I'll post another update soon!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Hello again,

I know I just posted my progress a couple days ago, but I was thinking that maybe I could record more in detail what exactly I've been doing with my languages lately.

Japanese:
- So far, I've made it through 10/38 Nihongo no Mori N3 videos. A lot of it is review, but the few grammar points I didn't know of were fairly important ones. I'm planning to pick up the pace if I can so I can get to the N2 videos at least by September.
- I opened my N2 practice exam, but other than that I haven't tried it out. I want to try it after I am done with the Nihongo no Mori videos.
- I'm not doing too much with reading real books, but I'm trying to. I have a manga and a novel I'm working on slowly but haven't gotten further than a couple pages this summer. I plan to pick up the pace if I can.
- I wrote an entry on Lang-8, mostly just for reference of what I've learned from Nihongo no Mori. I heard that they stopped allowing new accounts on Lang-8 and it really concerned me... Maybe that's why I'm no longer getting multiple corrections?? I do hope Lang-8 stays up and running, it's arguably the most useful resource I've had through my language learning.

Korean:
- I found LingoDeer and think it is amazing. I am through 1.6% of the course as of yesterday.
- I found a Korean phrasebook for 50 cents at a thrift store and I think it's actually pretty useful, so I've been looking through that.
- I was trying to do some Memrise on my computer, but realized that windows doesn't have any easy to type form of romanized Hangul keyboard, so I'll be trying to continue my Memrise sets on my phone.

Mandarin:
- Earlier in the summer I was watching "Autumn's Concerto" which is a Taiwanese drama, but got extremely fed up with the pacing and quit for a while. I'll likely start it again at some point, lol.
- I've barely started LingoDeer Chinese (I'm at 0.6%), but I already like it, aside from the really strange stroke order type practices they have. I don't really like those, particularly because you have to draw it one stroke at a time and it takes a long time to process each stroke. Might as well just do it on paper.

Swedish:
- I'm almost done with my Swedish set on Memrise, but keep letting it go to review before I can finish it.
- I was able to write a personal journal entry in Swedish, it was a lot of fun.

That's it for now!
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Lang8 hasn't accepted new registrations since early 2017 so I think it's inevitable that the community on the website will die :(

Italki has a similar service buried on their site, and it is free to use. My experience is that it's typical to just get 1 correction on Italki as well. However, because Italki accepts registrations, that community has the potential to grow, whereas the lang8 community can only shrink.
0 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:07 pm

You can click on the sign up button but it takes you to an apology that sign ups are currently suspended.
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:59 pm

devilyoudont wrote:Lang8 hasn't accepted new registrations since early 2017 so I think it's inevitable that the community on the website will die :(

Italki has a similar service buried on their site, and it is free to use. My experience is that it's typical to just get 1 correction on Italki as well. However, because Italki accepts registrations, that community has the potential to grow, whereas the lang8 community can only shrink.

Ah, what a sad thing to hear, as I much prefer Lang-8 over Italki... Does anyone know why Lang-8 stopped accepting new registrations?
0 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 am

My understanding is that they weren't able to deal with bots registering on the site and posting spam, and their other service HiNative is more profitable.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”