zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: Anki song cards - my short guide

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:58 am

emk wrote:Anyway, once I got the kinks out importing 900 cards at a go, the next lesson I had to learn was aggressive card deletion! Even a few bad cards can really destroy the whole Anki experience (because they keep getting failed and recycling), and hey, subs2srs cards are cheap—I can always make another 900 or so with a few hours work. :-) So if I look at a card and groan, "Oh, no, not again," it's gone.

Did you also have the experience of remembering any word easier because of deleting the card? (Wouldn't be as "contradicting" as it may seem :)).
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:00 am

Jar-Ptitsa wrote:ich habe als Gärtner-assistentin gearbeitet, und ich interessiere mich viel in die Architektur der Häuser, nicht nur der Gärten. es kombiniert so wunderbar Kunst mit Mathe, ästhetische und funktionelle auch zB Geologie und die Geschichte.

Fällt dir (das ist das Internet-Du ;)) auch ein konkretes Beispiel für eine solche Kombination ein?
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: Cloze Karaoke - Anki Song Bits

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:03 am

zenmonkey wrote:I've been wanting to use music and spoken poetry as study tools for German because this is one area where I feel that understanding the subtleties of the language is necessary - it will push me further and I greatly enjoy word play.

Diese feinen Schattierungen und Nuancen zu erkennen und zu verstehen ist einer der More Challenging Aspects des Lernens einer beliebigen Sprache. Mit z.B. Englisch bin ich hier schon viel weiter als beim Spanischen, da gibt es immer noch so einige puzzles/"mysteries" waiting to be unraveled.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:09 am

Jar-Ptitsa wrote:Hi zenmonkey :)

I will read your log.

Viel Erfolg mit deinem Deutsch. ich denke, dass du damals damit angefangen bist als wir auf htlal geschrieben haben, oder? Wie findest du es in Deutschland zu arbeiten? Wie du weißt, sind wir hier in England mit der Arbeit meines Vaters, und es ist irgendwie toll im Ausland zu sein, aber in London wohnen auch ganz viele Franzosen.

Ich hoffe, dass eine Antwort von mir auf dieses Post nicht als Conversation Hijacking empfunden wird :). Wenn ja, dann bitte einfach sagen, ich lerne sehr gerne immer mehr über die verschiedenen Perspektiven.

Aber ich denke, dass das hier auch ZM interessieren könnte.

Was machen so viele Franzosen in London? Habe ja nicht so den großen Überblick darüber, wer alles wo wohnt [slightly colloquial]. Natürlich gibt es unterschiedliche Beweggründe für einen Wohnsitzwechsel. Aber gibt es vielleicht auch ein häufig vorkommendes Muster/Schema?
(Something like a re-occurring Pattern of French People Living In London Behavior ;).)
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:13 am

zenmonkey wrote:Language relevant background:
  • I’m an old fart in the language learning arena - I started at an early age and was on HTLAL since 2006.
  • I live in between Germany and France and travel almost weekly to one or the other.[...]

If I could, I would even ask you about your reason for traveling almost weekly. :). But in addition to not knowing if you do it any more, I also wouldn't want to ask too many (possibly very personal) questions.

What I do like do ask you is how you perceived that frequent switch from one country to another. Related to the change of the behavior/attitude/etc. of the people surrounding you.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Re: German and Strategies

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:20 am

zenmonkey wrote:
SGP wrote:[...] What is your way of gamification?

Mine is doing the same language learning activities I could be doing, too, if I never would have heard of the word "gamification" before. [...]
Gamification is a term to describe turning an activity into a game with score, points or streaks in order to drive a competitive spirit, compliance of use or frequency of use.
Could be that you are simply explaining the meaning because this is a public post rather than a PM. As for me personally, I wrote "... if I never would have heard of the word "gamification" before." ;).

It is often used in learning apps - memrise, duolingo and many other learning tools use a "game like" interface for this reason. I can be useful to drive use, but it can also make the user focus on the game-like qualities rather than the learning experience.
I use duolingo, drops, memrise and my own development for some things...
Now that fully does answer my question on your way of gamification.
The one I am using is simply continuing to learn languages, without doing anything additional like even writing down my current _____ [Swahili/Nihongo/...] score or anything. Doing it within a framework of joy and passion, that would be all.

Yes, I was talking about active grammar study. Which I personally feel is always somewhat necessary (even in my native languages) unless you are ok with fossilising non-standard registers.

Being a non-native of English, just wondered if I got you right. "Fossilising non-standard registers" = "fossilising non-standard language usage, like something that isn't in accordance with the Standard Grammar"?
0 x

Log

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:24 pm

SGP wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:Mord mit Aussicht is really charming and fun. Not the kind of thing I would typically watch in English, but still totally recommended.

Any "non-spoiling" very brief description?
(And yes, I could just use a search engine. But simply [a bit] curious what would be the first words that you would mention).

Big city cop moves into the countryside to live with her irascible father and investigate the inordinate amount of rural crime. Hijinks ensue.

Kind of a Murder She Wrote, Northern Exposure light comedy.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:50 am

SGP wrote:Being a non-native of English, just wondered if I got you right. "Fossilising non-standard registers" = "fossilising non-standard language usage, like something that isn't in accordance with the Standard Grammar"?

Yes.

zenmonkey wrote:Language relevant background:
  • I’m an old fart in the language learning arena - I started at an early age and was on HTLAL since 2006.
  • I live in between Germany and France and travel almost weekly to one or the other.[...]

If I could, I would even ask you about your reason for traveling almost weekly. :). But in addition to not knowing if you do it any more, I also wouldn't want to ask too many (possibly very personal) questions.

What I do like do ask you is how you perceived that frequent switch from one country to another. Related to the change of the behavior/attitude/etc. of the people surrounding you.

I reside mostly in Germany, my daughters are in mostly in two/three cities in France. Hence the travel.
As to behavior and attitude - yes, they certainly differ but I don’t attach those differences particularly to nationality but to individuals and experience. And this forum is not the place to make generalizations of that sort anyway.
0 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 am

zenmonkey wrote:As to behavior and attitude - yes, they certainly differ but I don’t attach those differences particularly to nationality but to individuals and experience.

As it is no secret, there are many, many factors involved :). The different personalities aren't shaped by their country only.

And this forum is not the place to make generalizations of that sort anyway.

Just in case that what I wrote caused a certain impression (asking you for this kind of generalizations), I didn't intend to cause it. I am simply someone who, y'know, tries to look at the Bigger Picture as much as possible (that's why I keep not one, but two logs, about communication, society, and so on).

Es hat auch in meinem eigenen Leben sehr viele Fälle gegeben, in denen z.B. bestimmte "Klischees" eben nicht erfüllt wurden. Es gibt viele Franzosen, die vollkommen fließend Englisch sprechen, Deutsche, die kein Sauerkraut mögen, Italiener, die vollständig auf Pizza verzichten, etc., etc. Ich denke, es ist klar, was ich damit sagen möchte.
0 x

Log

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:16 am

SGP wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:As to behavior and attitude - yes, they certainly differ but I don’t attach those differences particularly to nationality but to individuals and experience.

As it is no secret, there are many, many factors involved :). The different personalities aren't shaped by their country only.

And this forum is not the place to make generalizations of that sort anyway.

Just in case that what I wrote caused a certain impression (asking you for this kind of generalizations), I didn't intend to cause it. I am simply someone who, y'know, tries to look at the Bigger Picture as much as possible (that's why I keep not one, but two logs, about communication, society, and so on).

Es hat auch in meinem eigenen Leben sehr viele Fälle gegeben, in denen z.B. bestimmte "Klischees" eben nicht erfüllt wurden. Es gibt viele Franzosen, die vollkommen fließend Englisch sprechen, Deutsche, die kein Sauerkraut mögen, Italiener, die vollständig auf Pizza verzichten, etc., etc. Ich denke, es ist klar, was ich damit sagen möchte.

You did not make a negative impression for asking that question - it just isn't a discussion for the website, nor one I'm interested in pursuing.
0 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

Return to “Language logs”