Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
kundalini
Orange Belt
Languages: English (C), Greek (low intermediate)

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby kundalini » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:15 pm

cjareck wrote:I've got the histopathology results. Luckily there was no cancer in the samples! I'm extremely happy with the visit to a surgeon-oncologist.

That's a great news. Despite not having any active target languages in common, I've been following your fascinating log. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your continued good health.
3 x
Iliad: 12 / 24

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 am

I'm registered for a colonoscopy - I will spend my 41st birthday in hospital not being able to eat. Never mind, I hope it will not be my last one!

A I've mentioned earlier, I started tracking progress spent on Mandarin and Arabic also. It will put slightly more statistics into my log, but I hope to gain more control over the times spent on each language that I learn. Nevertheless, I'm going to have fun from learning in the first place :)

Arabic
I didn't write sentences in Arabic regularly but reviewed all Anki cards daily. This language goes forward but slowly. During lat LE I was more or less (rather less) able to talk in something similar to Arabic. But I really lack vocabulary and grammar patterns.
Time spend on Arabic in May:
1st - 48 minutes (10 Anki, 13 ESKK, 10 writing Log, 15 LWT)

TOTAL: 48 minutes

Mandarin
Not much to report. I've watched one or two episodes of "My battalion" and reviewed Anki. I have a busy time with the deadline being more DEAD than a line on 5th May, so Mandarin is paying the price again. Time spend on Mandarin in May:
1st: 22 Minutes (22 Anki)

TOTAL: 22 minutes

Hebrew
I struggle to give Hebrew priority, and now I will see if it is true. In the statistics, I didn't include time spent on reading Ben Porat testimony to Agranat Commission since I mixed it with writing about it, and turning the stopper on and off would surely kill my will to read and to write ;) The PDF quality is so poor that I have to read it by myself; sometimes, I wrote it into Google Translate. But generally, my comprehension is about 25-30%. Surely enough to pick the crucial fragments. Today I'm going to continue work with that source. That is the nicest verb: "work". I can use my Hebrew as a tool in my Academic work :) Since I have to finish the chapter on military intelligence before the outbreak of the Yom Kippur War on 5th May, the next days will be full of using my Hebrew that way.
I'm also happy with my language exchanges. I noticed some time ago already that I can express myself in Hebrew quite well.
As for the statistics:
25th April - 30 minutes (18 Anki, 12 veterans)
26th - 35 minutes (10 Anki, 25 language exchange)
27th - 31 minutes (14 Anki, 10 podcasts, 7 veterans)
28th - 34 minutes (14 Anki, 20language exchange)
29th - 30 minutes (18 Anki, 12 veterans)
30th - 91 minutes (9 Anki, 72 podcasts, 5 adding vocabulary, 5 LWT)
1st Mai - 60 minutes (9 Anki, 46 podcasts, 5 the Kefar)

Total for last week: 4 hours (251 minutes)
Total for April: 20 hours (1212 minutes)
Total for May: 1 hour (60 minutes)
Total for 365 Challenge: 87,8 hours (5267 minutes)
8 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sun May 09, 2021 8:03 am

I've managed to keep up with my languages. I even continued with keeping track of the progress in Mandarin and Arabic. The deadline for my chapter about the intelligence before Yom Kippur War was extended, so I have a few more days. However, I go to the hospital for a colonoscopy for a period of two days, so I will not write anything in the two upcoming days. I will have my smartphone with me, so I hope to keep up with the 365 challenge.

I decided to change my statistics a bit, but since neither Excel nor I love each other, only some draft of it for last week:
Lnaugages-maj-1.png

Next time hopefully, I will add graphs for all activities in specific lanugages.

The lowest point of Hebrew is 30 minutes, just enough to fulfill the 365 Challenge requirements. I always cut the seconds, so this was surely above the minimum. As you can see, Mandarin is paying the price of lacking time (Assmil, especially since I didn't do anything new for a long time), and sometimes Arabic exceeds Hebrew.

Mandarin
Here only Anki repetitions. I added a few cards for the Hanping Chinese HSK deck, but more I work with the DLI Flamric Reader, and I add cards from the Chinese Prestudy addon. There is, however, a long way until I learn the first two texts.

Arabic
Here I had two language exchanges, I can speak something, but my LEP says he understands me. He is just nice, most probably ;) Unfortunately, I stopped writing my log. I had to do it because I was writing and didn't learn from the corrections due to lack of time. I decided to catch up with the corrected entries first and then start writing something new. In the first days, I even managed to work with LWT on the interview with the head of Egyptian intelligence during the Yom Kippur War.

Hebrew
Here Anki is my main field of study, but I also added some listening to it. Since I had either to bring my boys to school or to pick up them from it last week, I had one way free to listen to podcast :) It was about 15 minutes each time. I can add both ways to the hospital for the Covid-19 test yesterday and one way to the marketplace on Friday, and I reached 99 minutes of listening last week. I also worked with GLOSS reading lessons (level 1+). Yesterday I was happy to understand a lot about the weather! I hope to make the ODA test for reading at that level in June or even in May.
I also worked with the handwriting a little, but even my LEP had difficulties deciphering the document, so nothing strange that I didn't understand a lot.
Like the last time, I've been using Hebrew as a tool to work on my chapter about Intelligence. I didn't count it into my time study at all. I've adopted a strategy to paste the text into Google Translate, check for the crucial spots, and then read them carefully in Hebrew. I've noticed, however, that GT sometimes skips whole sentences! Just don't translate them... This is a strong argument that GT helps understand other languages but can not substitute language learning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 pm

While in hospital I didn't eat on Monday (only breakfast) and Tuesday (only supper) and didn't drink yerba mate, so ended up with a serious headache. But, this wasn't any problem. The most important thing - the colonoscopy results are very good - everything was normal! Also, the cancer marker CEA-153 is also within the limit. So it looks like I don't need to worry about cancer for the next three months :)
However, I have to present the results to the surgeon-oncologist in Toruń and also to go for control to Gdańsk to see the doctor who made the surgery.

The ongoing Gaza conflict caused switch in my learning routine - I stopped listening to the podcasts but started listening to Galei Tzahal ("IDF Waves") instead. I even watches some Al-Jazeera live in Arabic, recognizing mainly words like "missiles" and "occupation".

do16maja.png

Since I'm really busy the last few days, the statistics are still in rather a primitive form ;) Today's results are still incomplete.

Mandarin
While in hospital I listened 8 minutes of Assimil, but I didn't force myself to go forward. However, I have both energy and interest in Mandarin. So I started adding DLI Basic Course into Anki. It is very basic, but I like DLI's style very much.
On Wednesday I had my speech at the conference about civil wars. I've managed to do it quite well. I had only 15 minutes, so - taking my character into consideration - I could speak about a civil war on Mars and make an impression that I know something on the topic :D

Arabic
This time Arabic paid the price of lack of time. I hope to get back on track today.

Hebrew
In my schedule, I didn't include working with Hebrew even if I spend quite a lot of time writing an article about the intelligence before YKW war. A friend of mine asked me to read some fancy Hebrew letters that were too complicated for the OCR. I've managed to do it and also to understand what was going on. This was fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun May 16, 2021 9:07 pm

cjareck wrote:to see the doctor who made the surgery.

Normally we would say: "to see the doctor who did the surgery."

Good news! :)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm

rdearman Thanks for the correction! "Making" is for creating something while "doing" is just performing activities. At least I remember the difference in that way. I was writing too quickly to remember. So the surgeon did the surgery and made some big scars on that occasion. Is it the correct usage now? ;)

I was busy the last few days, mainly with my article and unfortunately with Civilisation VI ;) From time to time good strategy is necessary to keep up high morale ;) My forum activity and mostly Arabic paid the price this time.

do23 maja.png

Hebrew
I finally figured out how to create graphs for my various activities.
Hbw9-15.png

This is the earlier one. The increase in listening is due to the time spend riding the bike to various places. I switched to radio due to Gaza Conflict.
Hbw16-22.png

This week I also continued listening to the radio while riding my bike. This improved the learning hours quite much, but it is unfortunately quite artificial since I didn't understand that much as I expected.
I also took the ODA test in reading Hebrew last week. Unfortunately, the result was worse than before, which was quite disappointing, especially since I worked through quite a few lessons last time.

Arabic
As mentioned earlier, my Arabic paid the price this time. Nevertheless, I tried to review vocabulary and put the rest of the 9th ESKK lessons into Anki. I also prepared sounds for the DLI 19th lesson. I listened to Al-Jazeera Arabic Live, but since I did it in the background, I didn't count it as a learning time.

Mandarin
After working with DLI, I decided to switch back to Assimil. I've prepared flashcards for the 38th lesson but didn't have time to review them. Hopefully, tomorrow after my seminars.
9 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon May 24, 2021 9:28 pm

cjareck wrote:rdearman Thanks for the correction! "Making" is for creating something while "doing" is just performing activities. At least I remember the difference in that way. I was writing too quickly to remember. So the surgeon did the surgery and made some big scars on that occasion. Is it the correct usage now?

Spot on!
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun May 30, 2021 7:39 am

During the week, I worked on a chapter about intelligence before the YKW war. It seems to be a neverending story, but I hope to finish it in the next few days. Yesterday I encountered another piece of evidence of the importance of language learning in my job! Israelis made the Agranat Commission materials public. It is an outstanding source, but the quality of the scans is so poor that OCR is impossible. A friend of mine found fragments of general Tal's testimony translated into English. I decided to use it but always confront with the original. There was a fragment:
"Everybody supported AMAN's assessment, except the head of Northern Command [...]. I opposed this assessment..."

When I checked, the original in place of "[...]" was something like "whose opinion I don't remember." So the translator changed the meaning of the Tal's words in favor of general Hofi (chief of the Northern Command). So you should always look for an original source, and every translation is an interpretation!

do30maja.png

Mandarin
I finally finished Assimil's 38th lesson and even added flashcards for the next one. I hope to review them this week. Since there is not much of the first volume left, I hope to push forward and finish it in June.

Arabic
I hope to have the ESKK 9th lesson finished in the next few days. Yesterday I even started adding the DLI's drills to Anki. So the dream would be to finish ESKK and the 19th lesson of the DLI this week. I think, however, that it is rather too ambitious, especially considering my overdue academic work.

Hebrew
My school was at home during the week because their school made it a holiday due to exams of the 8th-grade pupils, so I didn't have many occasions to ride a bike, and thus my listening practice was rather poor. Nevertheless, I pushed forward with adding the vocabulary of the podcast about the 188th Brigade. I've also had two very good LEs.
Hbw-23-29maj.png

The "other films" on Saturday were The Kefar series about various Hebrew roots while making pancakes for my children ;)
8 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 am

This was quite a complicated week, especially on the weekend since my boys had First Communion on Saturday. Nevertheless, I pushed forward with my language learning. However, I didn't have enough time to prepare the statistics. Hopefully, next time I will catch up with them.

Hebrew
I managed to meet the requirements for the 365 Challenge with quite a lot of listening to the podcasts, some watching interviews with veterans, and adding vocabulary. However, I need to get through about 10-15 minutes to have the 1st part of the podcast about the 188th Brigade.

Arabic
Currently, I am working on the 19th lesson of the DLI MSA Basic Course. I hope to finish adding flashcards this week.

Mandarin
Unfortunately, I limited myself to reviewing flashcards only
11 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:12 am

I used the last weekend for language learning, so I didn't have time to update my log. During the week, I was working mostly on a brochure about the battle of Limanowa in 1914 where besides Polish, I had to use my Russian, that unfortunately, still is quite poor. If time allows, I would like to improve it together with French.

do14czerwca21.png

Mandarin
Yesterday I started reviewing flashcards from the 39th lesson of Assimil's course. I hope to finish the lesson in the next few days and add the next one to Anki.
I found on the Internet and later on my hard disk the DLI's Mandarin Chinese Flamric Course that seems better than the "Modular Approach". I will look at it a soon as I will finish the first volume of Assimil.

MSA
Polish ESKK course introduces the passive voice but does it with the vocabulary about the Arabic cuisine. The next lesson also covers food. I found it quite boring and difficult, so I decided to switch to DLI for the nearest future.
I finished adding drills and vocabulary to the 19th lesson, even prepared audio and started adding presentation drills from the 20th lesson.
I hope to finish reviewing the 19th lesson this week and perhaps even add the 20th lesson during that time.
Currently, I enjoy working with the DLI's MSA Basic Course a lot!

Hebrew
I try to keep Hebrew my main field of interest, but this is not always the case. Nevertheless, I managed to fulfill the minimal requirements for the 365 challenge.
If I have time for listening (while riding a bike), I use it for Hebrew only. I'm happy to see the results of this approach already!
I also struggle to put vocabulary from the podcast of the 188th Brigade into Anki. I hope to finish the first part in July or even earlier.

As for the graphical statistics for the first days of June
Hbw1-5VI21.png

As for the last week:
Hbw6-12VI21.png
10 x

Return to “Language logs”