Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby cjareck » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:51 am

Happy Easter to you all!

Mandarin
There is little progress again. After finishing the 35th lesson, I couldn't find enough time for Mandarin. I've heard recently that there will be a new HSK formula from the Ask Andy channel. Since my learning isn't for any formal testing, this will have a little impact on me. I will only have to decrease my HSK level in the description of my language abilities here ;)

Arabic
My LEP proposed yesterday to advance to the next level. Instead of writing some unconnected sentences, I should start writing a short paragraph. The other, even more important step is to go from stories for children to real texts connected to military history. Since I have to prepare a chapter about military intelligence before the Yom Kippur War, I was more than happy to do it!
I've already fount this website. I am, of course, fully aware that it is rather a propaganda, but Audiatur et altera pars!
Since preparing for the LE takes quite a lot of my time, I do not progress with ESKK and DLI courses. The most important is, however, that I'm progressing with Arabic ;)

Hebrew
I didn't have the LE last week, but I made fair progress with the podcast about the 188 Brigade. Originally, the podcast is divided into three parts. I put each of them into LWT, and each is divided into two parts. I've completed one last week. So I'm on 1/6 of the way to complete it. I hope that each part will go quicker because I will know more and more words. Because of that, I consider "adding vocabulary" the most important but also the most time-consuming activity. It forces me to 100% focus, and I do not count the time spent looking for pictures for various words or phrases to make them prompts for Anki cards. So time spent on this activity is much longer than counted learning time.
After I finish listening to the podcast this time, I plan to start it with 1.5x speed. At list the part that I've translated and worked through with Anki.

I've also made a GLOSS lesson about security - level 1+. The complexity differed - all activities, but last was easy, the last was too difficult. I had to answer the questions, but I didn't understand the questions... Nevertheless, since the quiz was a repetition of one of the easy tasks, I've passed it with a 100% score. Now I hope to learn some vocabulary from that lesson via Anki.

As for the 365 Challenge statistics:
28th - 31 minutes (18 Anki, 6 adding vocabulary, 7 podcasts)
29th - 30 minutes (21 Anki, 9 adding vocabulary)
30th - 34 minutes (20 Anki, 14 adding vocabulary)
31st - 32 minutes (13 Anki, 9 adding vocabulary, 10 podcasts)
1st - 39 minutes (25 Anki, 14 podcasts)
2nd - 51 minutes (25 Anki, 16 podcasts, 10 adding vocabulary)
3rd - 40 minutes (17 Anki, 8 adding vocabulary, 15 GLOSS)

Total learning time in March: 19,3 hours (1158 minutes)
April so far: 2 hours (115 minutes)
Total learning time during 365 Challenge: 69,5 hours (4170 minutes)
7 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:12 am

cjareck wrote:Happy Easter to you all!

عيد فِصْح مَجيد! :)
1 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 am

Maiwenn wrote:
عيد فِصْح مَجيد! :)

شكرا!
1 x

Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Latin, Classical Hebrew
Studying: Classical Chinese, Italian, German, Japanese, Ancient Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

Postby Ezra » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:12 pm

Changes in HSK exam are drastic! :o The most drastic is the necessity to write by hand. A lot of Chinese and Japanese learners skip this step, seems like Chinese ones will have to up their language game :D.
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Ezra wrote:. A lot of Chinese and Japanese learners skip this step, seems like Chinese ones will have to up their language game :D.

I think that native speakers also due to electronic devices that provide simple input by giving pinyin. I tried to learn to write characters, but it is a time-consuming and unnecessary skill for me.
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 am

I've just taken the ODA in Hebrew (listening). It showed that I have the 1+ level already! So in 25% of time I've achieved 50% of the goal ;) At least as far as listening skill is concerned. I know that improving from 1+ to 2 is harder, but I have quite a lot of time for that. It will be really difficult since I barely understood a few words from the level 2 recordings during the test.
Current level (1+): content: 83,33%, linguistic: 90%
Target level (2): content: 5,56%, linguistic: 68,18%
It seems that my grammar isn't that bad after all ;)
14 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:35 am

Time goes quickly! Time for this week's update. One day earlier, since I've done the Hebrew reading test, it seemed better to merge it with a weekly update. Perhaps someday, I will try to take the ODA tests for my other languages. I think I will start with Russian, French, and German to determine their respective levels. Perhaps later this year, I will try with level 1 Arabic. Mandarin will have to wait even more.

Hebrew
As mentioned above, I've done the ODA in reading. This time the result was not that good, unfortunately. I am still on level 1. Well, I was afraid that it would be that since I didn't practice reading at all. The test showed me some suggestions which I hope to follow soon. Nevertheless, there is some improvement in comparison to December's results.

Current level
Content: 83% in both tests
Linguistic: 90% -> 100%

Target level
Content: 25% -> 50%
Linguistic: 63% -> 76%

The progress is slightly too slow to achieve level 2 in December, but I hope to speed it up by adding reading practice to my learning schedule. I hope to reach 1+ in June when I plan to test myself again.

Total progress - with listening going beyond and reading behind schedule, seems to be satisfactory.

I decided that I will struggle to include GLOSS lessons (or tests) into my weekly learning schedule. Hopefully, we will see that in my future statistics also ;)
As for this week:
4th - 33 minutes (16 Anki, 6 adding vocabulary, 11 GLOSS*)
5th - 63 minutes (23 Anki, 5 adding vocabulary, 35 GLOSS)
6th - 38 minutes (30 Anki, 8 reading hand script)
7th - 49 minutes (19 Anki, 5 adding vocabulary, 25 language exchange)
8th - 50 minutes (11 Anki, 35 podcasts, 4 adding vocabulary)
9th - 32 minutes (21 Anki, 11 veterans)
10th - 49 minutes (15 Anki, 4 adding vocabulary, 3 veterans, 27 GLOSS )

* GLOSS activity includes doing lessons, adding vocabulary from the lessons, and doing ODA tests)

Mandarin
I finished the 36th Assimil lesson and started the 37th. I hope to finish it the following week and at least start the next one. Two lessons per week would be an optimal solution for me. I returned to watching "My battalion" so I also add some vocabulary from my specialization, like 副营长 (Fù yíng zhǎng). I understood it from the context since the two last characters mean "battalion commander". The political commissar is 政委 so, according to my knowledge, it was essentially the only possibility ;)
I also try to add new vocabulary from the Hanping Chinese HSK deck, but not too quickly, so I will not get overwhelmed by new hanzi.

Arabic
I work with my LEP on text connected to my field of interest. I've found an interesting interview with the chief of Egyptian military intelligence during the Yom Kippur War. It is, of course, his point of view and mostly propaganda, but I want to learn about his point of view and to acquire vocabulary concerning that. So the text is perfect for that purpose. I need to write a short chapter on military intelligence before that war.
13 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:24 am

This was also a speedy week. I expected to get the histopathology results, but they were not ready yet. Nevertheless, it made me stressed and slowed me down. On Saturday I have to go to see a surgeon-oncologist. I hope to have the results on that day.
My effort is divided among the three languages, and I think that in May, I will start tracking the progress of Arabic and Mandarin also.

Arabic
I've tried to do a GLOSS listening lesson on level 1. I've got my certificate, but it was slightly too difficult even if I felt that the pronunciation is artificial - too clear and too slow. Nevertheless, I will try to put the vocabulary into Anki.
My LEP reads an article about Egyptian military intelligence, and I slowly put it into Anki. I translate it in LWT also.
Yesterday I worked on the ESKK course.
Too many materials and too little time!

Mandarin
Here I've finished only the 37th lesson and didn't go further with Assimil. I've tried the DLI's Flamric Intermediate Reader because I found the sound to the texts, but it turned out that it is called "intermediate" for a reason ;) Nevertheless, I will try to learn vocabulary from the 1st lesson via Chinese Prestudy and later put the sentences into Anki.
I translated both first lessons in LWT a long time ago.
I'm watching the "My battalion" series, and I recognize some characters or even phrases. That is really fun!

Hebrew
Hebrew should be my main field of study, but I didn't exceed much of the minimum time required for the 365 Challenge this week. I did an interesting experiment by listening to the well-known part of the podcast about the 188th Brigade with speed increased to 1.5 (time in the statistics is the real-time spend on listening). IT was nice to discover that, even if I had to focus more, my comprehension was on the same level :) I will listen to it to the end in the future and later do it with others.
I also managed to work with GLOSS - yesterday, I've completed the reading lesson from the 1+ level about tourism. It was fairly easy for me! I found the method to download the sounds for a glossary for the lesson (via Google Chrome and Web Developer tools), and t adding only them to Anki is possible.
As for the statistics:
11th - 30 minutes (15 Anki, 15 veterans)
12th - 30 minutes (16 Anki, 14 veterans)
13th - 35 minutes (22 Anki, 13 adding vocabulary)
14th - 31 minutes (18 Anki, 13 veterans)
15th - 36 minutes (16 Anki, 20 language exchange)
16th - 61 minutes (24 Anki, 8 podcasts, 6 adding vocabulary, 23 GLOSS)
17th - 41 minutes (22 Anki, 6 adding vocabulary, 13 GLOSS)

Last week: 264 minutes (4,4 hours)
April: 708 minutes (11,8 hours)
The 365 Challenge: 4763 minutes (79 hours)
8 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 am

I've got the histopathology results. Luckily there was no cancer in the samples! I'm extremely happy with the visit to a surgeon-oncologist. He really took time to look into the documentation to examine me. He ordered the colonoscopy so there will be some stress more, but he also told me a road map of the next visits which gave me the feeling "he is expecting me to survive those years", but it is a course totally unrelated.

I'm working on a review of a Ph.D. about Austro-Hungarian supply units in the Carpathian Campaign of 1914-1915. This is the first time when I act as a Ph.D. reviewer :) Luckily it is very good and reading is a pleasure! I don't expect to get much of such tasks since I am rather known due to my critical reviews as well in academic journals as well on my YouTube channel. But I respect my name more than money :)

Arabic
Due to complications with terms, I didn't speak this week with my LEP. Nevertheless, he corrected my sentences all the time and even started recording pronunciation which I find really useful. Nevertheless, due to a great amount of work, I didn't progress well with Arabic, although I've worked with the ESKK course a little.

Mandarin
As usual, Mandarin paid the price for lack of my time. However, even if I didn't do anything new with the Assimil, I worked slowly with the Chinese Prestudy (for the text in Flamric Reader about the Tiananmen Square) and Hanping HSK Deck.

Hebrew
For the first time, I didn't manage to pass the text on the GLOSS lesson! It was not because I didn't understand the tasks. One of the exercises, that was repeated on the test was to combine the Hebrew phrase with the English phrase to form a sentence. Those were the instructions in the case of the alarm. I simply didn't remember them as they were quite similar to each other (something like "stay below the window line" or "keep away from windows").
Hebrew also paid the price of little time available, but I've managed to fulfill the conditions of the 365th Challenge:
18th - 30 minutes (15 Anki, 15 veterans)
19th -30 minutes (14 Anki, 16 veterans)
20th - 34 minutes (16 Anki, 18 GLOSS)
21st - 37 minutes (17 Anki, 20 language exchange)
22nd - 31 minutes (27 Anki, 4 veterans)
23rd - 30 minutes (13 Anki, 7 adding vocabulary, 10 veterans)
24th - 61 minutes (17 Anki, 24 podcasts 1,5x speed [actual listening time], 20 minutes grammar videos [The Kefar])

Last Week total: 4 hours (253 minutes)
April total: 16 hours (961 minutes)
365 Challenge total: 83,6 hours (5016 minutes)
21 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:13 pm

Hooray for no cancer in the samples! That is wonderful news, cjareck.
4 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Language logs”