Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby cjareck » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:13 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:My hat is always off to you for learning two tough languages, Hebrew and Arabic (not to mention English ;) ), and putting them to practical use.

Thank you very much for your kind words, but you are an excellent language learner so don't be so modest! Ancient Greeck surely isn't easy too!

MorkTheFiddle wrote:And I look forward to your resuming your video posts. :)

I will prepare something in English if only health allows it. Especially since I have better equipment and my skills as a Youtuber improved. Only English needs some practice.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:33 pm

English
I looked at my materials for a video about the battle of Gorlice. It needs a lot of work, but I hope to finish it during the winter holidays in February. Preparing a script is one thing, and presenting it is a second one. I have two variants here:
- read it - artificial, but at least grammatically and stylistically correct (thanks to Grammarly :lol: )
- say it - natural, but with errors in grammar style and vocabulary
Both cases will, of course, include my faulty pronunciation...
What would be better for English speakers?

Mandarin
I've added the 57th Lesson of the Assimil course and scanned and OCRed the whole 2nd volume. This makes adding flashcards from the lessons easier and quicker. If I complete one Lesson each week, I will finish the course in 2023!
In November, my LEP helped me order some historical books (12 kg of them :D ), and they should arrive in January. This will be a HUGE motivation to learn Chinese!

Hebrew
Hebrew isn't in learning mode. I translated a few lines from the "Rock" Plan into Polish and had a LE. Interestingly I've translated a few sentences directly from German into Hebrew :) They weren't complicated, but I had to decipher the old German handwritten script first. I also included some Polish words since my LEP, as a historian, knows them very well.

Arabic
According to my 365 Challenge MSA is my main focus this year. Until now, it was easy to maintain the 30 minutes of learning. Adding flashcards is the most profitable, but I cannot do it every day. Since it isn't directly related to language learning, I count only 50% of the time spent on that activity.
As for Grammar - I started reading (again!) "ALL THE ARABIC YOU NEVER LEARNED THE FIRST TIME AROUND."
http://allthearabicyouneverlearnedthefi ... le-PDF.pdf

ESKK is a Polish course of MSA:
https://eskk.pl/kurs-arabski

While riding a bike, I listen to DLI or ESKK, but I also add flashcards from all the drills and examples.

Veterans, well, this is quite ambitious, but there are many days left, so maybe it will be helpful ;) I tried to listen to an interview with General Shazzly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC9em6D ... x=1&t=363s
Thanks to the knowledge about the context, I understood something from the historical introduction, but the interview itself was way too tricky for me. Maybe they are using the Egyptian dialect? I don't know. I will surely return to this later.

As for the statistics:
01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:35 pm

cjareck wrote:English
I looked at my materials for a video about the battle of Gorlice. It needs a lot of work, but I hope to finish it during the winter holidays in February. Preparing a script is one thing, and presenting it is a second one. I have two variants here:
- read it - artificial, but at least grammatically and stylistically correct (thanks to Grammarly :lol: )
- say it - natural, but with errors in grammar style and vocabulary
Both cases will, of course, include my faulty pronunciation...
What would be better for English speakers?
"Read it" would work better for me. Coping with grammatical errors can be quite a stumbling block to understanding.
I look forward to seeing the video. 8-)
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:16 pm

Well, it seems the rest of January will be full of hard work. This probably reduces my time for language learning. I will just have to wait for February when the semester pause comes.

Hebrew
Now Hebrew seems to be in a lost position. I slowly work on the "Rock" Plan. I also had my regular LE. I also need to introduce some listening or watching to avoid losing the achieved level. ANKI itself isn't enough to maintain the language.

Mandarin
I started adding the 58th Lesson of Assimil and slowly worked with LWT. I check only a few characters daily, but the more important is what I'm working on :) I've received a package from China:
Chinese-books.jpg

I made a scan and OCR of the Table of Contents of the Chinese official history of the Korean War 抗美援朝战争
Unfortunately, I can't put as many resources as I would like into it.

Arabic
I managed to keep the scheduler. Besides ANKI, I also listened to ESKK since it is the easiest one. Watching Al-Jazeera is somewhat random. If the context is known, I can understand something. In another case, I don't understand almost anything.
I also try to add flashcards for the 30th Lesson of the DLI course. I hoped to finish it this week, but it has to wait at least a few more days.
Nevertheless, I had 342 minutes of Arabic, clearly more than the minimum of 210.
02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
13 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:01 am

Yesterday it was time for the weekly update, but I was too tired to write it. Nevertheless, I continued my language study!

Hebrew
I had a LE on Monday and could talk almost freely about some basic and well-known topics. Comparison between Germany in 1914 and Israel in 1967 since, for me, both countries attacked their neighbors, but the reasons for that were defensive. On Tuesday, I had an interesting experiment during LE. My LEP has found a letter in Yiddish, but he doesn't speak the language. He only knows how to read it. So he read it aloud and I tried to understand it as if it was German. Because of the Internet problems, we could only go through the first few sentences, which really worked! There were some Hebrew words included, and the most interesting was the word "hashuvest" - "hashuv" means important in Hebrew, but the ending was from German, and adjectives with "-est" are simply in the superlative degree.

Mandarin
I continue with a slow translation of the TOC of the Chinese official history of the Korean War. My LEP records sentences for me, and I put them into Anki. No stress, no hurry, just for pleasure ;)

Arabic
I managed to keep up with the 30 minutes a day. However, in most cases, I limited myself to reviewing Flashcards and listening to audio where I had such a possibility (riding a bike or walking).
03.png
12 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:07 pm

And the next week passed quickly ;)

Mandarin
I still slowly translate the TOC of the official history of the Korean War. My LEP is recording chapter titles for me. Besides that, I finished the 57th lesson of the Assimil and started the 58th.

Hebrew
Not much activity here. I'm reviewing flashcards and spamming Hebrew learners' logs' here ;)
We concluded the Yiddish experiment with my LEP. I had some general idea of the text, but many details were missing. Nevertheless, it was the objective of my LEP - to check if the letter we read was important. He was able o determine that it wasn't. By the way, that stage is also an important milestone for me in learning languages—the moment you can specify the crucial information and where to focus translation efforts.

Arabic
It wasn't much problem to keep up with the challenge. I've finished the DLI Basic Course's 30th lesson and started working on the 17th lesson of the ESKK course. It will surely take some time, but hopefully, by the end of February, the 17th and 18th lessons of the ESKK will be finished. I will switch back to DLI and finish the 31st and 32nd lessons.

04.png
11 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:21 pm

I've missed the day of the update, but I fear that if I don't do this today, I will not do it for a long time again ;)

English
I've got an invitation to an online conference at the Ukrainian National Academy of Ground Forces. As they indicated, there are two languages available Ukrainian and English. A friend who passed me the invitation told me (based on his earlier experience) that Polish is undoubtedly acceptable. Nevertheless, I decided that it is an excellent opportunity to force myself into English ;) I must admit that speaking English with Slavs is strange, but there is no other option. I don't speak Ukrainian; my Russian is poor (not to mention the current political situation).
By the way, I will hit two birds with one stone :) I'm going to prepare a movie for my YT Channel. It will be about Israeli Armor in defense of the Golan Heights.

Hebrew
Unfortunately, nothing happened here. I even had quite a lot of Flashcards due. I need to watch some interviews with the veterans from Golan Heights. It will be the third bird killed with a Ukrainian stone ;)

Mandarin
I slowly go through TOC with LWT, and my LEP records the titles of the chapters for me. I hope to push Assimil forward this week.

Arabic
I also started working on LWT, and most of my activities are connected with the ESKK course. I listen to it when I can. Also, quite an essential part of the time spent on Anki is dedicated to reviewing Flashcards made from the ESKK materials.

5a.png

5b.png
11 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:26 pm

I missed last week's update, so I decided to do it as soon as I finished my cycle in MSA.

Mandarin
Not much progress here. I ask my LEP to record a few chapter titles weekly and learn them. It is quite a good solution for me. I feel my character recognition and vocabulary base are expanding.

Hebrew
I consulted with my LEP few complicated things with the "Sela" plan. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad, but even he had difficulty answering my questions and couldn't find an answer for a few.

Arabic
Arabic is still my primary language this year. When I have free time, I try to listen to it. I choose either ESKK or DLI, switching them when I have enough. I also add Flashcards - currently ESKK, but I hope to finish the 18th lesson next week. Reviewing added material will probably take quite a long time. I think that it will take about 2-3 weeks.
6.png

7.png
9 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:10 am

I didn't update my log last week, but the most important things happened the previous days, so it wasn't an important loss ;)

As for the online conference in Ukraine, I gave a speech in Polish. No one else had his lecture in English, so I decided it would be strange. By the way, I was able to understand some of spoken Ukrainian, so there is a hope that the Ukrainians understood my Polish ;)

Hebrew
I finally made a big comeback to the podcast about 188th Armored Brigade. I will continue it, even at an extremely slow pace. Besides that, Anki and LEs like usual.

Mandarin
I've finished the 59th Assimil lesson and even added flashcards for the next one. I plan to review them within the next few days. I also added lessons to the LWT so that I could focus on new characters. Until now, I managed to add lessons 50-52 and 60. I plan to add new ones as I learn them and also old ones so that I will have everything there soon.

Arabic
Here I also have excellent news! My LE returned, and I hope to meet him two times a week. It is crucial due to my focus on Arabic this year. He always explains my doubts, helps me practice speaking, and provides audio for sentences I wish to learn. Besides language profits, I am also happy because I like him and was worried about him.
I finished the 17th lesson of the ESKK course and added the 18th. There are a lot of flashcards left to review, but two weeks will be enough. Now I will switch to DLI and prepare flashcards for the 31st and 32nd lessons. Hopefully first will be ready in the next few days. As for the MSA statistics:
08.png

09a.png

09b.png

French
It was a surprise for me, but I was contacted by a French lady who wants to visit Poland. Even if we wrote mainly in English, we also exchanged some sentences in French. I realized that my passive skills are much better than my active ones. Even if that correspondence expires after the abovementioned trip, it motivated me to review French. If only I had more time! Nevertheless, I started doing something with that language ;)
11 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:20 pm

I had to change my daily schedule because since the 6th of March, I have had to provide care for my 97-year-old aunt, and I am a guest in my home. Slowly I regain the possibility of some active language learning.

French
I've corresponded regularly with my LEP, but I wrote in English in 90% of cases. I realized today that my reading skills are much better in French than my writing ones. I practiced reading many times during my academic research but barely wrote in the language.

Mandarin
I returned to Assimil, and I've prepared the 61st lesson today. I hope to review all the necessary flashcards tomorrow or on Monday. The next set of books that is traveling to me is an excellent motivation for the language ;)

Hebrew
I had some pause, but I've figured out the method of how to work with LWT in my current situation, so I've pushed slowly forward with the podcast about the 188th Armored Brigade.

Arabic
I've managed to work on the language 30 minutes per day, but in most cases, I limited myself to ANKI + listening while on my bike. I hope to finish ESKK 18th lesson within a few days and to start working seriously on DLI's 31st lesson. I also returned to my LE with the LEP I like very much! By the way, it seems that - thanks to LEP - my active skills in Arabic are better than in French! Both, of course, are very poor...
As for the statistics:
10.png

11.png
11 x

Return to “Language logs”