Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby cjareck » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 pm

Well, I limited that just to reviewing Anki. I would spend more time adding more cards but I simply do not have it. This prayer: https://www.theholyrosary.org/rosarynovena is quite time-consuming, but I prayed it four times for my children and never was disappointed with the results. The first time was for my boys to survive, then for operations of the smallest one. Thank God everything is OK. Now I am praying for myself. I don't force anyone to believe in God, I'm just stating that I'm a believer. That's all :)

The other time-consuming activity is helping my children to do their lessons. Mostly various technical stuff that only I can handle.

Language learning is a passion that I discovered a few years ago. It helps me not to worry too much. However, I still need some more time to really enjoy the results. But, even now, I showed my friends dealing with Arab-Israeli wars, that it is possible to use original sources in their academic work. They simply can't deny it now :lol:
So even in the darkest scenario, I may at least say Non omnis moriar... But let's assume the brighter scenarios! The battle which is not concluded, is not lost either!
8 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sat May 02, 2020 9:27 pm

My language-learning activities were almost entirely limited to reviewing flashcards. Luckily I managed not to have any overdue cards.
I also managed to listen a few minutes of an interview with "my veteran". I found some interesting phrases and noted a few sentences for a printed version of the interview. I hope to continue it in the future.
Next week seems to be Gradint-oriented. On Monday, I'm scheduled to hospital for chemotherapy for four days. I have no idea how I will react to that medicine, but since they put me in hospital for the whole cycle, I presume it will be neither nice nor easy. If I will not have enough energy for Anki, I hope to use Gradint lessons as lullabies ;)
4 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sun May 03, 2020 8:20 am

Wishing you the best for next week, cjareck!
2 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sun May 03, 2020 8:44 am

Me too! Get well soon!
2 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sun May 03, 2020 9:58 am

Wishing you strength and happy outcomes for what lies ahead!
2 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun May 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Hope next week goes well.
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun May 10, 2020 8:51 am

Let's say that my log will be partially English practice so I can write about my experiences and connect it to language learning ;)

English
So I was to go to a hospital for a four days on Monday. I asked a friend to give me a lift and he said - "if you need any help don't hesitate to ask - even after two hours". Well, I had to ask him even sooner. The oncologist who qualified me on April 30th quit his job with Mai 1st. He didn't prescribe anything so they couldn't prepare any medicine for me and had to release me home. I spoke with the head of the oncology department - a very nice man - and he explained everything in detail. On Tuesday I wasn't hospitalized, just got some drips there and got my infuser home and returned it on Thursday. The last two days were terrible, I was extremely weak but there are so many people supporting me, that I can't give up. I must say, that I felt like a hoplite in a first row - you wish to escape but you can't since there many other people behind you.

Do you remember my English article? The editor is doing corrections and I am about to receive the text soon. I will most probably ask you for help with that since it has to be both historically and grammatically correct.

HEBREW, MANDARIN and ARABIC
I mostly struggle with my Anki flashcards. I hope to finish all my due cards today. In the last days, it was hard but I almost manage it yesterday. I decided not to push hard and just postpone it for today.
On Tuesday I had my regular LE in Hebrew, recently we discussed various topics from complicated Polish-Jewish relations. It was very interesting.

If anyone wonders, why I learn languages while standing on the edge of my life, the explanation is simple. As long as you do thing you are doing in normal circumstances you may forget that the circumstances are not normal. This is a spine that keeps all other things in place.
15 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Wishing you all the best!
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat May 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Last week was quite good. On Monday, I started feeling normal, and this will probably continue until the next session of chemotherapy, which is scheduled for Wednesday.

English
I received my article about prisoners of the polish-bolshevik war. It is not that bad as I expected, but there will be some corrections and additions.

I'm also working on my book on the battle of the Marne - the draft is already finished. It is now polishing the text.

Mandarin
Unfortunately, my LEP from China lost interest in texting to me, and I hadn't enough energy to restore the connection. Well, perhaps he will write later. Nevertheless, my actions with Mandarin are limited to reviewing Anki flashcards. That will probably continue until my recovery. Mandarin is beautiful, but I simply may not have enough time to profit from the time invested in learning it.

Arabic
The same as for Mandarin. I limited myself to reviewing Anki flashcards; perhaps I will start working through my courses since I need the language to have second side of Arab-Israeli conflict. But making MSA a usable tool will also cost a lot of time and hard work.

Hebrew
Since Hebrew is at the most advanced stage and I have two very nice LEPs, I'm concentrating on it. I even managed to add some words and phrases into Anki. Today I made a GLOSS lesson of level 1. I made it a long time, ago and now it was very easy for me. I plan to do some more in the nearest future.
I had my LE, which was very satisfactory as usual :) On Monday and Tuesday, I will have meetings with both my LEPs so I will have some immersion before my chemotherapy.
11 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sat May 16, 2020 8:27 pm

I'm glad to see you are doing well!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”