Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby cjareck » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:08 pm

I didn't update my long for a long time. Everything is OK. I simply didn't have enough time to write a log entry. That is why I decided to quit the 365 Challenge. I was able to find time for learning but not for tracking and reporting the time.

Hebrew
I listened to interviews with veterans and gathered all the information I needed from them. My LEP confirmed my translation and explained some unknown words in crucial parts. But even he said that I understood everything correctly. I must find time for reading in Hebrew soon. It will also be an important milestone for me!

Arabic
I've decided to focus on Arabic this year, and it goes well! I've added flashcards for the 11th and 12th ESKK lessons and even managed to review the first of them. Quite an achievement, since before I made only ten lessons in two years or so ;)
I also listened to the ESKK course many times, and I think it helped me also.
I also re-established contact with my LEP, and we worked on a chapter of an Egyptian book about the 25th Armored Brigade Ambush. I started using it in LWT also. So, I have a native material already in action ;)
Nevertheless, my level of Arabic is still way too low to listen to random videos (like Al-Jazeera, for example) and to understand more than a few words.

Mandarin
I worked a little with an article about the Ussuri conflict, but work has slowed down significantly due to a lack of time. I hope to find some more time soon since I am highly impressed with the language, and it makes a lot of fun to recognize some characters in Chinese movies!
13 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:03 am

Well, I disappeared for quite a long time! Everything with my health is OK. I was just too busy with various activities to update my log.

SUMMARY
I didn't quit language learning, though. I've just updated my progress bars, and it turned out that I've finished:
- 2 lessons of Assimil's Mandarin - I would do more, but they were boring for me...
- 4 lessons of the Polish ESKK Arabic course
- 1 lesson of the DLI MSA course (I've prepared flashcards for the next one, so perhaps I will finish it this week)

I also have language exchanges in Hebrew and Arabic regularly. I've noticed that I can understand most of what veterans say, and I can also communicate with my LEP. I can get my message to him, even if not always in the correct form. I still need to focus on understanding what he says, but my comprehension level is satisfactory.

I regret starting 365 Challenge with Mandarin and Arabic, which resulted in quitting soon after. I should pick Arabic only and push it as much as I can. Nevertheless, I already see some progress in the language. My LEP translated a chapter of the book "Battles on the Egyptian front," and I made flashcards from it. It is challenging, but I have native material already.

PLANS
I will continue with my current languages, but I will try to give Arabic priority since it may soon become a tool in my historical research. Mandarin will have to wait a little more.
I've also decided to start an English-language channel on YT about military history. I have owned one in the Polish language for almost three years, and I've gathered some experience. Now, I "just" need to improve my English so it will not distract viewers' attention too much or will not annoy them. :)
20 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:25 pm

Welcome back in these topsy-turvy times! Do keep us up-to-date about your YT channel.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:57 pm

Have you had a chance to utilize your military and language expertise with regards to the ongoing "special military operation" next door?
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:41 pm

lichtrausch wrote:Have you had a chance to utilize your military and language expertise with regards to the ongoing "special military operation" next door?

Well, my predictions were a disaster. Even on February 23rd, I said there would be no war. When it started, I told everyone it would be a short victory. So I failed miserably on both occasions. My Russian is rather basic, but I can figure out things I need and utilize them. I teach my students the contemporary military art of war, so we spoke A LOT about the ongoing "special military operation." I was also annoyed that I spent years learning Hebrew and Arabic instead of just a few months that I needed for Russian and Ukrainian...
9 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:39 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:! Do keep us up-to-date about your YT channel.

After much consideration, I've made the first step :) Hopefully, what I'm saying is understandable, and my accent isn't that much annoying. I've included the subtitles, so it should be easier to understand.

Now I need to prepare something interesting from the field of military history :)
15 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:12 pm

You seem to have lost some weight since the photo was taken. Your English is quite good. :)
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:24 pm

rdearman wrote:You seem to have lost some weight since the photo was taken.

Yes, after my surgery, complete Gastrectomy, I've lost about 20 kg. I always wanted to lose some weight, so my dream came true, although not necessarily the way I would like ;)
rdearman wrote:Your English is quite good. :)

Thanks! I had some training in writing, but not in speaking. I used Grammarly to correct my script and then put it into free TTS to listen to the pronunciation of words and phrases. Hopefully, it will help me improve my speaking skills!
8 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:35 pm

What a pleasure to hear you speak. So few members here, especially those whose native language is not English, have given us a sample of their speech. To hear you talk is motivational. Polish and English are rather different, yet you make yourself clear and understandable. Not necesarily with a perfect accent, but it makes me think a bit of certain European film actors who have succeeded in American movies. Keep 'em coming.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:40 pm

Cjareck, I just subscribed to your channel. :)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”